My 1999 transporter

ray

TDI
VW 99 tdi Camper LWB
Hi , In 1999 I joined this forum to find out if I was making the right choice and I did.I ordered a LWB tdi from Germany as there were none in Melbourne It stopped of at Sydney for camper conversion at Trakka. I picked it up at the Melbourne VW Dealer Dec 23 1999. after 5 years and not many K's the Auto decide to play up and was reconditioned Now it's coming up to 280 k's. My faithful Mechanic advised me that the Auto is obsolete and they may not service it !!! then said get a Crafter. Yes I would like all the latest safety but apart from replacing a back door that I destroyed backing into a trailer and hitting 4 kangaroos it has only been in the last year that it has left us stuck when the glow plug light did not come on. it was fixed but they could not find out what caused it! decisions, decisions ? I am tempted to go with a Toureg and a caravan. but then the Australian VW importers say they are bringing in the Californian 6.1 camper, more to consider..af course we are in lockdown and our state borders are closed....So we all wait.: cheers

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Nice to hear that the transporter is still operating, 20 years later. Post some pictures if you can. It's also nice to see a post from a long time member. How are things holding up in Australia, with the virus.

ray

TDI
VW 99 tdi Camper LWB
Hi, Everything on hold in Victoria, we are only allowed shopping, work, exercise or Doctors..government overreacting...today not allowed to visit cemetery.!! still it must be working...only 60 deaths in Australia to date.
This van has been in all states of Aus except Western Australia. just about to have a big service and new battery $$$$... would like a new crafter though...can't go anywhere anyway as we are in stay at home till government gives all clear.?? may be 12 mnths. cheers Ray P.S. not sure how to attach pic ?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why on Earth would you have ordered one with two pedals? It was no secret to anyone in '99 that the 098/01P was not a good transmission. Was it not available with a lifetime gearbox?

We ONLY got slushboxes here in '99, which is why so many Transporters got junked (we also only got them cursed with a VR6 engine, making it a double whammy of Fail). Fortunately, some folks have been doing TDI+manual conversions on them lately.

ray

TDI
VW 99 tdi Camper LWB
Hi I never came across any warning about the Auto and we did not get V6....ah well it's still going strong and only needed for short trips till I decide which campervan suits..meanwhile I am getting older..... and governments don't want older vehicles on the road. diesel is usually 10% more than petrol. cheers

ray

TDI
VW 99 tdi Camper LWB
here we are a year later and still in lockdown. we have been unable to get out of state or more than 5k from home!!
everything has increased in price new and used so I have no incentive to update.

ray

TDI
VW 99 tdi Camper LWB
An update. still have the T4 Camper. but decided against diesel as it is 50c dearer than unleaded so I bought a Tiguan 162tsi Adventurer
probably sell the T4 after 22 years of camping around Australia.