Kerma Hot swap program

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Nozzles, turbo, tune, exhaust, intercooler and I picked up mpg and I drove it like an A-hole pretty much at least once every time I started it...don't worry about making more power and loosing FE...you'll likely gain no matter what route you go. For nozzles I'd probably say pp520's or sprint 520's.

If you don't plan to keep the car because you love it for what it is and love the noises and torque it makes, you should sell it and get an older Accord 5 speed...you'll never get hardly anything for it if you put a bunch of money in it and if you don't keep it up, it'll be better off dead...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
If you are comfortable with doing it change the nozzles yourself. Pick a HP goal/tune then order nozzles that fit that goal. tunemyeuro are great for help when looking at your budget/hp outlook. They won’t steer you wrong and also are a direct Malone dealer.

Looking at what they have on their site a stage 1.5 tune gives you 122hp and 188tq. Only requirement besides tune is nozzles.
ok, and with that set up i wouldn't need a clutch then? maybe i should just do that. the main thing holding me back is clutch replacement. SB stage 2 is kind of a pricey clutch (at least to me) tho im sure it's totally worth it. i would need to try and do it myself (just price of clutch and tools), or have it done by a shop which im sure id be over $1300 in just a clutch/flywheel install.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Nozzles, turbo, tune, exhaust, intercooler and I picked up mpg and I drove it like an A-hole pretty much at least once every time I started it...don't worry about making more power and loosing FE...you'll likely gain no matter what route you go. For nozzles I'd probably say pp520's or sprint 520's.

If you don't plan to keep the car because you love it for what it is and love the noises and torque it makes, you should sell it and get an older Accord 5 speed...you'll never get hardly anything for it if you put a bunch of money in it and if you don't keep it up, it'll be better off dead...

sell it? haha no not planning on it. not unless she dies completely. im at 236k right now and am planning on driving it for the rest of my college years (4-5 years), then if she still has life either restore once im sitting good financially or pull the motor and put it in some sort of swap is my plan (willy's maybe?:rolleyes:). I know many people wish they kept their first car and regret selling it later so im going to try hard not to. Unless when i upgrade to something "newer/more reliable" i need the money, but when im done with it it probably won't be worth anything anyway, so ill probably keep it! that's my grand plan, im praying it works cause i love the car!

oh the noises and torque!!! turns heads every where i go, and she's always getting compliments about the color lol. Hearing that turbo spool always brightens my day! tho i have had one or two ask me if there was something wrong with it because of the lil' monster grumbling under the hood lol.

Last edited:

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
ok, and with that set up i wouldn't need a clutch then? maybe i should just do that. the main thing holding me back is clutch replacement. SB stage 2 is kind of a pricey clutch (at least to me) tho im sure it's totally worth it. i would need to try and do it myself (just price of clutch and tools), or have it done by a shop which im sure id be over $1300 in just a clutch/flywheel install.
In my opinion stock should be fine. Keeping the IQ high so that torque dosent tear it up should be just dandy.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
In my opinion stock should be fine. Keeping the IQ high so that torque dosent tear it up should be just dandy.
ok thank you! i may be looking at a new route...
i kinda like this idea. i had been kinda set on the malone stage 2, but with not doing the clutch I think this may be a cheaper, and more realistic/attainable approach. ill do a bit more research, and maybe get in contact with the company you mentioned and go from there.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
sell it? haha no not planning on it. not unless she dies completely. im at 236k right now and am planning on driving it for the rest of my college years (4-5 years), then if she still has life either restore once im sitting good financially or pull the motor and put it in some sort of swap is my plan (willy's maybe?:rolleyes:). I know many people wish they kept their first car and regret selling it later so im going to try hard not to. Unless when i upgrade to something "newer/more reliable" i need the money, but when im done with it it probably won't be worth anything anyway, so ill probably keep it! that's my grand plan, im praying it works cause i love the car!

oh the noises and torque!!! turns heads every where i go, and she's always getting compliments about the color lol. Hearing that turbo spool always brightens my day! tho i have had one or two ask me if there was something wrong with it because of the lil' monster grumbling under the hood lol.
I've had the same comments about valves rattling...it makes me laugh.

I've got a 2000 beetle that's coming around, it was horribly abused and retards with zip ties and no sense did some pretty awful things...standard bolt cross threaded in the hole for the oil supply line for the turbo, plastic windage tray melted into the oil pickup tube...and on and on and on. But hopefully by spring it'll be road ready. Lost my job so it's been slowed but not halted.

Glad to hear you love the car, but if you do get to the point of selling, post it up here...beetles aren't that common as of late...weird when Jetta wagons out pace the beetles 5 to 1...at least for me anyway.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
so according to malone the only main difference between stage 1.5 and 2 is torque ratings. hp ratings are the same it says...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I've had the same comments about valves rattling...it makes me laugh.

I've got a 2000 beetle that's coming around, it was horribly abused and retards with zip ties and no sense did some pretty awful things...standard bolt cross threaded in the hole for the oil supply line for the turbo, plastic windage tray melted into the oil pickup tube...and on and on and on. But hopefully by spring it'll be road ready. Lost my job so it's been slowed but not halted.

Glad to hear you love the car, but if you do get to the point of selling, post it up here...beetles aren't that common as of late...weird when Jetta wagons out pace the beetles 5 to 1...at least for me anyway.

I would definitely try to sell to a member if i need to sell it. Thats to bad about your beetle, but glad to hear your gonna get it on the road. i tried buying one earlier this year for $200 had been sitting for 5 years with 114k on it, but as you can imagine it was gone fast.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I would definitely try to sell to a member if i need to sell it. Thats to bad about your beetle, but glad to hear your gonna get it on the road. i tried buying one earlier this year for $200 had been sitting for 5 years with 114k on it, but as you can imagine it was gone fast.
It's been a fun learning experience, and possibly a bonding experience with the car...I just wish good door cards weren't bringing a fortune...not going to worry too much about the interior until the driveline is put back together. It's a game if patience and persistence.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It's been a fun learning experience, and possibly a bonding experience with the car...I just wish good door cards weren't bringing a fortune...not going to worry too much about the interior until the driveline is put back together. It's a game if patience and persistence.

do you guys have junk yard type places down there? here in MN we have a place called "upullrparts" with 2 locations and you can get used car parts for really cheap. They buy cars throw them in the yard, and you pull the parts you want and pay a pretty good price for them. a great way to get good used parts. i get a lot of random beetle part from there. Have yet to see a tdi tho, if i did i'd pull the motor and trans in a jiffy!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
do you guys have junk yard type places down there? here in MN we have a place called "upullrparts" with 2 locations and you can get used car parts for really cheap. They buy cars throw them in the yard, and you pull the parts you want and pay a pretty good price for them. a great way to get good used parts. i get a lot of random beetle part from there. Have yet to see a tdi tho, if i did i'd pull the motor and trans in a jiffy!
Yeah, we have a bunch that range from an hour to 4 hours...I've run across a few TDIs and have some spare parts. I'm looking at making the 4 hour trip soon, there's a yard with 5 type 1 beetles...

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Glowbugtdi,

When I was first looking into upgrading my 99.5 Jetta I was trying to keep the cost as low as possible but still make a difference. Then the torque bug bit me after riding in a friends more heavily modded golf. I went from going with a stage 1.5 tune to a stage 4 tune from Malone. Bigger turbo, injectors, map sensor, side mount intercooler, south bed stage 2 endurance, dark side turbo inlet pipe....the list goes on and I just couldn’t help myself after that. Good luck to you!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Glowbugtdi,

When I was first looking into upgrading my 99.5 Jetta I was trying to keep the cost as low as possible but still make a difference. Then the torque bug bit me after riding in a friends more heavily modded golf. I went from going with a stage 1.5 tune to a stage 4 tune from Malone. Bigger turbo, injectors, map sensor, side mount intercooler, south bed stage 2 endurance, dark side turbo inlet pipe....the list goes on and I just couldn’t help myself after that. Good luck to you!
Thank you yourbuddysatin,

That is what I have been wondering, i will give it some more thought before i make a decision. I like the idea of the stage 1.5, but if im driving hard or pulling my trailer and the stock clutch starts slipping and needs to be replaced i may as well get the SBC stage two or something of a equivalent torque rating. Then i will be wishing I had gotten the Malone stage 2. im starting to think maybe i should just look for a used SBC 2 for a bit cheaper get my injectors then get my tune and boost gauge.
thank you for all the advise and help!!
GlowBug

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
thank you yourbuddysatin,

That is what I have been wondering, i will give it some more thought before i make a decision. I like the idea of the stage 1.5, but if im driving hard or pulling my trailer and the stock clutch starts slipping and needs to be replaced i may as well get the SBC stage two or something of a equivalent torque rating. Then i will be wishing I had gotten the Malone stage 2. im starting to think maybe i should just look for a used SBC 2 for a bit cheaper get my injectors then get my tune and boost gauge.

thank you for all the advise and help!!

glowbug
I've never seen a SBC for sale on the used market...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
ok, good to know....
well maybe I'll settle with an expensive build enjoy it for the time being and regret it later lol...

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I've never seen a SBC for sale on the used market..."

That's because I bought it; a lightly used SBC2 End & a new 17/22; for $1200. Popped up in the "For Sale" forums. Both serving well after >50k.

Never say never,,,,,,,,,,, but I knew what I wanted and had cash in hand.

What intercooler did you go with? Once I get my bigger airbox in, PD150
with the 80mm MAF, an upgraded SMIC will be the last thing on my list to consider.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
You can get the taco taco intercoolers fairly cheap...that's what I went with but I paid way too much from a one stop shop tuning name...

I need an intake and I'm about to start a very intense welding class and may see if I can use it as a project.