What strong clutch do u recommend for my alh?

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
Hey guys wanted your input on what clutch I should use when I do the auto to manual swap on one of my tdi's. It's a 2001 alh

I don't have any dyno numbers on it but here are the mods.

Pp764 injectors
Gt17 turbo
Custom tune (I do my own tuning)
Straight pipe stock exhaust with egr delete.

That's all she has for now but I if the turbo goes out at some point I will put a bigger one in it and probably a better intercooler and intake setup.

Just wondering what clutch I need to handle this. Thanks

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
I've seen those but theres a couple reviews on them coming apart that's got me worried going that route.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Sbc stage 3. That's what I'm running with a very similar setup.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
SBC Stage 2 Endurance, not 3. Three is overkill. Your current setup would be OK with a Stage 2 Daily, but if you want more headroom for a larger turbo in the future go with the Endurance. I've run both on my cars: Stage 2 Endurance for 120K miles, and then a Stage 2 Daily (still in there) for over 100K miles with no problems. I prefer how the daily drives.

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
Ya just Google south bend stage 3 failure. If the stage 3 is working good for everyone on here tho I guess I won't worry as much.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Another vote for a Stage 2 South Bend. Go the Endurance, a really great
clutch that will take just about anything you throw at it, and nearly stock
pedal effort. From all reports they stand behind their warranty. I doubt I'll
ever need it.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I love my stage II endurance and it is holding up just fine. As others have said if you plan on lots of torque stage III might be the way to go.
My mods are: PP764, PD150TIP and Airbox, RC3+ and a BG Turbo BV39 and I am close to 165hp I would guess.

Last edited:

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Stage 2 is all you need just like the other above said. I was around 190hp in my old alh and have a stage 2 endurance. Flawless driving with it and never a slip. I had 30k on it before I sold the car and seemed like new when I sold it.

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
Thanks guys I'll look into these more.

Also what do you guys think about a lightened g60 flywheel. I like the idea of having it rev faster but I don't want to go some light it's a complete pain to drive. Good thing is a lot of my driving is open road not much stop and go.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
SBC Stage 2 Endurance, not 3. Three is overkill. Your current setup would be OK with a Stage 2 Daily, but if you want more headroom for a larger turbo in the future go with the Endurance. I've run both on my cars: Stage 2 Endurance for 120K miles, and then a Stage 2 Daily (still in there) for over 100K miles with no problems. I prefer how the daily drives.
I'm with you, I've had both and the daily is less grabby and if it'll do what you need it to do then you are good to go. Don't get me wrong, I love both clutches.

Had an issue with mine slipping when it was new, they said to drive it harder and be more aggressive with clutch engagement, also offered an upgrade with credit for what I spent on the S2E. I drove it harder and never had another issue.

Even of the stage 3 clutches come apart, they'll take care of it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've driven TDIs with stock and lighter flyhwheels, both on the street and track. No big benefit to the lighter flywheel in my opinion.

thompsoncustom

TDI
bora
Thanks for the info on the flywheels, I was only considering dropping down to maybe 18ish lbs vs 22lbs. I see they go all the way down to 10lbs but the rpm loss between gears alone would be to much for me.

I see there's also a company out there called spec clutch that have clutches rated above 500ft/lbs of torque, no complete kits like south bend but I don't mind peiceing it together if there clutches are any better.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
South bend have been proven over and over again with Diesel engine. Good luck with a spec let alone on a diesel. I know many Honda guys that used spec and trash them. I have installed southbend in 3 different cars of mine and my Cummins. Never a problem. Beat the heck out of it when you put it in and it will last lots of abusive miles. Just my opinion.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I've been running a 14lb flywheel. A little bit of clutch stall now but still not as bad as a gas car. With performance stuff it definatly reved faster but for driving it's pointless imo. For a daily with few mods, go with stock flywheel weight.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I see there's also a company out there called spec clutch that have clutches rated above 500ft/lbs of torque, no complete kits like south bend but I don't mind peiceing it together if there clutches are any better.
Spec uses (or used to use) kevlar exclusively on their clutches. They grip great, but were loud and didn't last long. They also were known to have a heavy pedal. I don't hear much about them anymore in the TDI world.

Lots of people here will recommend you buy more clutch than you need, just in case. I'm not one of them, because higher performance clutches have down sides, like a heavier pedal, less smooth engagement, rattle at idle in neutral, or shorter life.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I think people recommend A higher clutch is due to the fact most have done a few things to their tdi then get greedy and want more power. So In the long run it’s better to over achieve then to go light....ya diiiiiiiig???

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It does make some sense, as by my count IBW is on its 6th clutch. And I haven't worn any of them out.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Awesome. I assumed so. Not to over ride the thread but I’d like to say thank you to you and the other fellas at IDparts. You guys saved me a lot of time and cash with all my TDIs. Stand up company! Keep up the good work!