Dsg fluid question

Kheims23

TDI
2006 Jetta
I think I know the answer to this question but I will ask it anyways. I had bought an 06 Jetta TDI with a bad dsg trans. Bought the dsg fluid thinking of changing fluid and see what would happen but ended taking the trans out and found more wrong with it and have since bought a swap kit from Frans and will be putting a 6 speed manual in instead. I’m having a problem finding someone to buy this oil off of me and can’t send it back due to it got opened. So I was wondering since it is gear oil and the dsg is practically a manual trans could this oil be used in the 6 speed? I only ask because I have a 6 speed Camaro and know it takes ATF fluid so thought I may be able to use this dsg fluid in the 6 speed I get. Thanks for any thoughts and if anybody knows anyone that may need this fluid let me know.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would think that the proper fluid would be in order.

the DSG fluid is 75w

manual fluid looks to be something like 75w90
this means it is specified to run hotter than the DSG.

the DSG has a heat exchanger with the coolant to limit high temps (and warm it up)

There is a for sale thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

and also a thread dedicated to oil and lubricants. someone may have an experience-based observation on the use/misuse of this oil http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

but at the end of the day it is your car.

given the time, energy, and expense you are putting into the car, a few more $$ for the right fluid might let you sleep better at night. you might also ask the folks you are getting the transmission from what they recommend.

Last edited:

Kheims23

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thank you. Yes I was planning on getting the proper oil was just trying to get more info on the dsg fluid seeing it was a gear oil. I’m going to try and sell it hopefully somebody will need it here soon. Thanks again.