Percentage of WVO?

StlJimmy

TDI
99.5 Jetta
I have been running B100 most of the year... for the past few years and I dig using alternative fuels. I have read and debated using WVO. My problem with getting a full kit is cost. I figured I would have to run 50,000 miles for the kit to pay for itself by saving the $1/gallon it costs to make Biodiesel if I were to brew myself. Although I have never ran WVO, I want to give it a try this summer. I have a very consistent source that I can get in cubies without any water contamination. This Christmas Santa gave me injector lines heater, and will be installing soon. Word on the street is that you can run up to 30% WVO and not have any problems with the ALH. With the injector lines heater, it is tempting to run an even higher percentage. Would adding a resistor on the fuel temp sensor help? Anyone here run a %age of WVO and not have a kit?

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
If I recall correctly some studies have found you can safely run 5% without any issues. At those numbers it is about 1 gallon/tank.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I don’t think 30% would work in cold weather. You might get away with it in the summer. If you want to run WVO, and I think that’s fine, I would get a 2 tank kit. If you don’t do that, I would agree with GoFaster that biodiesel might be better, as long as you are comfortable making it.
Perhaps you can find someone selling a used Greasecar or Frybrid kit? I’ve seen them on Craigslist and ebay, maybe even on here.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
An ALH Jetta uses so little fuel anyway why mess with "fueling it wrong"? I don't mean that bio/renewable fuels are wrong, but IMO adding WVO to your diesel tank is fairly wrong.

StlJimmy

TDI
99.5 Jetta
I also don't think 30% would work in the cold. My car stalled out today with the 14 degree weather. I knew this cold weather was coming and tried to run all of the biodiesel out, but had maybe 1.x gallons and 4 gallons of diesel. For the summer, I would like to add some WVO into the mix. If I don't get a lot more input, I'll start with the 5% and ease my way up. I have looked for used WVO kits, and haven't had a lot of luck. I have a feelin a lot of them were not sold for the tdi? Centrifuges and biodiesel plants do pop up though. There is one of each now locally.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
There are some advantages to WVO. Once you have the kit, there is essentially no cost for the fuel. You can burn pure WVO no matter how cold it is, in a two tank system. With biodiesel, you will probably have to mix it with dino diesel, possibly in a pretty high proportion during very cold weather. A two tank system gives you a partial redundant system, and a phenominal range on both tanks. You may not be comfortable with the dangerous chemicals and proccesses for making biodiesel; I was not.

Of course, biodiesel also has advantages. If you have more than one diesel, you can use the fuel in all of them. You can even use it in you home oil burner, if you have one. And you do not have to modify your vehicle at all. Some feel biodiesel,is more reliable. I disagree, but there is avalid argument there.

Perhaps try posting a wanted ad? I suspect there are a few of those kits just sitting in people’s garages, smelling and taking up space.

Last edited:

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
An ALH Jetta uses so little fuel anyway why mess with "fueling it wrong"?

philngrayce is correct.

I have been running a 2 tank Frybrid setup for 10 years and have driven over 250,000 miles on WVO. As to the why, the numbers speak for themselves. I figure I haven't spent $20K on fuel during that period.