TDI whine

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
manual or automatic? it sounds a bit like a worn out torque converter, does it change or go away once the car is out of 2nd gear? Any issues with power steering? it sounds like a pump issue or something rubbing on the timing belt, SOUNDS LIKE, not is

get a stethoscope for cars at harbor frieght and start checking things im sure you can find out what bearing, pump, or issue this is, defiantly not normal.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
It's a manual. No power steering issues at all. Noticeable in first and second. I don't hear it at all on the highway, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Doesn't sound like a rub to me BTW.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Power Stroke, does it make this sound regardless of the clutch in or out? throw out bearing maybe?

Maybe a bad mesh on the gears when in neutral. gears are still engages in neutral, just not locked onto the shaft FYI

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Power steering whine. Replacing the pump sometimes fixes it but its also caused by a restriction in the high pressure lines.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Seems sticky. The clutch in, still stuff spinning, no turn pump is still running so you can't rule those completely out.
I'd get a nice long hose that fits in your ear, take off some covers, run the engine and probe.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I've never taken mine off, but doesn't the accessory drive belt come off in about two seconds?

Take the belt off and see if the sound stops. Then at least you'd know if it was the alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor, tensioner, or idler pulley.

Could the starter motor possibly be staying engaged with the flywheel?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I agree with taking the belt off and seeing if it changes. Knowing what it's not is sometimes just as valuable as knowing what it is.

I've heard the same sound with the serpentine roller (4x), power steering (3x), and alternator (1x). I picked up some Chassis Ears just to be able to better diagnose symptoms like these, and suspension clunks. Since I've owned them I have not needed them since narrowing it down pointed me in the right direction.