Winter Tires - What are you running?

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
My wife's '11 q7 is due for winter tires this year... We have been running 255/55r18's for the past 5 yrs in the winter, but I found out that the local Audi dealership is selling 235/60r18's as an option.

Realistically, she would put maybe 10,000km on in the winter months, late November to mid March.

We are planning to take the vehicle over New Years for some skiing at Jay Peak in Vermont.

I am looking at budget or mid level tires, well because I'm cheap, and that's what I run, as I am not sure the future of this vehicle (rumours that Audi may buy it back?)

I have had good experience with Hankook, Kumho tires on my Jetta, as well as 1 yr so far on a set of Sailun Winter tires.

Also, did you get XL rated tires for your vehicle?

Her current tires have lasted 3 seasons. We used Conti Barum Polaris 3 tires, but the tread depth is now only about 5-6/32". I'll put them on now, but hope to have some replacements ordered online to put on before the trip in January. I was happy with the price, and their performance over the last 3 winters ( fairly quiet, didn't blow any stop signs, hit any curbs or go in the ditch, didn't get stuck) but the place I bought them is probably a 1.5hrs away in the city with traffic (75 miles), and I don't feel like spending half a Saturday going to get tires.

Peter

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Wagon 285k - Gone ‘10 JSW - Gone '13 Q7 145k
I am looking at going with a set of 235/60 R18 studded Hankook iPikes for a dedicated winter setup. http://www.hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-i-pike-rw11.html. Our roads are very rutted from everyone using studded tires and narrower tires with taller sidewalls handle better on the rough surfaces as well as deeper snow.
Just need to find an inexpensive set of older Q7 or Touareg 18" wheels to mount them on....

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I bought the Q5 in GA equipped with 20" performance summer tires. Driving in northern TN hills on these in February was a little dicey.

SO, just bought a set of OEM 19's on eBay and will run winters next year. Could have just switched to all season tires, but why compromise?

I'm considering Yokohama iceGuard when that time comes. Any thoughts?