02 Jetta: Passenger side marker lights out, fuse and bulbs good.

shift957

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
So I've been doing some research on my phone about my situation. All dash lights work fine. I bought the bulbs, went to replace the tail light bulb only to find it good. A post in here said to check fuse 22 and 23, so I did and both are fine. So I am stumped here.

A friend said he had a similar issue with his Chevy van and it was another fuse or relay in a fuse box under the hood. Someone else on the forum with a newer car (2015ish) found the issue to be a faulty headlight switch.

Any ideas or help appreciated.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Did you do any voltage checks on the circuit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
I went through similar with my 2000 Jetta. Right side parking, tail, and side marker were out, plus the instrument cluster illumination. In troubleshooting this plus purchasing a Bentley service manual for MKIV's, I found that they are all on the same circuit, and it was apparently an open wire or bad connection somewhere in the harness. My solution was to add a jumper wire from the left side tail light to the right tail light in the trunk, and now everything works as it should. This was a must fix, as it wouldn't pass the state safety inspection with no tail or front parking light.

Since it is only your side marker, I would suspect it is related to the socket, or wires in the fender leading to the lamp socket.

shift957

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Mr loops, I haven't checked the voltage yet. Been raining out and I'm under the weather currently.

Tdi-wnc, it all 3 marker lights. Front in headlight, side and tail. Not sure if that was clear.

Thanks for the responses. I'll try to check voltage today.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Owning an old tdi VW like this, you need 3 tools other than your general sockets and what not.
Multimeter (learn to use one properly)
VCDS & Vag_com cable
Timing belt tools

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
You say the "dash lights" work. Do you mean the individual lights like glow plug, brake, seatbelt, etc., or the illumination for the instruments when the headlights are on?

These lights are on separate circuits and fuses for the left side and the right side of the car.

On mine, all the other dash lights worked, including all the switch, radio, and controls. Only the illumination of the instruments so you could read your gauges in the dark didn't work. I chased it for weeks, before fixing it by jumpering the left side circuit to the right side circuit. Been like that for two years now and works fine.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
You have to check for power to fuse 22 with the head light switch on.
After the fuse the wire is gray / red to all the right side bulbs.

As TDI-WNC indicated jumping power from the left side would work.
I would be concerned with something happening such as a short on light wires somewhere and the fuse blows out.
This would leave you with no parking lights.

It might be more work but I would run a wire from the back of the fuse box where fuse 22 feeds the bulbs and run it through the large rubber grommet in the firewall into the engine compartment and to the right side going to the front right light.

shift957

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Turns out, the headlight switch was the issue. Hopefully, replacement of it will remedy the intermittent delay of the headlights coming on too.

Thanks for the responses. Always appreciated!