Gtb2056v or gtb2260vk

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
b4v....died, engine swapped into mk1 caddy
04 bew I’ve searched and still can’t make up my mind! Input? Upgrading turbo and the terrible clip to connect intercooler and all piping. Pd intake, downpipe, tune. In future prob injectors and retune. No real power goal, reliability is more important. I know that might sound stupid but..... I’d rather make good power and be conservative instead of max power/half life. It’s my daily driver . Thanks in advance..... Jesse

Last edited:

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
Depends on your requirement for air mass flow, transient response, surge margin and altitude margin.

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
Basically no requirements. Just not a lag monster. I have no experience with gtb firsthand. Only what I hear or see on forum.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Here's the route I'd suggest going, since you can use any factory or aftermarket downpipe with them.
Probably the best of both worlds imo.
https://pioneering-performance.com/collections/uprated-turbos/products/gtb2060vklr-vklr-plug-n-play-for-1-9-arl-asz-alh-including-custom-cast-manifold-billet-compressor-wheel

You won't have the response of the GTB2060VKLR listed above, but it's a good starting point.
https://pioneering-performance.com/collections/uprated-turbos/products/gtb2260vk-plug-n-play-for-1-9-arl-asz-alh-including-custom-cast-manifold

Then if you're looking to make a little bit more power over the GTB2060VKLR you could go to the GTB2260VKLR.
https://pioneering-performance.com/collections/sale/products/gtb2260vklr-vklr-plug-n-play-for-1-9-arl-asz-alh-including-custom-cast-manifold-billet

With the VKLR turbos you'd need this kit for it. https://pioneering-performance.com/collections/rebuild-kits/products/vklr-oil-water-pipe-fitting-kit-gtb2260vklr-inc-gasket

Here's some info on the different options. https://pioneering-performance.com/pages/vklr-group-buy

Good luck with your decision.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
2056 is a great choice for a daily car, also is 2060. forget the 2260, too big
we've made some very fast cars with both of them and no smoke on CR engine.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I really like the looks of their manifold, but I suspect that it's too big a housing
for a 17 series turbo. Would love a GTD1752vkr as a replacement for
my 17/22 for faster spooling.

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought I read guys having oil consumption issues or other problems with the vlkr turbos. (I’ve read a lot and could be confused also). So 2056 or gtb2060vklr..... ��

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
So maybe I should just go gtb2060vklr? Faster spoiling, safe for mid-20s reliable boost. Just a little extra plumbing..... hmmmm sounds tempting for a little more money. Any foreseeable headaches? Thanks to all that responded

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
For sure for a very fast daily car the 2060 has no equal . maybe the gtd2060 which is more difficult to adapt to a manifold but doable.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought I read guys having oil consumption issues or other problems with the vlkr turbos. (I’ve read a lot and could be confused also). So 2056 or gtb2060vklr..... ��
The only time that people have oil consumption issues is when the return line is kinked or has some kind of restriction that won't let the oil flow out of the turbo at the proper rate.
Here's my oil return set up.

We welded a -6AN bung to the adapter plate and then used a banjo bolt kit to replace the factory oil return fitting that’s on the block. The banjo bolt kit is M18x1.5 with a -6AN fitting. We used a 10” (12”OAL) SS braided line with -6AN couplers on each end. We also had to use a -6AN Male to -6AN Female 90 degree elbow on the turbo side.
Here's the M18 x 1.5mm to -6AN banjo bolt kit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAMBA-Banjo-Bolt-Kit-M18x1-5-mm-to-6AN-Garrett-GT3788R-GTX4294R-GT4202R-GT4508R/263428650568

I can message you where I got the rest of the parts for hooking up a VKLR turbo if you're interested.

So maybe I should just go gtb2060vklr? Faster spoiling, safe for mid-20s reliable boost. Just a little extra plumbing..... hmmmm sounds tempting for a little more money. Any foreseeable headaches? Thanks to all that responded
If you're leaning toward going with a GTB2060VKLR, then this set up is your best bet imo.
https://pioneering-performance.com/collections/uprated-turbos/products/gtb2060vklr-vklr-plug-n-play-for-1-9-arl-asz-alh-including-custom-cast-manifold-billet-compressor-wheel

It's what I plan on replacing my VNT-17/22 with down the line when I've saved up enough. The GTB2060VKLR will safely boost to 31, maybe 32psi, so as you upgrade your engine your turbo won't be your limiting factor later on.

This turbo would allow you to upgrade as you can afford to, since most of your factor hardware will bolt up to it including your factory downpipe, your factory TIP, and your factory intake. The main things that you'll need to upgrade is your MAP sensor(go with a 4 BAR MAP sensor right from the get go), oil feed line, your compressor outlet setup, possibly the rubber elbow on the end of the TIP that attaches the TIP to the compressor inlet, and there's a possibility that you'll wanna upgrade to either a SMIC or FMIC if you have issues with the factory connections coming apart.

Then over time you can upgrade to larger nozzles on your injectors, intake, aftermarket downpipe and exhaust, FMIC, MAF, and at the end of it all you could have your head port and polished to get those last couple of hp out of your car.

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I think I’m sold.I think I’m doing everything mentioned in one shot minus injectors. Already have or can fabricate most. With the exception of a few items.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Buying GTB2060VKLR is a good choice I recommend upgrading ,internals as well as SMIC to FMIC, from there you can go safely to others mods,I'd think stepping it up to this level these 2 mods are a must, next I'd look at clutch and tranny, but it all depend how you drive your car too,

I've never seen a (GTD)2060VKLR as mentioned here.

Last edited:

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
Buying GTB2060VKLR is a good choice I recommend upgrading ,internals as well as SMIC to FMIC, from there you can go safely to others mods,I'd think stepping it up to this level these 2 mods are a must, next I'd look at clutch and tranny, but it all depend how you drive your car too,

It is what I chose. Along with 2.5 turbo back, FMIC,pd intake and race pipe, etc.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
It's what's on the later 3.0TDIs and has an odd dual entry into the turbine. So, for these applications, I imagine the turbine housing is changing back to something more familiar with single entry while being able to maintain the 5th gen VNT system.

I'll go ahead and mention that the 2260vklr is very nice. I think anyone's perception of a larger turbo has everything to do with their driving style and/or expectations. I don't think it's laggy at all, but that's once you're at proper revs. Even around town though, there's enough response for my driving style and once you're above 2k RPM it's game over :)

Last edited:

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
speaking from one of the few gtb2056vk's under the hood if I did it over again wouldn't hesitate to go 2260 just gotta rev little higher in shifts. not even sure the 2056's you can get anymore. better be ready to fork out some dough gets expensive quick....

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I have both. I still prefer the 2060 for overall city driving and the best mileage.(between those two)

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
Gtb2060vklr on the way!!!!!!! What are you running for injectors? I might as well shoot for 200 hp now? Reliable?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Gtb2060vklr on the way!!!!!!! What are you running for injectors? I might as well shoot for 200 hp now? Reliable?
That's great to hear. If you don't mind me asking...who did you end up buying the GTB2060VKLR from?

If 200 whp is your goal, then I would recommend installing a set of +50% Firad nozzles on your factory injectors. Those nozzles are rated for 260 bhp, which is equal to about 220 whp. (Wheel Horsepower)=whp and (Brake Horsepower) =bhp in case you were wondering.;)
https://www.uniteddieselshop.co.uk/vag-pd-injectors-13-c.asp

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
That's great to hear. If you don't mind me asking...who did you end up buying the GTB2060VKLR from?
If 200 whp is your goal, then I would recommend installing a set of +50% Firad nozzles on your factory injectors. Those nozzles are rated for 260 bhp, which is equal to about 220 whp. (Wheel Horsepower)=whp and (Brake Horsepower) =bhp in case you were wondering.;)
https://www.uniteddieselshop.co.uk/vag-pd-injectors-13-c.asp
Well I ended up going with a got tuned one due to trying to finance a lot in a little time, (during the apocalypse, no less) I have 2 Tdis though and once I finish and get paid for a few jobs I’d like to use pioneers manifold and build a something else. I’m gonna pm you More ans shoot the ****. Or text me? Since pd injectors are arguably expensive (mounted and setup) should I get +80 or +100 and have tuned down in case I get stupid in the future and go bigger? Lol

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
ON their website they state "The turbo is meant to work with ~280HP, boost 34PSI. In order to reach that level of power you need to adjust your fuel, exhaust and cooling systems as well" Who are you having do the tune?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I ended up going with a got tuned one due to trying to finance a lot in a little time, (during the apocalypse, no less) I have 2 Tdis though and once I finish and get paid for a few jobs I’d like to use pioneers manifold and build a something else. I’m gonna pm you More ans shoot the ****. Or text me? Since pd injectors are arguably expensive (mounted and setup) should I get +80 or +100 and have tuned down in case I get stupid in the future and go bigger? Lol
Gotcha. Hey sometimes you have to go with what you can afford, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic that's leaving a lot of people short on funds.

Oh, I didn't realize that you had a 2nd TDI... is that one also have a PD engine in it? Or is it an earlier MKIV TDI from 1999.5-2003?

Yeah, PMs or Facebook messenger work best for me. If you prefer FB Messenger, just send me a PM with either a link to your FB page or your name, so I can track you down.

I hear you on PD injectors/nozzles being pretty pricey compared to VE injectors/nozzles. I wouldn't go any larger than the +80% nozzles for your GTB2060VKLR, since those are rated for 300 bhp or 260 whp and that's about the limit for your GTB2060VKLR anyway.

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
ON their website they state "The turbo is meant to work with ~280HP, boost 34PSI. In order to reach that level of power you need to adjust your fuel, exhaust and cooling systems as well" Who are you having do the tune?
I’m not sure yet. No one is “close” to me. I have emails out now. Gotta figure out how patient I’m willing to be once the parts arrive and it’s “time” but seems Malone,rc, or tdtuning for tune

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
280hp that's throwing everything at that turbo, I'm guessing you could get 260 to 265hp safely, what's nice is that is water cooled