www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 1st, 2020, 17:03   #31
swapmeat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXRPM View Post
280hp that's throwing everything at that turbo, I'm guessing you could get 260 to 265hp safely, what's nice is that is water cooled
Iíd be more than happy with that, even less to stay 100% reliable. 225-250?
swapmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2020, 17:42   #32
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapmeat View Post
Iíd be more than happy with that, even less to stay 100% reliable. 225-250?

Just drive it sensibly, well within its limits. I've got a 26psi tune that I hardly
ever hit. Sure, it's nice to have that reserve of boost/power, just don't use
it very often and it'll go for a long time.
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,SMIC,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr, TT rr Brks
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2020, 19:48   #33
swapmeat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post
Just drive it sensibly, well within its limits. I've got a 26psi tune that I hardly
ever hit. Sure, it's nice to have that reserve of boost/power, just don't use
it very often and it'll go for a long time.
I tend to not be sensible. When I can beat the snot out of my alh and still get 40plus mpg... HAPPINESS. And thatís prob only 130 horse. I canít wait to get this together!!!
Old April 2nd, 2020, 20:14   #34
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

get
Quote:
I tend to not be sensible. When I can beat the snot out of my alh and still get 40plus mpg... HAPPINESS. And thatís prob only 130 horse. I canít wait to get this together!!!

Lol, okaaaay. Well I drive like a cabby, having been one for too many miles.
That means quick, but I roll into the turbo, I don't stress the drivetrain by
burning rubber. I don't race light to light, I'm ez on the brakes.

You can use the power, just be aware that you can tear the car apart if you
beat on the machinery. Get bigger brakes all round and make sure your
tires and suspension are really good. Get an LSD. And then learn how to
drive smoooooth. Herky jerky is what kills cars IMO.
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,SMIC,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr, TT rr Brks
Old April 2nd, 2020, 20:18   #35
swapmeat
Veteran Member

I’ve learned to roll the throttle on my tdis and as I’m getting older, but to be honest I have a short circuit for stupidity. Just so happens there’s a lot of it on the road today!!!! So I can’t honestly say I “behave”. Instant karma last year when I mashed the throttle and literally made the turbo explode. Have bigger fronts, and working on an lsd.
Old April 4th, 2020, 18:25   #36
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Iíve learned to roll the throttle on my tdis and as Iím getting older, but to be honest I have a short circuit for stupidity. Just so happens thereís a lot of it on the road today!!!! So I canít honestly say I ďbehaveĒ. Instant karma last year when I mashed the throttle and literally made the turbo explode. Have bigger fronts, and working on an lsd.

Well you just can't fix stupid. Give them a wide berth and don't get upset.
They're stupid, it's not your fault.

Big rear brakes really help balance the braking, much better handling IMO.
You can overpower the platform, it's not really a sports car. The quote I love in the "What is Handling" thread is "driving a slow car fast". Now that IS a lot of fun, but be judicious about it. Learn the limits, our little diesels can put out more torque and hp than MkIVs were designed for.
Old April 4th, 2020, 18:56   #37
swapmeat
Veteran Member

If you can believe that I have at least 1 rear caliper hanging up (never heard of that on a vw lol) so if doing calipers, I’ll prob look to upgrade.
Old April 5th, 2020, 02:59   #38
red16vdub
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 03 JSW 5spd

I just donít understand why so many people upgrade their turboís , nozzles, 26 psi + tune,along with lsd, and drive like a old fart. Whatís the point, am I missing something. I thought the reason we upgrade, is to enjoy, surprise a few people along the way, do some spirited driving, and maybe some track days as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17/56 turbo, RC ASV 5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, Rosten Rods, Arp Studs, Race Valve springs, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3" turbo back, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.
red16vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2020, 10:19   #39
swapmeat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red16vdub View Post
I just donít understand why so many people upgrade their turboís , nozzles, 26 psi + tune,along with lsd, and drive like a old fart. Whatís the point, am I missing something. I thought the reason we upgrade, is to enjoy, surprise a few people along the way, do some spirited driving, and maybe some track days as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To each his own, but you can best believe THIS GUY..... is gonna ďenjoyĒ his hard earned money! Lol
Old Today, 12:26   #40
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

Easy to spot a granny driver vs an aggressive one, just crack open hose at intercooler and if you see a lot of oil lingering there, that's the granny D, and if you see it clean and no oil that's the aggressive one.