www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old April 6th, 2020, 21:20   #31
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/46/39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapBastard View Post
$2.45 for propel high performance
Which Location?
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2020, 21:22   #32
NewTdi
Veteran Member

I will take a picture next time I will up at the pump and there will be a breakdown of all the taxes in a gallon of fuel. Furthermore here in CA Diesel drivers pay an additional $0.20/gallon for the ability to drive a diesel (because it is more polluting than a gasser)
Old April 7th, 2020, 10:16   #33
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?~45~?

According to GasBuddy:
MORE VARYING PRICES WITH DIESEL
Diesel fuel is typically more expensive than regular gasoline for a few reasons:
1) It is taxed higher at the federal level than gasoline.
2) Refining diesel is more expensive than gasoline.
3) Fewer gas stations sell diesel fuel, making the distance from pump to pump even more expensive.

The part about diesel costing more to refine goes against everything I've ever heard? Can that be accurate?
https://www.gasbuddy.com/go/how-to-s...n-diesel-fuel/
Old April 7th, 2020, 10:40   #34
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

$1.89 here today.
Old April 7th, 2020, 10:42   #35
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
According to GasBuddy:
Diesel fuel is typically more expensive than regular gasoline for a few reasons:
3) Fewer gas stations sell diesel fuel, making the distance from pump to pump even more expensive.

The part about diesel costing more to refine goes against everything I've ever heard? Can that be accurate?

I was told that diesel is cheaper to refine than unleaded fuel. Hopefully some expert can chime in.
Old April 7th, 2020, 11:22   #36
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Refining diesel and gasoline used to be equivalent in cost- they are both produced in the same distillation of crude oil. But the ULSD standard requires an extra refining step to remove most all of the sulfur content. That drives up costs.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2020, 15:24   #37
ddorrer
Veteran Member
Default 2.29 in Martinsburg WV

Im paying $2.29 in Martinsburg WV. we pay 50.2 cents in federal and state taxes per gal.

Last edited by ddorrer; April 7th, 2020 at 15:26.
ddorrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2020, 15:27   #38
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d

Quote:
According to GasBuddy:

I don't think so.

Ray is a refiner. Do you know Ray?
He wants to refine gasoline.
Does Ray get other stuff when he refines gasoline?
Yes he does. He gets lots of other stuff.
It includes stuff that sells for a higher price than gasoline, namely distillate fuel such as diesel and avgas etc.
Why is it more expensive? No not because it costs more to make because Ray is already committed to gasoline so he has to do something with the other stuff. Its because there is an oversupply of gasoline and strong demand for diesel.
Ray is happy because he can make a tidy profit selling diesel and keep his gasoline.
The world is a better place with Ray.

When kerosene, a close relative of diesel #2, came out in the 1800's refining a barrel of crude came with a waste product: gasoline. ULSD was only supposed to cost $.03-$.05/gallon more than LSD at the time when diesel was cheaper.

Last edited by Tin Man; April 7th, 2020 at 15:30.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2020, 20:53   #39
TheMysticWizard

Drove my Q7 the beginning of March for my commute since my A3 was in the bodyshop, therefore filled it twice in March. Previous fill was on 1/16.

With discounts (Safeway/Vons Loyalty and Gas Buddy - up to $.40/gal off):

Paid $3.36/gal on 3/3 (Likely $3.69/gal at pump)
and
Paid $3.28 on 3/13 (likely $3.59/gal)

Filled the A3 on 3/25 (with discounts):

Paid $3.09 after discounts ($3.39 at the pump)

Checking Gasbuddy now, $3.15 is the best going rate per gallon, with the station I usually visit at $3.29 (Chevron)

So, yeah. It's dropped in the heart of the bay as well, just not as far or quickly as the rest of the country, as usual.

Not driving much these days. Been out of work for 3 weeks as of today.
TheMysticWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2020, 04:05   #40
willydiesel

It's all fake. They purposely drive up the price of the diesel because they are all corrupt, they are trying to compel you into not driving a diesel, even though a diesel is superior in just about every way, but moreso because you have flexible fuel options, and you could store hundreds of gallons of it easily or even possible refine your own
willydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2020, 04:25   #41
willydiesel

I mean come on, heating oil is 1.79. Diesel is 2.99. It's funny, the more crooked left wing politicians, the higher the price of diesel. The more misinformation of diesels you have.

Diesels have more emissions, what a crony statement made by crony people. It's a myth, at best, and beyond unreasonably ascientific at worst. Just remember, they made law and changed the industry based on their equations, in which they gave you the numberator but not the denominator. Gee yes, diesels with their terrible emissions! Ohh! Forget about the fact the vehicles use 40% less fuel if left in it's natural form, not destroyed by the heinous DPF. Yes, I'm sure Saudi Arabia, and Russia, and China are all very clean when they globally pump 30% more oil because of NOT using diesel and barge it thousands and thousands of miles across the ocean, billions and billions of gallons, yes, I'm sure that has no ill effect on the environment.
willydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2020, 05:33   #42
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
I don't think so.
When kerosene, a close relative of diesel #2, came out in the 1800's refining a barrel of crude came with a waste product: gasoline. ULSD was only supposed to cost $.03-$.05/gallon more than LSD at the time when diesel was cheaper.
Yep, I remember my Dad tell me way back when diesel tractors hit the market, they were practically giving diesel away. It was the waste from gasoline distillation. Either way it takes less processing to get from crude to diesel than from crude to gasoline.
The GasBuddy statement is wrong.
Old April 8th, 2020, 06:06   #43
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yep, I remember my Dad tell me way back when diesel tractors hit the market, they were practically giving diesel away. It was the waste from gasoline distillation. Either way it takes less processing to get from crude to diesel than from crude to gasoline.
The GasBuddy statement is wrong.
It's the same process. It's called fractional distillation. Diesel fuel actually requires more processing now to remove almost all of the sulfur. But the main reason diesel is so much more expensive at the moment is all about supply and demand. Economics 101.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2020, 06:20   #44
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
It's the same process. It's called fractional distillation. Diesel fuel actually requires more processing now to remove almost all of the sulfur. But the main reason diesel is so much more expensive at the moment is all about supply and demand. Economics 101.
Good point. I guess ULSD is not your fathers diesel. lol More processing to remove the sulfur. Makes you wonder if there is a market for all the sulfur they capture.

Last edited by sohccammer427; April 8th, 2020 at 06:22. Reason: spell
sohccammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2020, 07:02   #45
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydiesel View Post
I mean come on, heating oil is 1.79. Diesel is 2.99.
Simple answer: Over the road taxes. With the possible exception of states that are CARB compliant, I don't think there's a conspiracy at work.

Diesel automobile drivers are hurt by the higher over the road taxes on diesel, which are, in part, intended to try and compensate for the higher wear and tear on highways caused by trucks. In some ways we're paying for the failure of good rail freight service in the US.