www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old March 14th, 2020, 03:39   #3616
Scooby24

Host on imgur, copy link that has img wrapped tags and paste here
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2020, 05:50   #3617
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

In my signature below. You must upload the pic to a host server, either here or something like Imgur. Then post the image link back here in your thread. It should show up inline like you want.
Old March 14th, 2020, 19:55   #3618
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/46/39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulman View Post
Okay, I see that I "may not" post attachments. So can I get permission from someone to post a photo of my UOA?
Paul
I would go to www.imgur.com upload the image there and once finished you are going to get different options for types up links you want. Select the appropriate one for message boards and forums, copy it and then past it here.
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2020, 15:23   #3619
Paulman
Veteran Member

Okay, my 70,000 mile service was just done and I had the Blackstone lab do the test on 10,000 dealer-serviced Castrol.
It was all normal except the Potassium was 40 and the normal for Potassium is 22.
Also, the fuel percent was high at 3.5. And the flash point was 375.
They commented that maybe my use of Dieselkleen might have lowered the flashpoint.
Blackstone commented: "Potassium is a coolant marker but without high sodium (or poor wear for that matter - metals are in good standing) a leak is just a possibility at this point."
Comments? Could the VW tune cause higher Potassium levels?
Paul
Paulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2020, 20:47   #3620
Paulman
Veteran Member

no ideas?
Paulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2020, 20:59   #3621
CleverUserName
Veteran Member

Solvent based additives will reduce the flashpoint. Winter or All-in-one formulas like stanadyne PF are solvent based. I don’t use Diesel Kleen and unfamiliar with the constituents.

Don’t use these ^^^ unless necessary. If your fuel doesn’t gel or live where temps are mild use a summer formula which typically don’t contain solvents.

The patassium is a mystery and could be from the additive. You only have one data point so it’s difficult to speculate on where it’s coming from.
CleverUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2020, 15:52   #3622
Scooby24

Potassium is generally indicative of coolant.
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2020, 19:26   #3623
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
The advise from Blackstone Labs to go to 5,000 mile oil change might not necessarily decrease your wear rate of metals. Also their so called averages for this kind of CR TDIs seems to be fairly high. I do not own a CR TDI so folks that own one might chime in.
Yep your correct, CRs do have high FE and Al levels , mine are high but pretty predictable,Al always seems to be half the PPM of FE. Mine are touching 110 FE per 15k(10k miles) and 55 Al. Only thing I'm worried about is the potassium levels in mine which are the same level as Al but again they seem to be predictable.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2020, 12:49   #3624
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
Yep your correct, CRs do have high FE and Al levels , mine are high but pretty predictable,Al always seems to be half the PPM of FE. Mine are touching 110 FE per 15k(10k miles) and 55 Al. Only thing I'm worried about is the potassium levels in mine which are the same level as Al but again they seem to be predictable.
I just got into the game and learning. I haven't been able to transfer the files to post yet, but will as soon as possible.

I had Blackstone check both my 2017 (20k) Subaru 2.0 & 2011 (70k) CR JSW. The Subaru numbers were VERY low relative to the TDI??? I wondered the same about the TDI levels that seemed way high. I did add half a bottle of moli lube additive @ 3k into it. I realize it was my first oil change (on 7k) since purchase (CPO), so...? The Subi I bought new and changed every 5k w/ recommended synthetic oil (6k recommended).

Why are such high wear levels common to the CR? I always was under the understanding diesels wore soooo much longer. You know 1 million mile trucks. My guess is the emission related deficient oil now used along with modern diesel?

Last edited by JELLOWSUBMARINE; May 1st, 2020 at 12:56.
JELLOWSUBMARINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2020, 13:47   #3625
foobert
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see my signature image

This is the first drain trying out Redline 5W40 oil after using Mobil TDT for the last decade. ~19K miles was not intentional, but, life happened and it is what it is now.

It might be time to take a peak at my cam lobes and lifters. The last look was 20K miles ago during timing belt change and all was well. It's still on the factory cam.

Or, maybe 19K miles was just too much? Thoughts?

Last edited by foobert; May 2nd, 2020 at 13:50.
foobert is offline   Reply With Quote