www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

View Poll Results: Has your DPF failed?
I have an aftermarket intake, my dpf has not failed. 3 37.50%
My DPF Failed, I had an aftermarket intake. 1 12.50%
My DPF failed, i had a stock intake. 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 20th, 2014, 19:37   #1
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Default "Upgraded" Aftermarket intakes causing DPF failures?

If this is a repeat of an old thread, my apologies.

We've been recommending that all customers who have stock equipment keep their intakes stock as well. Almost every TDI that I know of that has a DPF fail (probably about 10x) had an aftermarket intake installed. 2 major name brands come to mind.

Is anyone else seeing this?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:19   #2
Boyka
Veteran Member

Mine goes for 30,000 kms upgraded without problem .golf 1.6 tdi cr
Do not drink, do not smoke, do not go out with girls, I'm going to bed at 22:00, wake up at 6.00. Quiet, obedient ... But when you leave jail, everything will change dramatically!!
Boyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:07   #3
DieselRacer
banned

Fuel Economy: 30.6 combined

I heard the aftermarket intake throws sensors and I have seen the dyno graphs where it can actually loose power from OEM intake...
DieselRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 15:56   #4
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

I would look to see if they are using oiled or synthetic media filters.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 16:04   #5
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 130 MPGe

Some aftermarket intakes (we all know which ones) don't filter well. Crap in = crap out. Crap out = crap in DPF.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 16:14   #6
JFettig

Heard of it but haven't personally seen one happen. This turbo had one of those aftermarket intakes on it...

JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 16:30   #7
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

That right there would result in a DPF full of sand, methinks.
Old March 24th, 2014, 21:41   #8
Kevinski4

You'll trash the engine sucking dirt long before you fill up a DPF with it. I've only seen one failed DPF that was blamed on an intake. The car kept throwing MAF codes all the time, and it ate 2 DPFs in 20k miles.
Kevinski4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 22:18   #9
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinski4 View Post
You'll trash the engine sucking dirt long before you fill up a DPF with it. I've only seen one failed DPF that was blamed on an intake. The car kept throwing MAF codes all the time, and it ate 2 DPFs in 20k miles.
Just curious, 1 failed (due to intake) out of how many failed DPFs?
Old March 26th, 2014, 20:22   #10
Kevinski4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARodriguez Corp. View Post
Just curious, 1 failed (due to intake) out of how many failed DPFs?
Probably 6 or so in the past year.

It's not the lack of filtering that causes DPF issues, it's sensor problems that some new intakes create that leads to the DPF failure. I also have seen 2 failed due to tuning (not Malone). EGT limiter map was totally deleted and the car had a cracked DPF.

Last edited by Kevinski4; March 26th, 2014 at 20:31.
Kevinski4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 20:53   #11
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Why do people like to rice up their cars so much? lol
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:28   #12
ibexlatham
Veteran Member

I've been avoiding it because I know what is coming, but I'll admit I was the one fool who had a DPF failure with an aftermarket intake... that being said I do not think the intake was a direct cause of the failure, it may have contributed, but it was not the cause.

The failure progressed this way, at 115k miles I had an exhaust flap valve code come up, after cleaning it a few times I changed it around 117k. I probably put the aftermarket filter on at 120k and by 125k I was throwing EGR codes.

At 140k I gave up on cleaning and replacing the EGRs and took it to my friend at VW which his first question was "How long have you had the K&N filter on there? VW Tech Line says they've seen DPF failures they think are caused by an aftermarket filter"... when I told him it was on for 20k he said they told him it probably was not the cause of the failure but they recommend removing it as soon as possible anyway.

The overall failure was a cracked DPF, I've never had a MAF code or any pre-DPF or EGT sensor codes, the K&N filter was removed after the failure was "repaired".

I am fairly certain that the stuck exhaust flap valve was the main cause of the crack in the DPF, most likely from soot accumulation and high EGTs. The K&N filter may have contributed to this by altering the air flow or fuel map.

And before this turns into a lecture on the evils of K&N filters we are all well aware of this thread; http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373 unfortunately I only found it well after I installed the K&N filter.

Last edited by ibexlatham; March 28th, 2014 at 11:28.
ibexlatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:33   #13
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNXGUY View Post
Why do people like to rice up their cars so much? lol
^This. The stock MK4 air filter is massive and is already a cold air intake. Unlike aftermarket junk, its properly designed and engineered function correctly and filter dirt and keep out water.

Any aftermarket intake is a downgrade over the stock system IMO.
Old March 29th, 2014, 17:10   #14
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibexlatham View Post
I've been avoiding it because I know what is coming, but I'll admit I was the one fool who had a DPF failure with an aftermarket intake... that being said I do not think the intake was a direct cause of the failure, it may have contributed, but it was not the cause.

The failure progressed this way, at 115k miles I had an exhaust flap valve code come up, after cleaning it a few times I changed it around 117k. I probably put the aftermarket filter on at 120k and by 125k I was throwing EGR codes.

At 140k I gave up on cleaning and replacing the EGRs and took it to my friend at VW which his first question was "How long have you had the K&N filter on there? VW Tech Line says they've seen DPF failures they think are caused by an aftermarket filter"... when I told him it was on for 20k he said they told him it probably was not the cause of the failure but they recommend removing it as soon as possible anyway.

The overall failure was a cracked DPF, I've never had a MAF code or any pre-DPF or EGT sensor codes, the K&N filter was removed after the failure was "repaired".

I am fairly certain that the stuck exhaust flap valve was the main cause of the crack in the DPF, most likely from soot accumulation and high EGTs. The K&N filter may have contributed to this by altering the air flow or fuel map.

And before this turns into a lecture on the evils of K&N filters we are all well aware of this thread; http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373 unfortunately I only found it well after I installed the K&N filter.
Interesting progression. The exhaust flap is a critical component in the emissions functions, and not replacing it very soon after failure can cause DPF damage. I some cases, the DPF can not be regenerated without a functioning exhaust flap, leading to soot buildup and plugging.

Not trying to rub it in, just pointing it out to anyone reading who might think it's fine to ignore the check engine light and defer maintenance.

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; March 29th, 2014 at 17:13.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 22:04   #15
ibexlatham
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Interesting progression. The exhaust flap is a critical component in the emissions functions, and not replacing it very soon after failure can cause DPF damage. I some cases, the DPF can not be regenerated without a functioning exhaust flap, leading to soot buildup and plugging.

Not trying to rub it in, just pointing it out to anyone reading who might think it's fine to ignore the check engine light and defer maintenance.
Yep, I made a mistake by not recognizing the urgency of fixing the flap valve and it definitely came back to bite me. I treated it like my Nissan which a CEL would only cause a decrease in power or MPGs, never considered ignoring it and trying to fix it myself first would possibly cause the DPF to fail... of course, I'm not 100% certain that caused the failure, since in the end I just know it was a cracked DPF and I dont know when or why it exactly failed.

Oh well, you live and you learn...
ibexlatham is offline   Reply With Quote