Road Trip - Vancouver, BC to San Francisco, CA

grimlock

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, Black
Like the Title says! :)

I will probably taking this trip sometime mid/end of next month, for about 6-8 days round trip.

Will be travelling along the Oregon Coast most of the way down, and along the coast in North California. (avoiding the desert heat)

It's my first time for the Oregon Coast, and technically my second time for the San Francisco area (went when I was a kid, barely remember anything...)

For the most part I have the trip planned, but are there any "must-see or do's" you guys recommend?

Also, is it difficult to find gas stations w/ diesel in San Fran area? I'm looking forward to ULSD :). I plan to refuel in South Washington, and trying to avoid fueling in Oregon -- to avoid arguing with gas attendants about pumping my own diesel :rolleyes:. (Or does California have the same law? Car owners cannot pump their own gas/fuel?)

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!!

Richard

CAATS_Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Pkg2, ESP, DSG, & 8 airbags
Grim:
You will soon tire of the coast highway stuck behind a CruiseAmerica rental driven by someone who still thinks he is in his Cavalier. It's been several years since I tried it but even in September the road was plagued by road repairs and plugged with trafffic with few good places to pass.

Certaninly give it a shot but I found that route made I5 look a whole lot better.

CB

djturbulence

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5-spd
CAATS_Man said:
Grim:
You will soon tire of the coast highway stuck behind a CruiseAmerica rental

No way! I'm not sure what part of the coast you are referring to, but I travelled from the California central coast up Hwy 101 all the way to Florence, Oregon in late April. It was epic! Some of the most beautiful coastline in the world. I didn't have any problems getting stuck behind people, though I'm sure its always possible. So many great places to stop along the way too. I'd pick up a guide book and see what's appealing to you. I-5 is incredibly boring compared to the coast highway, unless you need to get somewhere fast. my $.02

djturbulence

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5-spd
Also, is it difficult to find gas stations w/ diesel in San Fran area? I'm looking forward to ULSD :). I plan to refuel in South Washington, and trying to avoid fueling in Oregon -- to avoid arguing with gas attendants about pumping my own diesel :rolleyes:. (Or does California have the same law? Car owners cannot pump their own gas/fuel?)

There's plenty of diesel throughout the Bay Area. I fueled up several times in OR and it wasn't a problem, I just asked the attendant to fill it up ALL the way. She started the filling, walked away to fill other cars. While she was gone, it clicked and I snuck over and topped it off. Plus, fuel in southern OR is considerably cheaper than the Bay Area. CA drivers can pump their own fuel.

If you're into bio, fill up in Laytonville in norcal:

http://community.livejournal.com/cali_biodiesel/15806.html

grimlock

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, Black
CAATS_Man said:
Grim:
You will soon tire of the coast highway stuck behind a CruiseAmerica rental driven by someone who still thinks he is in his Cavalier. It's been several years since I tried it but even in September the road was plagued by road repairs and plugged with trafffic with few good places to pass.

Certaninly give it a shot but I found that route made I5 look a whole lot better.

CB
:eek::(

I hope not. My main reason to drive the coast is for much more comfortable temperature(s). Not to mention less strain on the car with lower ambient temperature.

Worst cast I'll cut across to I5, but I'd rather not.

thanks,
Richard

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
101 through Oregon is slow going but is wonderful to see. Although less attractive the 101 is nice too. You may want to make a detour in Ca and hit the 1 too. It is awsome but even slower then the Oregon coast.

California is a pump your own state, so no pump jockey screw ups unless you opt for full service. Finding diesel in Ca is not pr.oblem. Finding cheap stations can be. Alot of the ones near the highway are over priced but compared to Canada it will be a bargain for you no matter where you buy it from.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
In Eureka D2 is about the same price as UL Gas. Within .01 or .02 today. 3.39/gal? Yes, Eureka is expensive for fuel. Sometimes the highest in the nation (including Hawaii).

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK - 6-8 days round trip.

Across to Port Angeles - down the WA coast to OR. If you want to go the whole way on the coast, this should take about 16 hours to get to CA border, then continuing on 101 to SF is about 7.5 hours more. Beautiful drive most of it, some slow, some not so slow. But beautiful. Rugged OR coast towards the north, the miles of sand dunes in the middle - nice drive without any young'uns in the back throwing up.

The CA portion is redwoods for the first 3 hours or so, some areas are quite nice if you get off the freeway. More on that if you like. You progress from the big trees to more cattle country, then to wine country, then to sprawl as you get through parts of Sonoma and Marin counties. So, 3 days or so to get to SF.

Where are you going to be there? What do you want to do? How long in SF. (a week might be a tad too long, 2 days? 3 days? I can send you a long list of things to do/see there).

Going home I'd probably go up I5 - because it's a 2 day trip instead of 3. The Sacramento Valley isn't exactly desert, but can be hot. The Willamette valley ditto. You might consider replacing the AC clutch - I had one go out on me (97 B4 145K)that took out the alternator belt with it. Had to get it fixed on the road - more expensive that I would have likeD.

grimlock

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, Black
rdkern said:
You might consider replacing the AC clutch - I had one go out on me (97 B4 145K)that took out the alternator belt with it. Had to get it fixed on the road - more expensive that I would have likeD.

hmmm. My AC clutch periodically "rattles". I hardly turn the AC on, and plan to not turn it on during the entire trip. (one of the reasons for travelling down the coast vs I5 heat)

If I don't turn the AC on, the load on the AC clutch should be next nothing -- and shouldn't seize on me. (I hope)

Not sure if I get my car in the shop before my trip....

Also for my return route, I plan to leave very early in the morning via the I5 to avoid heat concerns, and that should get me into mid Oregon by afternoon, that should save me from the heat by then.

Richard

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check the timing (via mapquest or some such) to compare 101 to Crescent City and 199 to Grants Pass as compared with the trip to i5 (205??? maybe) and up. 101 is more direct, but I'm not sure about the timing (slower speed limits, etc). SF to Grants Pass via Crescent City should be about 8.5 hours.

Also, the heat concerns on I5 should somewhat drop when you get to the mountains. Redding = HOT, beyond Redding = Better.