Wires cut and not check engine

Elie12

TDI
2001-2006
Hello,
I bought a Jetta 2002 , no checkengine, but I was replacing the engine oil last day and I saw 2 wires cut ! and another wire still connected on a part near the engine, I am not sure what it does, but the car works well and no checkeninge , can you please identify the part and what it does and if it is absolultely necessary to connect the wires back ?
here is the picture I found on internet
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3qFP6uWca6kpU6ba7
Thanks
Elias

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Can't see cut wires, guessing they go to the coolant glow plugs, if so, you can ignore.
First thing to do is check if the CEL is functional.

Elie12

TDI
2001-2006
yes I took the picture from internet, but they are the same one you see in the picture, 3 wires that go to the same part, I have 2 of them cut and one still connected.
looks like the previous owner cut them on purpose. not sure why .
I did a search about cooling glow plug and it seems that they are not that important ...

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta sedan 2002 Jetta wagon
And like bobinoh said, make sure your check engine light works in the first place. Does it flash when you turn the car on?

Elie12

TDI
2001-2006
yes I just tested it, when I turn the contact ON, checkengine is lit and goes off when I start the car, so I will just ignore the wires , it drives very good so far, I did not test it in winter though, I am in Montreal and temp can drop to -25 C in winter so ...
I am not sure if the cooling glow plug helps start the engine or not, can you explain ?
Thanks in advance
Elias

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
They help the coolant warm up, they have zero effect to starting. Only the glow plugs in the head affect startup. That, and they only came equipped on manual trans cars.

Elie12

TDI
2001-2006
sorry for my ingnorance.. but the coolant is to cool the engine, why warm it up ?
thanks
Elias

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
To help keep you warm in those cold Canadian winters.

Elie12

TDI
2001-2006
lol I see, they have no effect on anything serious , that explain no code thrown
thanks a lot guys you answered my question
Elias

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The Engine Control Unit (ECU) does not monitor the Coolant Heater Glow Plugs... So, there will never be a Check Engine Light (CEL) due to the cut wires.

I have no clue why someone would cut the wires..

Elie12

TDI
2001-2006
Maybe after all they were rusted and got disconnected , not done on purpose, because the cut is exactly near the connector, I assume if someone want to cut he will do it in the middle or at least leave some wire out so it can be reconnected easly in the future , now it is very hard to reconnect, I think I need to solder them

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't bother, just protect any exposed copper. Almost none of the cars of that vintage have working coolant glow plugs, seems most don't care. But if you must or want to fix them, you may be able to just make your own connects. Proly need new plugs as well. Likely hard to even find a write up.
VW TDI Search Engine