Electric-Fuel Hybrids

troy_heagy

BANNED
In the last few months, it seems that every car manufacturer has announced their intentions to introduce hybridized gas-diesel-electric cars: Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM, Daimler-Chrysler...

What about Volkswagen??? They are strangely silent...

Troy

green+blue

Veteran Member
A few months ago either Popular Science or Popular Mechanics had an article about fuel cell vehicles including the VW Bora (Jetta).

troy_heagy

BANNED
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drwho:
The Lupo 3 Cylinder TDi will out do all of the hybrids....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah... until DaimlerChrysler releases their diesel-electric Intrepid in 2004. It already does 72 mpg, and they say they can increase that to 90-100 mpg. Pretty impressive for a 5000 pound sedan!

Volkswagen will have to adopt electric hybrid technology or else lose their market for fuel efficiency.

Troy

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
It seems like the manufacturers are planning hybrids, because the US govt. is really pushing for them. A treehugger lobby group can affect all the way to Japan, but not VW. VW has plenty of good press, high demand, high sales, AND high profits from the TDI. They can just snub their noses at the US govt.
The problem is that we will never see the best VW can make. Those cars are reserved for the countries whose govt. appreciates simpler more efficient technology.

CoolWhiteDude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 1999, Cool White
VW did make a hybrid diesel w/ flywheel motor arangement like the Honda back in the early eighties. I was working at a VW dealer and we used to see future projects (on VW literture) that they were working on. I remember that the vehicle was a diesel Rabbit and that it would shut the diesel engine off if the vehicle was stationary for X # of seconds. The flywheel motor was used to restart the engine as well as assist in acceleration. I wish I would have saved all that old literture as it would be cool to post it on this site.

M

mickey

I followed an Insight up Parley's Canyon for a little while a few weeks back, just for laughs. Right lane, struggling along behind the semis. I really felt sorry for the poor guy. I finally tired of the amusement, and blew past him in my 2 ton, 18 foot long Mercedes diesel.

Then I found out why he was having such a struggle. He was coming from the East, and therefore had crossed a lot of mountains, whether he took I-80 or U.S. 40. As I was crusing along down the other side of the pass with the cruise control locked on 70mph he blew by me doing about 90, and gave me a "look" as he went by.

VERY IMPRESSIVE! The downhill performance was blistering!
Of course, he was not getting any "regenerative braking" by doing that. If his behavior on previous downhill stretches was similar to that one he had no juice in his batteries, and no way of getting any. I mean...if you insist on driving a hybrid, you should at least know HOW to drive it! I imagine he was probably hauling the mail on level ground, too, so his batteries were simply never getting charged.

As for VW: The original "Concept One", that later became the New Beetle, was originally intended only as a test bed for all-electric and "hybrid" drivetrains. VW hasn't said much in public about their tinkering, but rest assured that they're looking into that stuff, too. All of their hybrids, though, have been based around TDI engines, not gassers. And since they already have a solution to the fuel economy question, while still maintaining levels of safety, room, handling and power that the average driver would find acceptable, it seems logical that they probably aren't spending as much effort on that stuff as some other manufacturers. Once you have a TDI, why mess with other options?

VW may have the crazy idea that they want to make a PROFIT. If the Insights get any cheaper I may have to buy one and use it for target practice! Maybe they'll throw in a free Insight if you buy a minivan or something. Or perhaps they'll put them in boxes of Froot Loops.

-mickey

troy_heagy

BANNED
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mickey:
I followed an Insight up Parley's Canyon for a little while a few weeks back, just for laughs. Right lane, struggling along behind the semis. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not surprising. The Insight has no torque even when fully charged.

You wouldn't be able to do that with a Prius. It has 340 ft-lbs. Not even your... correction, OUR TDIs can achieve that kind of rotational force.

BTW, I was looking through a website by a Jetta TDI owner. She says she loves her car, but she's only getting 32 mpg!

You'd think she'd learn how to drive her own car.

Troy

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by troy_heagy:
Not surprising.

You wouldn't be able to do that with a Prius. It has 340 ft-lbs
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really...? Don't you mean inch-lbs?

blugg

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, black
I drove a Honda Insight once. I live in mountainous country. Forget it. It's slug of the first order going up hills. Reminded me of a Fiat 600. Insight brakes lend new meaning to the term. Felt at risk driving it.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
I bet the drag racing community can hardly wait for yet another fire-breathing hybrid to choose from.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
Troy

Where did you get 340 ft/lbs.? If the 1.5l gas engine is rated at 82 ft/lb, then is the electric drive motor good for 258 ft/lbs? Were you serious?

RED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI 4dr GOLF 6sp MAN

troy_heagy

BANNED
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ltmox:
Troy

Where did you get 340 ft/lbs.? If the 1.5l gas engine is rated at 82 ft/lb, then is the electric drive motor good for 258 ft/lbs? Were you serious?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

Electric motors produce a LOT of torque. As a result, the Prius takes off like a shot from 0 to 40.

Troy