Idle how many seconds to save turbo?

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
I own DSMs and Subarus. They are all turbocharged.

The rules of engagement are all different as to how long to let them idle after driving. In both cases, the answer is "0" seconds as far as I know and have never had issues beating the snot out of them.

I have read 30 seconds, 5 seconds, etc. for this car.

This car is driven like a turd. No interest in driving it fast whatsoever. More interested in the fuel economy aspect.

Ideas?

Thanks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you drive maybe 5-10 minutes or more on the freeway, then pull into your drive just a few minutes later, you may want to let it idle a few extra minutes. Otherwise don't don't worry about it.

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
If you drive maybe 5-10 minutes or more on the freeway, then pull into your drive just a few minutes later, you may want to let it idle a few extra minutes. Otherwise don't don't worry about it.
This, so far has been my highway only commute car. I drive it about 1.5 hours in each direction but baby it.

Even with that babying, I should still idle it after coming off the highway?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Maybe, usually the 5 or 10 minutes after getting off the 65MPH should be plenty cool down.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
First, don't baby it. You'll build up carbon in the EGR and head, collect oil in the intercooler, clog the turbo vanes. Diesels like to work. When I used to do track days in my TDIs they never ran better than after a good flogging on the track. And they love road trips. If traffic is providing cover I don't hesitate to run mine at 85+. It always runs better for it. Get it up to 4000 RPM or so regularly, too.

Regarding the turbo, the short answer is don't worry about it. I have an EGT gauge in my Wagon and if I am driving at 75-80 for a while and pull into a service area, if I use any engine braking the EGTs are down to 200 or less by the time I pull into a parking space. No problem.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Agreed, these cars love to be driven hard. Rings seat better, turbo seals better, and the carbon cleans out. The harder I drive mine the less oil it seems to burn.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
All good info. I've also heard that since they're vnt's, they all cool themselves off pretty easily after getting off the freeway. Typically I'll park, undo my seat belt, then turn off the engine. So maybe 15-30 seconds. The bigger thing is letting it warm up before really goosing it at cold start.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"if I use any engine braking the EGTs are down to 200 or less by the time I pull into a parking space. No problem" IBW

Judging from your user name, you have an auto. I found that for the short
time I had mine, it actually helped to shift the tranny. Drop it down to get
some engine braking and you should be good.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Diesels generally run much lower EGTs than gassers, evidenced by the fact that there are no coolant passages in ours. It just isn't a big deal. You use good oil, you don't worry about it. I've been on this forum for more than 20 years, and I've never seen any evidence of a turbocharger killed by oil coking in the CHRA.

Cheers,

PH

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
What Powder Hound said.... no coking in any of the many VNT15s I've disassembled for cleaning!

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
All of my turbo problems have always been sticking vanes after logging over 600,000. Usually on cars I have bought with a lot of miles that probably were never run hard. I drive in off a high speed road into my garage and turn it off. I think you really have to do something else wrong to blow out a turbo. I even have to idle my cars some days for more than an hour in the cold weather.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
"if I use any engine braking the EGTs are down to 200 or less by the time I pull into a parking space. No problem" IBW

Judging from your user name, you have an auto. I found that for the short
time I had mine, it actually helped to shift the tranny. Drop it down to get
some engine braking and you should be good.
Nope, his 02 wagon is a 5spd;)...

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
I do have an automatic. Thanks for all of the tips. Just going for fuel economy as a hobby (not a real need) so want to see how I high I can get my mpg to go even if I roast a turbo.

It's still a cheaper hobby than getting speeding tickets!! :)

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
True that. I love the cruise control. Keeps the gendarmes looking elsewhere for their jollies.

I've always been disappointed with the performance of the 01M from an economy standpoint. My wife insists on an auto, and she has a '03 NB with an auto. It appears to me that the mileage penalty due to the 01M is about 20%. Still, it soundly flogs her 1.8T Jetta in mileage.

Cheers,

PH