cheapest metal skid plate?? vw oil pan cover?

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
(1) Does the vw 2.0 oil sump cover still exist? (2) I am looking for a cheap (around $100) skid plate/belly pan. Something like idpart's aluminum pan but maybe made out of steel or a tougher metal. Is there anything like this out there? Also my side skirts are broken, can I get away with not using them to mount a skid plate?
Thanks guys!
Sean

02 Jetta TDI

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Aluminum foil is probably the cheapest.... :p

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
If you're going to be that cheap about it, just drive carefully enough to not hit things...

Seriously... Invest the $275 on the panzer plate... You won't be disappointed..

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
This should be easy. Just google mkIV skidplate and price them out. Over the years, thare appears to be no real difference between the alum and steel plates in terms of protection performance. Both do the job. Steel, of course, is a little heavier. Corrosion also seems not to be an issue with either.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't like the steel ones because you have to remove at least one of the side skirts to get the plate down.. It's a real PITA compared to the panzer, which from my experience, is the easiest one to remove and replace when doing routine maintenance..

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I don't like the steel ones because you have to remove at least one of the side skirts to get the plate down.. It's a real PITA compared to the panzer, which from my experience, is the easiest one to remove and replace when doing routine maintenance..
Ah yes true true unless you have done the MoGolf modification to your skid plate: the MoGolf Mod is to grind off the welds that hold the front bar to the plate, then drill and put in rivnuts to hold the plate to the bar. No need to drop the side skirts.

Of course with my FMIC I no longer have side skirts. :)

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Meh... for all that trouble, just get the panzer... I'm a big fan of the available aluminum sides too.. I can make them work most of the time with a FMIC setup too :)

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Well thanks guys, I was going to make one but then gave up, I am a dairy farmer and have little free time as it is. 5am to 7 or 8pm is my work day... The reason I was looking for one for $100 is because I saw a post where a member said he found a steel one from a vendor for $100. After google just gave me the main ones (dg, evo, etc...) I thought I would try here. Looks like I'll be getting a panzer. Drink milk and eat cheese fellas!

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Well thanks guys, I was going to make one but then gave up, I am a dairy farmer and have little free time as it is. 5am to 7 or 8pm is my work day... The reason I was looking for one for $100 is because I saw a post where a member said he found a steel one from a vendor for $100. After google just gave me the main ones (dg, evo, etc...) I thought I would try here. Looks like I'll be getting a panzer. Drink milk and eat cheese fellas!
Occasionally I see used one s for sale for 100.00.

But if you read (or ask) they don't come with the hardware - as in the 2 main supports. As in the expensive/engineered part.

I got mine from DG and it certainly has battle scars.

A real skid plate is the only non OEM thing/accessory on my car (other that window vent shades).

Money well spent whatever brand.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf

Hmmm. I have the Defender plate -- no removing side skirts or anything else. Also, it has a slot at the front bolt so that you don't drop the plate when putting it on/taking it off. The front is held until you're ready to drop it. Pretty easy. Works good for me.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Well I went with the defender plate instead. Price was a factor...gotta keep the money in the bank. :D Plus every review I found of it was great. Panzer pretty much had the same reviews but saving 10 lbs of weight was not worth $100 more to me. And my side shields are shot on the bottom, so I figure the defender will work better in that aspect too. Question about rivet nuts though, Ive never used them...would it work to weld them in? Seems like that would be more secure to me...even just a small spot weld. Also could the posts that hold up the front be welded as well? Or am I making a issue where there isnt one? We have had some harsh winters latley and I want to make sure my wife doesn't rip this thing off like the old plastic one....

Thanks.

Sean

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmmm. I have the Defender plate -- no removing side skirts or anything else. Also, it has a slot at the front bolt so that you don't drop the plate when putting it on/taking it off. The front is held until you're ready to drop it. Pretty easy. Works good for me.
The Defender is that galvanized one right? You're right, you don't have to remove the sides for that one.. The rear slot (it's not on the front, LOL) is kinda cool too. I don't like the front supports on that particular one.. IIRC, there's only a single rivnut that holds the pedestal to the frame and they like to spin off if the lower bolt is tight in the threads.. I've actually seen 2 of them ripped right through and into oil pans.. They are very strong but from what I've seen they aren't quite as strong as the Panzers..