"Porsche Does Not Believe in Diesels"

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It could also be that the 380 is only twin turbo, without any compound setup or anything crazy like that.

I could easily see a single small turbo, two big turbos setup, or a two tiny turbos, one huge turbo setup working well on that engine.

In any case, what about sharing certification costs between models that are the same, across brands? For instance, can the Touareg and Cayenne share any certification costs, being the same vehicle?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If they were the exact same vehicle with only the badging changed then maybe VW wouldn't have to get both setups approved for US sales, but they aren't. Even GM in the old days had enough difference in the "same" car across brands that it was difficult to compare one to another. Remember the lawsuit over the Chevy engine used in the firebirds?

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
There are no "passes" that let one certified vehicle apply to others from the group with the same engine. Each model and engine/powertrain combination would need to be certified separately just the same.

The added cost to the company is in training and logistics of stocking spare parts. The certification argument is a canard.
Perhaps. Then there would be engineering costs to make the V8 TDI pass emissions. Everything I have read is that once an engine is certified in one application it's good to go in others which perhaps means the other costs are minimal. But I haven't really seen VW/Audi in the US greenlight an engine specific to one model especially on the diesel side. Looks like bringing back the 2.0 NA for the Jetta, or a different 2.0T for the Golf R isn't too hard, or even bringing in a new 4.2 for the RS5 or using the updated 4.2 V8 in the A8 for only a couple of model years but a new diesel variant ain't so easy. Hence the reason the new updated 3.0 TDI is going into the A6, A8, A5, Q7, Q5, Touareg, and the Cayenne at the same time to spread costs or the like.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
If they were the exact same vehicle with only the badging changed then maybe VW wouldn't have to get both setups approved for US sales, but they aren't. Even GM in the old days had enough difference in the "same" car across brands that it was difficult to compare one to another. Remember the lawsuit over the Chevy engine used in the firebirds?
No, but I do remember Chevy engines used in Oldsmobiles.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Now the question is when do we get these puppies over here in North America?!