only plays 4GB worth of MP3 files?

pict

TDI
2015 golf sportwagen
2015 sportwagen.
I've tried 3 different cards (8GB SDHC, 16GB SDHC, and 64GB SDXC). Results are the same each time.
I put about 5GB worth of MP3s on the card, but the VW only plays the first 4GB. And it does it alphabetically (so it will play "The Doors..." but not "The Everly Brothers..." - unless I delete some of the earlier files in which case it will play some of the later files). And if I put the card in my computer, all three of the media players on my computer play ALL of the MP3 files.
So it seems to me the cards are OK and the files are OK but VW's media player will NOT do what VW says it will. (surprise, surprise!)
Anybody else having similar issues?
I've had it in to the dealer about this 4 times. They have no clue. They sent one of the cards to VW for analysis.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
What bitrate?

There is a limit of about 2000 files and 500 folders. Limit the first layer of folders to 6 or 7. (ie Rock, Classical, etc) and put your artist/album/whatever folders in those.

I've gone for 128 CBR for years, recently this and other factors have prompted me to re-rip my CDs at 320 CBR. :)

If you want more space, get the USB adapter to replace the iPod one in the glove box. Use a flash drive to double your "in stereo" capacity. ;)

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Also, I'd use EXPENDABLE mp3 cd discs. I did, and glad too because the stereo won't give them back to me! :(

pict

TDI
2015 golf sportwagen
thanks, Dozenspeed.
I did not use any folders - just have 761 mp3 files on the card.
I'm old school, so don't understand the bitrate question.
w/r usb adapter: I don't see any slot for an ipod in the glove box - there is one slot for a CD and one slot for a SD card.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
Bitrate and file size is not the issue. What format is the card in? SD cards should be formatted to exFAT. Very likely why you're having the issue reading past 4 gb as other formats (NTSC for example) can't read data past 4 gb, nor can you transfer individual files larger than 4.

Backup the SD card, reformat to exFAT, transfer the music back over and it should work fine. I have a 128 gb card with about 60 gigs of music that plays fine.

A bigger issue for me is why there's a quality loss with 320 kbps files, but Spotify or music played off my phone sounds amazing...

Clarence

TDI
A5
Bitrate and file size is not the issue. What format is the card in? SD cards should be formatted to exFAT. Very likely why you're having the issue reading past 4 gb as other formats (NTSC for example) can't read data past 4 gb, nor can you transfer individual files larger than 4.

Backup the SD card, reformat to exFAT, transfer the music back over and it should work fine. I have a 128 gb card with about 60 gigs of music that plays fine.

A bigger issue for me is why there's a quality loss with 320 kbps files, but Spotify or music played off my phone sounds amazing...
Yes, I think so too:)