2013 Jetta TDI issues?

synergy_man

TDI
2010 Jetta sedan
Hello, I had previously purchased a 2010 Jetta TDI Trendline which had a "hiccup" or hesitation problem. We worked with the dealer trying to resolve the issue but after 5 or 6 service attempts opted for our money back.

We would like to buy a new 2013 Jetta TDI Highline but are concerned that VW has not addressed the hesitation issue on their 2.0L TDI engines. Does anyone know if this problem still exist?, was there a new engine design since the 2010 model?

thanks.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Not sure what kind of hesitation/hiccup issue you were having. The only common issue associated with engine hesitations/hiccups would be the intercooler issue which has not been addressed in ongoing models.

If your problem had to do with the transmission (not sure if you had DSG or not) then maybe the DSG just wasn't for you. If so, go with a manual.

Personally, I love my 2010 and haven't had any problems and am usually quick to recommend any car with the 2.0 CR TDI engine.

Last edited:

synergy_man

TDI
2010 Jetta sedan
We had the manual transmission, the engine hesitation usually occurred as the engine was heating up from a cold start. A search on this site indicates the problem was common with the TDI 2.0L engine.

If the intercooler issue has not been addressed since 2010 are you saying new manual transmission TDI models cold still have this hesitation issue?

Not sure what kind of hesitation/hiccup issue you were having. The only common issue associated with engine hesitations/hiccups would be the intercooler issue which has not been addressed in ongoing models.

If your problem had to do with the transmission (not sure if you had DSG or not) then maybe the DSG just wasn't for you. If so, go with a manual.

Personally, I love my 2010 and haven't had any problems and am usually quick to recommend any car with the 2.0 CR TDI engine.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I wasn't aware of any issues with the manual transmission and what you describe doesn't sound like the intercooler issue. Could you provide links to what you're talking about?

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
The only "hesitation" issues I had I found were the results of some poorly designed hill assist. It's even active on auto/dsg. 2 minutes with vcds made that problem go away.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
I have seen absolutely no sign of a hesitation while driving, in any temperature, (of which I liver where there is a big range).

One isolated incident of a "possible" intercooler issue with a rough start up (stumbling engine), which cleared in a few seconds, but it could have been a number of things, including fuel, etc., or I may not have let the glow plugs go long enough. I didn't pay enough attention at the time, so it is unconfirmed as to what the cause was.

synergy_man

TDI
2010 Jetta sedan
If you search the site using terms such as "shudder", "hiccup" or "hesitation" many threads will appear, it seems to be mostly a +2009 TD issue.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=292381&highlight=hiccup

I would like to find out if anyone with a 2012 or 2013 Jetta or Golf TDI model has experienced this?

I wasn't aware of any issues with the manual transmission and what you describe doesn't sound like the intercooler issue. Could you provide links to what you're talking about?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Not that this helps you cause, but I accepted it as a design feature and never really thought much of it. Seeing there have been multiple software revision since the 2010s have been out I'm sure the issue has been mitigated but probably won't ever go away.

It's more of nature of the beast some people drive so they notice it, some would never notice anything unless the engine drops from the mounts and is being dragged under the car.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
I have noticed it before as it almost feels like a random missfire (in the gas world) and then no issues for a long time. A lot of people say when they got tunes it went away. I think there is probably some condition with the software parameters that well cause the little hiccup. I'll probably just get a tune eventually to remedy it and get some power.

SilverMerkur

TDI
Now: 2014 Passat TDI 6M; Then: 2009 Jetta TDI 6M - Loyal Edition
In the nearly five years I've owned my '09, I've experienced this about 3 or 4 times. From my perspective, it has not been a big deal and it wouldn't be a factor that would keep me from buying again. I think you may have had some car specific issues that went beyond the 'few and far between' occurrences that some folks may experience.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
My Jetta has hic-cupped since new in 3rd gear. It is almost like it completely shuts off for a second. I live with it. I have a manual

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Mine does it occasionally during warmup, it's been widely reported so I just live with it.

Hey, it's a VW, it's called personality. :D

Scrounger

TDI
'13 Jetta TDI DSG Premium NAV
My '13 only has a 1000 miles or so on it but so far perfect. A few squeaks that seem to be impossible to locate and that is about it. I wish the paint was in better shape however for a new car. More imperfections that I would expect from VW.

synergy_man

TDI
2010 Jetta sedan
Sounds like this is still an issue with the TDI engines. What gets me is that this has been going on several years now and VW has not figured it out, or maybe they have and don't want to rectify it? I'm starting to think this is inherent to the TDI engine itself and correcting it would cause the TDI engine not to meet other specifications that are more important to the sale of these vehicles.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
But there's only 2 posts regarding 2013's. The rest are older.

Mine has never hiccupped or hesitated. Only the one rough start up, which cleared in seconds. Nothing, ever, while driving. Granted, I've only got 8k miles on it, but there's not many '13s out there to compare to.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
But there's only 2 posts regarding 2013's. The rest are older.

Mine has never hiccupped or hesitated. Only the one rough start up, which cleared in seconds. Nothing, ever, while driving. Granted, I've only got 8k miles on it, but there's not many '13s out there to compare to.
Even tho its not a '13 the engines have changes since 09 I believe.

gtab55

TDI
TDI
Mine has never hiccuped or hesitated. My A/C seems to take breaks during long drives even on the lowest setting (but not recirculate). I do have some odd squeaks but nothing that bothers me. I have 2600 miles and I have had one repair done. That was an exhaust clamp in the underbody that was loose and rattled the car. It performs great though and against the other cars in the segment and price range, I think it is superior, maybe not feature wise, but nonetheless nice. When my A/C is on I will get about 37mpg mixed, but when I can turn it off at night it will jump to 40.

sambo413

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI: Candy White, 6 Spd
I don't know about the 2013s, but I've noticed my 2011 will feel a little off, maybe "hiccup" when it's in regen.. I'll notice it's driving a little funny, delayed maybe, a little shaky.. can't really explain it, but then I realize it's in regen and it's fine afterwards. Already had the intercooler replaced/fixed... continued doing it after as well.. doesn't matter the temp outside.

spish

TDI
None
I have the hiccup/hesitation issue. Mostly noticeable on very light throttle in 3rd up through 60Km/h. 2012 manual.

Amazing to me that so many have reported this issue yet VW claims nothing is wrong.

Makes my blood boil.

synergy_man

TDI
2010 Jetta sedan
They gave our money back on the new 2010 Jetta TDI we had and I know of a couple other people that Volkswagen repaid. They're aware of the problem ...would like to hear more 2013 owners thoughts, perhaps it is not an issue with the new models?

I have the hiccup/hesitation issue. Mostly noticeable on very light throttle in 3rd up through 60Km/h. 2012 manual.

Amazing to me that so many have reported this issue yet VW claims nothing is wrong.

Makes my blood boil.

T100TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT
I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the ambient temperature. I have noticed the hiccup a lot lately. It seems to happen when I'm traveling around 30-35 mph while in third gear. It feels like the fuel cuts out and then comes back almost instantly. It is a decent jolt but it's apparently widely known on here so I'm not as concerned about it but I wonder how it is for the longevity of the car. The problem with an issue like this is that it's not easy for to replicate for the dealer.

travislipe

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Prem w/ NAV
I wonder if this is what mine did the other day.....I have a '13 & we just took it on a trip to FL. Had 400 miles before we left & drove from IL to FL. Everything went well, first tank of fuel I got 41 MPG! But when I left a gas station down there, I started the car & went to pull out onto the road & I gave it gas & when I got in the middle of traffic, it just sat there, I pushed harder on the petal & I was creaping, finally after about 3 sec, it took off. Kinda startled me actually, esp since there was a lot of traffic!! It also did it on me another time pulling onto a road from a stop. I have the auto, I didn't know if it was a fluke or not. Should I take it to the dealer for it?

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder if this is what mine did the other day.....I have a '13 & we just took it on a trip to FL. Had 400 miles before we left & drove from IL to FL. Everything went well, first tank of fuel I got 41 MPG! But when I left a gas station down there, I started the car & went to pull out onto the road & I gave it gas & when I got in the middle of traffic, it just sat there, I pushed harder on the petal & I was creaping, finally after about 3 sec, it took off. Kinda startled me actually, esp since there was a lot of traffic!! It also did it on me another time pulling onto a road from a stop. I have the auto, I didn't know if it was a fluke or not. Should I take it to the dealer for it?

That is your problem.

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
Hello, I had previously purchased a 2010 Jetta TDI Trendline which had a "hiccup" or hesitation problem. We worked with the dealer trying to resolve the issue but after 5 or 6 service attempts opted for our money back.

We would like to buy a new 2013 Jetta TDI Highline but are concerned that VW has not addressed the hesitation issue on their 2.0L TDI engines. Does anyone know if this problem still exist?, was there a new engine design since the 2010 model?

thanks.
2012 DSG no hesitation issues here.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
Is there an issue do you think? This is the first Jetta and Diesel I have ever owned.
Thanks!
there was some issues a while back with needing ECUs reflashed. Not sure if that was fixed in newer years. However the DSG is a totally different transmission from traditional automatics and they do take some getting used to. Knowing how much to press on the accel pedal or brake pedal takes some getting used to.