SSCTDO (TDI Club Secret Society of Chevy TD owners)

DanielFox118

TDI
RIP - 2002 Jetta GL
This. Hearing the engine will tell.
As an owner of the new Cruze diesel with the 1.6, I can definitely say that it's quiet. Not like a Prius, but basically as quiet as any other 4 cylinder. At stoplights, I occasionally worry that it's died because I just can't hear it (I've been forever scarred by the one time my borrowed vehicle ran out of gas at a light because the float got stuck). I roll down my windows and unless I'm the only one at the light, I don't generally hear it over any other vehicle.

Honestly, really makes me miss my Jetta. With all my upgrades, particularly the exhaust, it was much more noticeable. Although it is nice to be able to go through drive-thrus without the employees saying "what?" multiple times.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Well I participated in the buyback and got myself an awesome ZR2 Diesel Colorado
Quite happy with it so far, got it dirty a couple times and done a bit of mileage with it

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm leaning more towards the ram ecodiesel right now. Sticker is about the same for a lot more truck.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm leaning more towards the ram ecodiesel right now. Sticker is about the same for a lot more truck.
To me the colorado is enough truck, the ecodiesel is more truck, but do ya really need more truck?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
To me the colorado is enough truck, the ecodiesel is more truck, but do ya really need more truck?
I was looking at towing power but Ram uses the 3.55 axle for prebuilts, which puts the tow rating about the same as the canyon. You can order the 3.92, which would give another 1000 pounds of towing but they won't be available until after the new year. We test drove the canyon and my wife didn't like the seats. She said it was like sitting on bricks. You know what they say about happy wives! It's like comparing your lazyboy recliner to a dining room chair. Ok, not quite that bad... Plus the ram is several $1000 below the canyon.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks really nice. How are you finding the mini Duramax?
Love the truck so far, have just over 9,000 km on it, cruises awesome down the highway, lots of torque for monkeying around

hauls a small kubota lawn tractor with ease

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
I was looking at towing power but Ram uses the 3.55 axle for prebuilts, which puts the tow rating about the same as the canyon. You can order the 3.92, which would give another 1000 pounds of towing but they won't be available until after the new year. We test drove the canyon and my wife didn't like the seats. She said it was like sitting on bricks. You know what they say about happy wives! It's like comparing your lazyboy recliner to a dining room chair. Ok, not quite that bad... Plus the ram is several $1000 below the canyon.
True enough, I found the seats comfortable, but everyone has their own taste, my ZR2 has leather but i had tried a cloth Z71 out, and didn't notice too much difference in the seats

jpltdi

Veteran Member
Very unfortunate that the Start-Stop system in the Equinox cannot be turned off. I hate these things and I believe it actually contributed to me being involved in a collision in England. As if it was not disconcerting enough to be driving on the other side of the road, I had to deal with the engine shutting off all the time. I will not buy a car if that system cannot be turned off.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I have auto on-off in my 328d and generally leave it on at this point. I guess it took maybe 2-3 days for me to really get used to it, now I automatically adjust to it so it doesn't really bother me at all. I do generally shut it off on really hot days or if I have others in the car with me (to keep it more comfortable).

How do you think it contributed? Because of the delay in moving or something else?

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
I have auto on-off in my 328d and generally leave it on at this point. I guess it took maybe 2-3 days for me to really get used to it, now I automatically adjust to it so it doesn't really bother me at all. I do generally shut it off on really hot days or if I have others in the car with me (to keep it more comfortable).
I quite like the start-stop in my 328d. However, I was also the guy who would turn on his Golf at a stop light that I knew was long. Now at those lights the engine shuts off, I hit park and give my foot a break, that was the nice thing about a manual, two clicks up on the parking brake and the car wouldn't go anywhere..

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I was looking at the equinox, but it seems they only let you get the diesel in the top of the line trim. not ready to get that close to $40k.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just looked on the chevy website and you can get the diesel in the LT or Premier trim levels. Sure that's only a $2400 difference but even with all the packages I could throw on the LT, it was still around $37k US for the AWD.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
a few days ago, it seemed the chevy site would not let you configure a diesel in the lower trim

now it looks more reasonable. can get closer to $30k

but the 2017 alltrack gassers are on sale now, more like $18k. (for a list price $28k )

but we went for a sit, the equinox was not deemed acceptable by my sweetie. center armrest too high and to intrusive to passenger space. this was a gasser, but thinking these details are likely the same.

the Alltrack was deemed just fine, not a surprise after many long trips in the JSW. would be nice if the back seats folded flat.

Last edited:

jpltdi

Veteran Member
How do you think it contributed? Because of the delay in moving or something else?
It was mainly because of being one more thing for my brain to process while driving. I have limited experience driving on the left, and need every bit of help so I don't feel overwhelmed. The start-stop certainly wasn't a step in the right direction, and I neglected to turn it off during that drive. But the collision was while the car was already moving, not due to a delay in starting.

I did ride in a MB GL 450 yesterday that had the start-stop feature and it was so unnoticeable that I don't think I would mind.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I just ordered a 2019 Cruze diesel hatchback. Time to get out of the gasser I bought. It was nice enough, but not the same, and too big for my needs. I will be happy to be back in a diesel and it will look nice parked next to my husband's sedan. :)

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
29k on my 2017 cruze diesel sedan after 11 months. no major issues. I'm considering what to do at 36k, whether to buy no-deductible or $100-deductible repair insurance until 100k or not. EGR/emissions hardware and software issues seem certain after 36k, so i'd like any failures until 100k to be covered by warranty, or by deleting. I hope the emissions stuff keeps working. I sort of like dealing with diesel exhaust fluid - its no more hassle than adding "power-service" cetane/lubricity treatment to diesel back in the good old days when a flick of the foot in a VW TDI would generate sooty exhaust clouds for tailgators, from our 500ppm sulfur diesel. I've already "deleted" the oil filter door-flap-thing by driving over snow/ice. It would cost $300 to replace and same failure occurs on many Cruzes. I elected to have the dealer service department remove it rather than replace it.

2013 tdi fan

TDI
Why are you certain to have egr/emissions problems after 36k if you have had no problems in 29k miles? IS there a forum where you have read of people having issues or just your gut feeling?

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
I was mostly being a pessimist but the cruze diesel fulfilled my prophecy...
It already threw an egr code via OBD.
The code cleared itself by the time i had it to dealer for oil change.
30k miles now...

vwgtiglx

TDI
2014 2.0 TD Chevy Cruze
Why are you certain to have egr/emissions problems after 36k if you have had no problems in 29k miles? IS there a forum where you have read of people having issues or just your gut feeling?
CRUZETALK.COM is a good place to get started (for our now orphaned cars.).

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
Cruzetalk is OK but this forum is better than all 3 chevy forums for my 3 chevy cars combined. Fred’s FTW.

wjfyfe

Veteran Member
This is an older thread but our 2001 Jetta is pushing 400,000 miles and we have been considering our options, including the Chevy Cruze, since our MK-4 is getting so long in the tooth. First choice was to possibly move up a few years staying with the VW TD, but there hasn't been much good to say about the newer vehicles over our MK-4 model. We just returned from test driving a 2018 Chevy Cruze diesel and we were not impressed. I can simply state that currently we are more inclined to put money into our 2001 Jetta rather than "upgrade" to a newer vehicle, so far there is simply nothing out there saying to us "buy me! buy me!", which, when we think about it, is kind of disappointing.

Bill

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd suggest you go drive a '15 Golf or Sportwagen. I think the MK7 platform and the EA288 engine introduced in '15 is the best TDI drivetrain out there, certainly the best 4 cylinder one. The EA288 should be pretty trouble free, and with the emissions warranty offered on all fixed cars there isn't much that will break that isn't covered.

I love my MKIVs, but you can sink a lot of money into them to keep them running, only to have something else fail. For example, I just had the blend doors repaired on my '99.5 Golf only to have the heater core fail two months later. Frustrating, and either time consuming or expensive depending on who does the work. I will probably never part with my Wagon, but if it was my sole transportation at this point in its life (380K) it would be tough not to have a back up.

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
My best bud was driving daughters boyfriends 1996 diesel vw wagon today. I miss my 2001 jetta tdi wagon indigo blue 5 spd. I should have kept that car forever, and swapped in a proper suspension.

Last edited:

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
No gelling or icing for the 2 diesel cruzes and one diesel canyon in my family, so far... two are in MN and ran fine at -30F air temp with no power service blonde bottle additive. Wishing for pure diesel #1... 2017 owners manual allows it. Fuel heater(s) on these new GM diesel cars must be as strong as the awesome cabin heater, huzzah for over engineering and safety factors.

Btw, Some cruze diesel gen 1 and “HO” V8 car owners are getting letters from GM offering to get paid $200 and be given loaner car for 2 weeks while our cars are flatbedded to emission testing place for 80 miles of data gathering on a dyno, reasonable range of engine/gear operating conditions. Owners mostly say “no”. I would say yes for gen 2 cruze but nononononono for holden/chevy SS Sedan.