Blue smoke at startup

Neup_Man

TDI
2001, TDI, Black
i've recently bought a 2001 Jetta TDI with 74,000 KM.

This afternoon i noticed a bit of blue smoke out of the exhaust during startup. Should i be concerned about this ? or is this normal ?

Any insight into this would be appreciated. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chief Lee Visceral

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, midnight blue
Probably nothing to worry if it is not really blue. Hard to tell I know but it probably really white and due to incomplete combustion of the diesel charge when first starting. Mentioned in your owner's manual. On a cold engine the heat is not their to burn all the fuel and the glow plugs can't do it all when you first hit it.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
so basically what you are saying is that the cloud of bluish/white smoke I get first startup in the morning is normal and nothing to worry about?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yep, its not unusual for the TDI engine to puff blue/white smoke on cold start-up in the morning!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
But I thought Puffing was dangerous /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks, I feel much better !

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
[ QUOTE ]
so basically what you are saying is that the cloud of bluish/white smoke I get first startup in the morning is normal and nothing to worry about?

[/ QUOTE ]
The smoke the OP from Edmonton gets on startup is normal. The smoke you get is a sign of a serious electromechanical malfunction. Don't worry, it can be fixed for less than $1000.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The smoke the OP from Edmonton gets on startup is normal. The smoke you get is a sign of a serious electromechanical malfunction. Don't worry, it can be fixed for less than $1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly hope you are joking.... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
[ QUOTE ]
The smoke you get is a sign of a serious electromechanical malfunction. Don't worry, it can be fixed for less than $1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly hope you are joking.... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just drive down to South Florida for spring break. Your TDI won't smoke down there, and you can have a hell of a lot of fun for $1000.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
well, I guess Atlanta in April will have to do.

I'll be at Southern Volksfest showing my car, so lets hope for warm weather!

Ya, $1000 for spring break (Wish I got one heh) down in Florida sounds like a BLAST!

Thanks! /images/graemlins/grin.gif