PD Auto Transmission won't shift when cold

manics01

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
Hi, I recently started experiencing signs of transmission failure... I have a 2005 BEW PD with automatic tiptronic transmission. When car is cold in the morning it will not shift from the first gear with RPMs revving up. I stop and wait for like 3-5 mins for it to warm up and then it shifts fine. I would like to get some feedback on the problem I'm experiencing from people who dealt with similar problems before. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

manics01

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
Transmission problem

Searching through the posts I've also seen some references made here on TDI club to a transmission range selector module on PDs located under the battery compartment that might malfunction, and also some references made to the TCM requiring update/change... But am not yet clear how to determine which one of it is at fault and whether it is the issue of poor grounding/corrosion/clogging in that area or whether it may be a more serious problem ... Thanks!

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Stupid question: have you scanned the TCM /ECU with VCDS to determine if there are any fault codes stored?

manics01

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
Transmission problems

Yes, there was a fault code. Someone who checked it told me what it was and I did not think of writing it down. As he explained, the fault indicated that the transmission did not know in what state it was and what to do. Yeah, I know it sounds crazy. Initially, I'd put it in the parking selector and then Drive and it would be fine. Then it appeared the next morning and it required to be a little warmed up. Now it pops up every morning and I have to warm her up a little longer. I'm hoping it is something electrical but am bracing for the worst :(

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Manic, welcome to Fred's! Do you know how many miles are on this car? Has the transmission ever been maintained?

manics01

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
Transmission problem

Running a search on the error code here on TDI found that it might be the sticking N92 solenoid ... Anyone could tell me if there could be any other issues I should look at apart from this solenoid? Also, should I buy the solenoid from the dealer or generic aftermarket are of no difference? Thanks for the tips everbody!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Get in touch with coolairvw, our transmission guru here. I have the same transmission and would like to know the outcome.