Now I am totally confused - Oil 505.00 or 505.01

mshuff

TDI
All,

I have perused these forums for two months since I purchased a new TDI. I though I had read everything I needed to know at this point in time - especially oil. So, I decided to go the bible - the owners manual Low and behold on page 39, of book 3.2 it states (for diesel) VW 505.00. So after reading all the posts here, I ordered 12 quarts of Amsoil European oil with a rating of VW505.00. Now what to my wondering eyes do I find but a sticker on the top of the radiator indicating that only 505.01 oil is to be used. So I have the owners manual telling me one thing, and a sticker on the car saying another thing. Here is the question, can I or should I use this Amsoil with VW 505.00 rating? Can there be that much difference?

Regards,
Mike in Beaverdam

2005 GLS Golf TDI PD

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Mike, call off the AMSOIL order. you must use a 505.01 oil - - the owner's manual is full of errors.

If you elect to use a non-compliant oil, you'll no longer have a powertrain warranty.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
Re: Now I am totally confused - Oil 505.00 or 505.

I dunno, there was an argument about using Amsoil AFL oil in a PD, and they are pushing to get that oil 505.01 certified... you might want to hang on to it until january to see if it gets certified

It might be perfectly fine to use.