Me & my Red Rider Against the Squirrels!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
Overheard at my college fraternity while cleaning out the commercial freezer...

Pledge:"Hey Scrounge, what are these?" Holds up 2 aluminum foil wrapped oblongs.

Pledegemaster:"I dunno, let me see...HOLY SH*T - those are Jebens' squirrels! He used to shoot them off the back porch and freeze them for later." [Keep in mind this was Bethlehem PA in the late 80's]

Pledge:[now reconsidering his decision] Should I throw them away? Does he still want them?"

Pledgemaster: "Jebens graduated 3-4 years ago."

Pledge:"You mean it's been over 3 years since this freezer has been cleaned?"

Pledgemaster:"Yep - that's why we have the pledges doing it."

Ahh, good times. Goood times.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Man, I wish I knew how to attach the theme music from Deliverance to this thread. This is a most friendly redneck thread!
Update: Went home yesterday (day 2) for recon, saw moor evidence on the grass, but no culprits. Never saw any target yesterday evening either. I have 2 corncobs brewing as we speak though!! I will baiting the area soon.

Last edited:

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
If you find your neighbor's dog dead in your yard with a corncob in his mouth, play dumb.

"Antifreeze? Who would do such a terrible thing?"

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Not gonna happen, unless it's one of those tree climbing JRT's. The "bait" will be up in the tree on a far reaching limb. Hopefully a small enough limb where even speedbump (the one-eyed gato) will fear to tread.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get a silencer for .22 rifle? JK:D

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
Well I'm lucky enough. I only have a few beechnut trees. Though with those nuts and the two giant elms with hollow trunks they have run of the yard. I get to hear the crackle of shell bits every time I mow under the elms. And then get to listen to the red little buggers yell their heads off and the gray squirrels chirp back at them.

I'm in town, so only if they are getting really bad do I break out the paintball marker and 'shoo' them away. Now at my folks house out in the country, there is usually a 'tree rat' carcass under one of the bird feeders and a loaded Mossberg by the sliding door.

/Cue dueling banjos

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
My FIL (father in law) had a groundhog under his shed. He stood patiently in his living room with his 308 Winchester until he saw the little bugger's head come out. He left one window cracked open for the shot trying to contain the sound to the house, not to alarm the neighbors. His wife was napping... He missed his shot and hit the plastic curtain between the shed and the ground and freaked out the wife. He didn't get a second shot and almost ended up in the hospital from spousal abuse...;)

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
Using the house to silence the shot...That would work especially with your .22 LR.

This is a fun thread, I hope it doesn't go away. Quick somebody inject a TDI story to give us some validity!

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I LMAO at the slingshot video. Maybe you could make a similar Squirrel-pult?

wanders

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS- Baltic Green
I sent the catapult video to my brother as a possible solution to his squirrel infestation, even though he bought a Prius rather than a TDI. (See, TDI vs Prius: back on topic)

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
cptmox said:
This is a fun thread, I hope it doesn't go away. Quick somebody inject a TDI story to give us some validity!
Well to remedy my own squirrel problem I could scientifically 'test' the lethality of diesel vs. RUG emissions. Hose the exhaust from my TDI and 240,000 mile Mazda protege each into their own hollow tree with resident squirrels. See which tree stops chirping sooner...

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
Wormhole loop

bam_bam_dip said:
Let's see.

Emmissions, coolant, tdi vs. prii.......

I'll even quote another thread... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=149276

Yup, that ought to buy us a couple of more days!
It appears you quoted a thread that appears to be the same thread as the one we are posting in now. But since it is a link, it must be an alternate reality.

/Woo I got a cool goatee now!
//diet Coke of evil

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Update

UPDATE: Squirrels 1, Bam Bam 0.
2 days of "bait", and no evidence of nibbling. Did see one of them bastards this morning and some new pecan skeletons on the ground. It appears that either squirrels don't like corn, or they prefer pecans over antifreeze.

I'm not quite ready for plan B, maybe just need to move on to plan A.1.

I'm up for suggestions (reasonable) on control methods, but it needs to be "speedbump" safe.

TDI'Watcher, hows the emissions testing going? plug, plug!!!

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Opinions Wanted!!!

I have a little spray rig for the garden hose. That's how I spray insecticide on the trees. I'm wanting feedback on this idea.

Can I mix up some cayenne pepper in the spray rig and spray the trees, or (living in Tx.) would this amount to turning the squirrels (bastards) into nut chunkers......" chunk, thwap, hey a-hole, where's my tacos y cervezas, chunk, thud!!"

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
Have you ever tried to just sit down and reason with the little SOB's?

I mean maybe they are perfectly reasonable little creatures that just need to be heard?

If that doesn't work, maybe you could a thistle feeder (like the one's intended for feeding finches) and run a live wire to it? While it may take out some finches during the process, it could make for some good eatin'?

Just a thought.....

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
bam_bam_dip said:
I have a little spray rig for the garden hose. That's how I spray insecticide on the trees. I'm wanting feedback on this idea.

Can I mix up some cayenne pepper in the spray rig and spray the trees, or (living in Tx.) would this amount to turning the squirrels (bastards) into nut chunkers......" chunk, thwap, hey a-hole, where's my tacos y cervezas, chunk, thud!!"
Rabid barn cat or air rifle...

Though how much cayenne does it take to make a proper pepper spray? Hows your aim? Can you hit the branches the nuts and buggers hang out on? You might find pepperball capsules and a wrist rocket or do something MacGyverish.

Could always chop down the tree, that'll teach em... :rolleyes:

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
bam_bam_dip said:
I'm breakin out the heavy artillery. I dusted off the Red Rider. Well, it's the best I can do living in town. Had I been at the ranch, it would be no problem.
Red Rider? On squirrels??? Are we talking about big, fat gray ones (good eating!), or the wicked-fast little red ones? In any case...

You need bigger artillery!

Bad: BB Gun (AKA Red Ryder) = more a toy/teaching aide than squirrel widowmaker

Better: .177 or .22 Pellet gun (multi-pump Daisy/Crossman or an "adult" gun like an RWS Diana) If you have problems getting penetration, use pointed "hunting" pellets. Some accuracy loss, but acceptable.

Best: .22 CB Shorts!!! Subsonic... :cool::D

bam_bam_dip said:
BTW, does anyone know where I can get a silencer for .22 rifle? JK:D
Load these up in your favorite .22 rifle, stay out of sight, and get all the stew meat you want! I used them in the 'burbs back when I lived at home and we had a red squirrel infestation at my follks' house. I thought the report was actually quieter than my pellet gun:eek:, and packed more of a wallop in any case - a 29gr bullet vs. the normal 36-40gr. Accuracy was not as good in my rifle as a faster round, but plenty good for the suburban shooting range!

The only reason I had to stop was the neighbors spotted me plinking the little buggers out of the trees in their yard. I think that me actually walking over to carry back the dead ones was what tipped them off. No one had a clue I was using a "real" rifle.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Tickbait said:
BBD,
I'm thinking you should whoop up a big ole pot of this for the next GTG:
Seminole Squirrel Stew
I loves me some fresh kill.

Oh, man...now you went and done did dood it. The Bucks County Society for the Protection of Rodents and other Liberals is gonna' be all over your butt!

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Old Smokey

How 'bout setting up a little squirrel electric chair....get a feeder and hook the positive to the metal base Rocky stands on and the ground to a section that they pull feed from with the head/paws......talk about a last meal <insert maniacal laugh>

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Really officer, I was only helping the sheep through the fence.

Enough of the deliverance/brokeback mtn. stuff. Back to the task at hand. I now have in my possession, 1 med. sized live trap. Setup begins at dusk. Should I use face paint for this? Or should I give them the Carl the greenskeeper version of the Jedi mind trick? "nuttin' going on here, move along."

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
bam_bam_dip said:
Really officer, I was only helping the sheep through the fence.

Enough of the deliverance/brokeback mtn. stuff. Back to the task at hand. I now have in my possession, 1 med. sized live trap. Setup begins at dusk. Should I use face paint for this? Or should I give them the Carl the greenskeeper version of the Jedi mind trick? "nuttin' going on here, move along."
"Correct me if I wrong Sandy but if I kill all the Golfers they'll lock me up and throw away the key"

"Gophers not Golfers....."

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Two words:

Rat Terrier

I grew over 250 ears of corn in a neighborhood where my neighbors and the previous owner (father in law) said it was damn near impossible to have a garden. There is a nut tree at the church on one end of the street and on the other end the lady feeds the damn squirrels. My wife breeds Rat Terriers and they killed over 10 squirrles last year. The also killed, a mouse, 5 or so rabbits, and a bird!

Very bad picture!

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
cptmox said:
Three words:

Rocket Propelled Grenade

:cool:
Alternates:

2 words: spud gun
3 words: beer can cannon

Think of it as the perfect excuse to buy the big honkin' air compressor you've always wanted...:D

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
R2point0 said:
Alternates:

2 words: spud gun
3 words: beer can cannon

Think of it as the perfect excuse to buy the big honkin' air compressor you've always wanted...:D
Seen the tater gun, but the beer can cannon...........never heard of that one b4. Describe it por favor. As long as the beer isn't wasted, it could be a good thang.

Status
Not open for further replies.