What to do P0472 Code

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
Car threw the P0472 code for (Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 Signal Too Low.) Its been driving fine ( I had to drive 1000mile round trip that weekend), but i need to get fixed. i havent had the VCDS of it and im not exactly sure what more that will tell about it all. Its a 2010 A3 with 137k. With everything being announced, id like to do the bare minimum to keep it running well.

Is there any benfit to spending the 145$ to have the shop scan it? I found this article (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/2010-golf-tdi-throwing-code-p0472.10963/)

that says for the 2010 golf tdi

VAG Error Code: 16856

EOBD II Error Code: P0472

Fault Location:
Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor 1 (G450) - Low Input/Short Circuit to Earth

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Fuse(s).
Wiring/Connector(s) short to earth.
Exhaust gas pressure sensor (G450).
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Tech Notes:
Replacing the exhaust back pressure usually takes care of the problem.

When is the code detected?:
An Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) signal that is detected out of range (high or low) by the Engine Control Module (ECM) will cause the engine to ignore the Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) signal and disable exhaust back pressure operation.

Description:
The Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) sensor is a variable capacitance sensor that, when supplied with a 5-volt reference signal from the Engine Control Module (ECM), produces a linear analogue voltage signal that indicates pressure.

The Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) sensor's primary function is to measure exhaust back pressure so that the Engine Control Module (ECM) can control the Exhaust Back Pressure Regulator (EPR) when needed.

the comment about Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) makes me think its ok, because i also have a check light for my rear left and right turn signals being bad, but when i physically check if they are working they are fine...

What do you guys think? this is a mess at this point and i dont want them to hunt down issues on a vehicle thats driving just fine, minus a few indicator lights popping up .

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I get that code a few times a month when the outside temp is below 40 degrees. Not sure why, but I'm deleted and it's not hurting anything. I clear it out with my iQ and go about my business.

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
I clear it out with my iQ and go about my business.
Can you expand on this iQ? i havent heard of it... i tried to clear it with my hand held tuner that also does OBD-II scans, but it didnt remove it. also tried removing the battery to get it to clear and that didnt either, im guessing the tricks used on older cars do not translate into german engineering

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I use the BANKS iQ to monitor my EGT, boost, rail pressure, engine coolant temp, and others. It plugs directly into the OBDii port. It is one of the view gauges/scan tools that can read VW/Audi engine parameters & codes. Its not as powerful as VCDS, which I do own incase I need it.

When ever I get that pesky P0472 code, I can hit an icon on the BANKS iQ and clear the code and it will remove the CEL from my dash board. Its much quicker than hooking up my laptop with VCDS to remove it. I spoke with Malone Tuning and they told me to pull my ECM and send it back to them for a flash tune update, but my A3 is my daily driver and I really don't want to spend the $100 on shipping to Canada to reflash my ECM, especially when my car only gets that code when its cold outside. Weird code...

http://bankspower.com/banksiq

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I use the BANKS iQ to monitor my EGT, boost, rail pressure, engine coolant temp, and others. It plugs directly into the OBDii port. It is one of the view gauges/scan tools that can read VW/Audi engine parameters & codes. Its not as powerful as VCDS, which I do own incase I need it.

When ever I get that pesky P0472 code, I can hit an icon on the BANKS iQ and clear the code and it will remove the CEL from my dash board. Its much quicker than hooking up my laptop with VCDS to remove it. I spoke with Malone Tuning and they told me to pull my ECM and send it back to them for a flash tune update, but my A3 is my daily driver and I really don't want to spend the $100 on shipping to Canada to reflash my ECM, especially when my car only gets that code when its cold outside. Weird code...

http://bankspower.com/banksiq
Why would you have to ship to Canada? Did you get your car tuned by a local dealer?

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Mark Maloneof Malone tuning is in British Columbia, CA. The ECM has to be bench tuned, no OBDII port tuning available for my car...yet. I'm sure it's in the works

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Mark Maloneof Malone tuning is in British Columbia, CA. The ECM has to be bench tuned, no OBDII port tuning available for my car...yet. I'm sure it's in the works
For some reason I thought he was in Colorado? I had a local dealer tune mine.

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
Does anyone know of historical ways they price a vehcile when they do buy backs? i know everyone has different opinions on how much they will buy it back for (KBB, MSRP, Magic 8 ball)

I ask because im currently holding off on fixing some minor issues mentioned with mine (like those listed above in this thread), but i dont want to be nitpicked/nickle and dimed when the time comes. I guess i can always wait to see how they will do it and make a plan from there, but id rather start getting things going now than wait til later. Thoughts?