Totally confused on Oil!

javelin

TDI
2003 Black GLS
I thought I had this all figured out but the more I read the more confused I get. I have a stock 2003 Jetta TDI that I bought used about 18 months ago. Since buying the car I have used Delvac 1 for my oil changes based on discussions on this board over a year ago. I ordered several gallon jugs which I have now used and need to replenish my stock. In reading the threads of late, I've gotten very confused about what oil to be using.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
javelin said:
I thought I had this all figured out but the more I read the more confused I get. I have a stock 2003 Jetta TDI that I bought used about 18 months ago. Since buying the car I have used Delvac 1 for my oil changes based on discussions on this board over a year ago. I ordered several gallon jugs which I have now used and need to replenish my stock. In reading the threads of late, I've gotten very confused about what oil to be using.
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is fine for your car.

It was also sold for some time as Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40 (not the current Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-30), and is supposedly available as Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40.

Other commonly available oils that you can use include:

Castrol Syntec 5W-40
Valvoline Synpower 5W-40
Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40

javelin

TDI
2003 Black GLS
When I bought the Delvac 1 last year it was through an online dealer that was recommended by this site. I believe they were located north of Baltimore. For the life of me I can't remember who they were.

Any suggestions of a good dealer to purchase through, I'll also need filters (not to state the obvious).

Thanks!!

Paul7878

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
AMSOIL European Formula 5W40. It carries all the certifications for VW diesel and is the best synthetic oil on the market. I run 15,000 mile drain intervals with a filter change at every 7500 just because. AMSOIL was the first synthetic and has been the best since. Only runs about 5 1/2 bucks a quart. Well worth it

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
oEo said:
Is your VW a Pumpe Duse?
Doesn't appear to be.

javelin said:
I have a stock 2003 Jetta TDI
1999.5 - 2003 MY (1998 - 2003 for NB) had the VE TDI engine (ALH)
2004 - 2006 MY has the PD TDI engine (BEW)
n.b. 2006 MkV Jettas are still PDs but a different engine & code: BRM

tdiparts.com or worldimpex.com for filters

scurvy