RyanP's 02M 6 Speed Tranny Conversions for VW Golf Mk4 (A4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
PM's replied!!

I've never actually stripped a 6 speed Beetle so i've never had one of the proper boots, shoot me a P/n and i can offer them new!

Now now Girls, no arguing! haha, I've done more! lol

que4dog

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI
Ok I'm ordering from ryanp and I am ready. I did a lot of reading and I will start pulling the 01m Auto out of a 2001 Beetle TDI today. If anyone has any tips specific to Beetles, please chime in. I'm a Mustang Turbo guy, but this forum is wonderful and all that have contributed are very much appreciated already.

Thanks!

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Good laughs - I think Matt is RyanP's Midwest warehouse - everytime I'm at
Matt's, I see 2-3-4 6-speeds awaiting installation.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
i LOVE my 6 speed!!! its a big job, but VERY doable... and now I have to look into a short shift kit, this thing is like rowing a boat!!

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
i LOVE my 6 speed!!! its a big job, but VERY doable... and now I have to look into a short shift kit, this thing is like rowing a boat!!
Aren't they nice :)? Instead spending $200, as long as you have the pin style linkage, get the 42 DD shift bushing inserts and send me the two shift linkage parts. I can easily mod them for about a 15-20% reduction both ways. On the house for you ;).

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
I wish I lived closer to you Matt. but I can't be without my car...maybe next time, when you put in a LSD for me!!:D:D:D

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
PM's replied!!

I've never actually stripped a 6 speed Beetle so i've never had one of the proper boots, shoot me a P/n and i can offer them new!

Now now Girls, no arguing! haha, I've done more! lol
I'm wanting to do a 6sp manual B5.5 TDI conversion. If you have any offering or suggestions, PM me. I just bought my wife a B5.5 and I fell in love with it minus the AT.

que4dog

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI
Ok. I have the 01m Auto Trans removed from my 2001 TDI Beetle. I purchased the ERF 6-speed but my flywheel bolts won't work with the clutch system I received. Where can I get flywheel bolts? What type vehicle do I look up if I ever wanted to purchase a new flywheel or other parts?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I'm wanting to do a 6sp manual B5.5 TDI conversion. If you have any offering or suggestions, PM me. I just bought my wife a B5.5 and I fell in love with it minus the AT.
I've kept away from the Passat conversions as there are too many variables!!

Ok. I have the 01m Auto Trans removed from my 2001 TDI Beetle. I purchased the ERF 6-speed but my flywheel bolts won't work with the clutch system I received. Where can I get flywheel bolts? What type vehicle do I look up if I ever wanted to purchase a new flywheel or other parts?
N 90665001 x 6 - I'll stick a set in the post if you are not in a rush?

The Gasser parts are very similar but Starters, Flywheels/clutch and the ratios are all diesel specific I'm afraid.

Thanks

que4dog

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI
I've kept away from the Passat conversions as there are too many variables!!

N 90665001 x 6 - I'll stick a set in the post if you are not in a rush?

The Gasser parts are very similar but Starters, Flywheels/clutch and the ratios are all diesel specific I'm afraid.

Thanks
Thanks!

sootie

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDIs for now :-(
Okay I have a issue with my 6-speed swap. My car is a 2005 MK-IV with the Tip, and I am swapping over to the 6-speed. Issue is my Tip did not have a speed sensor, yet the 6-speed does. Do I need to wire it up? I am guessing my MK-4 was late in the run and VW swapped over to the latter style Tips used in the MK5. Gotta to love parts bin bastard children.

I can't wait to get this conversion done!!!!

Last edited:

que4dog

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI
...N 90665001 x 6 - I'll stick a set in the post if you are not in a rush?

Thanks
While I'm waiting for the bolts, I was thinking about doing the timing belt. Since the Trans is not in, would it be better if I drop the engine to ease the tb job and install both trans and engine together?

Thanks, Carlos

sootie

Veteran Member
TDI
Depends on your work shop. Some cars I drop the engine on, 914s, Nissan Sentra Spec Vs, And with my TDI sitting here sans trans, I am thinking it might be easier also. Only issue is getting it back in there.

So if you have a lift this becomes easy, just build a cradle, lower the car down, unbolt the engine and raise the car up and bingo, you have full access to the engine for timing belt and water pump change. With out a lift it becomes harder, still doable, but harder.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
While I'm waiting for the bolts, I was thinking about doing the timing belt. Since the Trans is not in, would it be better if I drop the engine to ease the tb job and install both trans and engine together?

Thanks, Carlos
I guess it wont be a bad idea, ezpecially if you are due a coolant and PAS fluid change! I remove the entire front of the car to swap engines, make is much easier!!

Okay I have a issue with my 6-speed swap. My car is a 2005 MK-IV with the Tip, and I am swapping over to the 6-speed. Issue is my Tip did not have a speed sensor, yet the 6-speed does. Do I need to wire it up? I am guessing my MK-4 was late in the run and VW swapped over to the latter style Tips used in the MK5. Gotta to love parts bin bastard children.

I can't wait to get this conversion done!!!!
Sounds like yours might take the speed sensor from the ABS system, I've not see this issue before but run out models are normally a little strange, haha!

que4dog

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI
Correct replacement parts

...The Gasser parts are very similar but Starters, Flywheels/clutch and the ratios are all diesel specific I'm afraid.

Thanks
I'm still a little confused..I have a 2001 Beetle TDI swap to a 6-speed ERF. If I need to order Transmission parts, starters, flywheel or clutch etc... Parts for a manual 2001 Beetle TDI are different correct?
What is the correct Car/Year search for the parts? Is it MK4 TDI 2001? Are the 5-speed & 6-speed clutches different?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
If you look at my howto, towards the end there is a starter parts list for the 02M diesel. I think on page 35. They are easy to get and the chinese brand Lester has a Bosch knockoff that I have in one car working very well. As far as clutches are concerned, the only real choices are the clutches that Ryan sells for this application or from southbend. I have a gasser LUK for the 1.8T in my Jetta but it is not right. It works but it's not quite right. The only clutch I would use is the Sachs for the PD150 or if you want to go with SMF, southbend has what you need.
Hope that helps.
Transmission parts, check out whitbread on this site. He can help you.
Yes MKIV 2001 is correct. The 5 and 6 speed flywheel/clutch setups are different.

Last edited:

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Just gonna throw this out there about the SBC TDI kit they sell. the Flywheel is HEAVY!!! i forgot to call them for the weight, but I have noticed a HUGE decrease in performance. my Golf is not as peppy as it was. I did have a 17 lb. fly wheel before this one. So if you are looking for total performance, you might want to tolerate a 'little' noise.
BUT, to be fair, the TDI kit is VERY quiet. i get a little rattle once and a while, I hit the clutch and it goes away.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
I dont think i agree, i went from a super light G60 to a DMF weight flywheel on my Mk2 and there was no decrease in performance, that was measured, if you did notice something its worth it for the lack of noise!!

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Oh it IS quiet, no doubt about that, but I can definitely tell that the flywheel is heavier, remember, we are enthusiasts, and we KNOW our cars. to the very minute details sometimes...

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdikook, Is that their new silent design you have? Ryan, is the new silent design flywheel pressure plate combo comparable weight wise with the Sachs pd150 setup?

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
I bought the South Bend Clutch TDI specific clutch system. it is on Ryan's website. or on the South bend website.

sootie

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay my swap is done, well almost. I need to find the coding in my old ECU to run the speedo, thats the only thing I am missing right now. But I have a GPS so no worries, just leave it on the speed screen.

Ryan so you know, Here are the things I ran into with my odd 05 end of model car.

Tranny mount is different, mine was a three bolt in a triangle patteren. Just had to get another upper mount and that problem was solved.

Heat shield on my car bolted the the transmission. I used it and built a bracket to mount it to the engine block. CV joint bolts happen to fit the block holes perfectly.

No speed sensor plug, so mine is being pulled off the drivers side wheel ABS ring, theres a second sensor over there. Always wondered what it was for now I know.

Since I swapped ECUs to run all the extra fun euro stuff I got from you, I forgot to have it done up for the speed sensor. I will send my old one out and get it reprogramed and that should fix the speedo issues.

Other than that the car is running like a rapped ape. Love the transmission, love the Peloquin, and the South Bend clutch, while the flywheel was 29 pounds it is super quite and perfect amount of pedal pressure. Matter of fact it seems pretty light to me.

Ryan thanks for all your help, and your excellent service, way to go.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
spartan has done a write up of the wiring differences of his 2005 Jetta. This write up is now included in the howto wiring section 7.

que4dog

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI
Yes! The Beetle is complete. It's a pleasure to drive without all the auto troubles. All systems operating such as reverse light, safety start etc. The only problem is the cruise switch is not working... Collar appears broken and does not adjust. So far after two driving days, no issues other I than a slight occasional miss when it returns to idle while at a traffic light that I didn't notice before. Over all, the car rides great...I can't wait to do the math on mpg on my next fill.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you check your IQ with vagcom? It could be that when you recoded the transmission the IQ shifted to a much lower number so you will need to do the hammer mod to bring it back into line. I know that on my last auto to manual swap the IQ went from 4.5 to 0.3. I could hardly get the car running.

que4dog

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI
Did you check your IQ with vagcom? It could be that when you recoded the transmission the IQ shifted to a much lower number so you will need to do the hammer mod to bring it back into line. I know that on my last auto to manual swap the IQ went from 4.5 to 0.3. I could hardly get the car running.
Thanks! That's exactly what it was. Mine was 0.8 and I adjusted it to 4.2 and the car runs extra smooth. Ryanp will take care of my switch as he has very good customer services and quick response.

Status
Not open for further replies.