What tires did you replace your stock Conti's with???

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I've said it before and I will say it again, the Pure contacts are great tires! I went with the v-rated 225/45 17. They are comfortable on long trips and at the same time nice and sharp when I'm carving up a back Road. Getting equal or greater mpg then the OE pro contacts. Couldn't ask for more on a OE replacement tire :cool:

rcracer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 GTI S 6MT, Previous: 2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg
Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

Anyone use these tires in snow? I like all season tires since all you have to do is rotate them. My wife needs 4 new ones, and want snow driving impressions with them, especially since we had a rough winter here. Thanks in advance for your responses!
We are going to use P7+'s in 3 seasons, and then dedicated winter tires on steel wheels for winter driving.

Last edited:

Tinman265

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen Sunroof/Nav Platnium Grey Metallic, Titan Black Interior, 6 speed manual. Took the buyback 1-6-17 - Loan payoff 1-17-17
Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

Anyone use these tires in snow? I like all season tires since all you have to do is rotate them. My wife needs 4 new ones, and want snow driving impressions with them, especially since we had a rough winter here. Thanks in advance for your responses!
I have been in 1 snow with these in a 235/45R17 and was very happy with them. Grip was better than stock conti's. Also like the small amount of added rim protection from the wider size. Not going to protect against a good curbing but think a slight rub will not end up in a damaged rim...... Like I have now....

Have a friend that put them on his CTS AWD (by coincidence, not referral) and he really likes them also. Better than the half worn Michelins he replaced. He also noticed there is a slight but noticeable improvement in rim protection (tire bulge) running the same size as stock.

andrewctdi

TDI
2011 Golf TDI. '16 GTI PP
I swapped out the stock Conti's for Michelin Pilot Super Sports on some ASA wheels. Used the same size 225/45-17. Sold the stock wheels and tires which only had about 400 miles on them and recouped a chunk. I use steelies and studded Nokia's for the winter so I have no need for an all-season tire.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I swapped out the stock Conti's for Michelin Pilot Super Sports on some ASA wheels. Used the same size 225/45-17. Sold the stock wheels and tires which only had about 400 miles on them and recouped a chunk. I use steelies and studded Nokia's for the winter so I have no need for an all-season tire.
I am thinking about replacing my conti's with Michelin Pilot Super Sport as well. What are your impressions so far?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'm thinking about going a similar route.
How's tire noise & mpg?

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
Discount tire on ebay has 100 bux off and free shipping on 4 tires. Ends up being 75-100 cheaper elsewhere

Buckwild90

TDI
2013 golf tdi with dsg(Buyback), 2001 Jetta tdi 5mt 414k miles, 2002 Jetta 5mt 289k miles
is it possible to fit 235/55/18 under a 2013 golf? if not what about 225/60/17s? i want to lower my engine rpms at 80 mph. the final drive ratio in my dsg golf makes it hard to get over 41 on my long trips, and that summer time. winter i see like 38.

andrewctdi

TDI
2011 Golf TDI. '16 GTI PP
I am thinking about replacing my conti's with Michelin Pilot Super Sport as well. What are your impressions so far?
I am actually on my second set of the Michelin Pilot SS's at this point with about 70k on the car now. Noise is very minimal, even towards the end of their life. I got about 25k out of the first set. Which is better than I have gotten out of any other ultra high perf. tire.

spartanmanor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
I just ordered the Michelin Primacy MXM4's from TireBuyer after a massive blowout of my right front tire at 28K original miles. I will report back once they are installed.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I just ordered the Michelin Primacy MXM4's from TireBuyer after a massive blowout of my right front tire at 28K original miles. I will report back once they are installed.
Was that the procontacts that blew out?

spartanmanor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
Was that the procontacts that blew out?
Original Conti, I think I hit a raised steel expansion joint on the Roosevelt bridge coming out of DC. It felt like I ran into a wall. I had to drive to the other side of the river before I could change the tire....not good. Shredded the sidewalls but no sign of damage on the tread.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Glad to hear nothing else got messed up!

Roads in the north east & Mid-Atlantic really took a beating this winter. It's going to be pot hole city for a while.

spartanmanor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
Glad to hear nothing else got messed up!

Roads in the north east & Mid-Atlantic really took a beating this winter. It's going to be pot hole city for a while.

I am hoping the rim is ok. It looks alright but we will shall see. Yes, pot holes everywhere. This all happened after the sun went down making it harder to spot the problems on the road and find a a safe spot to stop. I should have the new tires by Friday. I hate having to drive on the spare....thankfully work is pretty close.

spartanmanor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
You have to love TireBuyer. I placed my order yesterday morning and the tires showed up that afternoon at my tire shop. Drove the car there this morning and it is ready for pick up.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Been debating between the Pirelli Cinurato P7 All Season Plus and the Yokohama Avid ENVigor. Sullivan Tire quoted me $714 for the Pirelli's after promotion and $60 rebate and $546 for the Yokohama's after promotion and rebate. Looking at tire rack the Pirelli's got better ratings but I think it may have a lot to do with the fact that the Yokohama's have 3 times the miles reported and they didn't do well in the snow.

I may only keep this car for another 30-40k miles and I'm averaging about 1,600 miles per month. Is it worth saving the $170 and going with the Yokohama's or are the Pirelli's such a better tire that its worth to forgo the cost savings. I hate the stock continentals so I guess anything would be an improvement.

Marc_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
When I bought my 2010 TDI it had Bridgestone 'somethings' on it...they were crap and started feathering in 12,000 miles. They were kept properly inflated and rotated.

I replaced them with Michelin Primacy's MXM4's they were nice, had good road adhesion and are H speed rated, LRR tires...they did make a little noise..but I lived with it.

This is the second set of Michelin's on the vehicle (Michelin Primacy MXV4's), last time around I thought I'd go slightly cheaper and bought Yokohama's....MISTAKE.
They would hydroplane a lot easier, made more noise on the road and didn't seem to have as good of road adhesion.

The Michilen's also met or exceeded their mileage rating of 55K, the Yokohama's did not
meet their mileage rating. My driving would be categorized as 60% Highway/40% City.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
When I bought my 2010 TDI it had Bridgestone 'somethings' on it...they were crap and started feathering in 12,000 miles. They were kept properly inflated and rotated.

I replaced them with Michelin Primacy's MXM4's they were nice, had good road adhesion and are H speed rated, LRR tires...they did make a little noise..but I lived with it.

This is the second set of Michelin's on the vehicle (Michelin Primacy MXV4's), last time around I thought I'd go slightly cheaper and bought Yokohama's....MISTAKE.
They would hydroplane a lot easier, made more noise on the road and didn't seem to have as good of road adhesion.

The Michilen's also met or exceeded their mileage rating of 55K, the Yokohama's did not
meet their mileage rating. My driving would be categorized as 60% Highway/40% City.
Appreciate your feedback. What model of the Yokohamas did you buy?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
225/45 R17 General G-max on the 17" Goals this year!! Should be on today if all goes well.

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hello,
For the earlier poster (Tinman265), is the inner wheel width of the 235/45/17 the same for all tires that I could go a little wider (than the 225/45/17's that are on the car) on my wife's car to protect the goal wheel a little better? Please advise or explain. Thanks!

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
I just had some Pirelli P7 Cinturato all season "plus" put on my 2011 Golf. I had Falken garbage tires on it from a previous owner who didn't believe in tire rotations. The Falkens were cupped badly and super noisy. The Pirelli's are night and day difference. So far I am very happy with my choice. They are now now ranked #1 on Tirerack and I really couldn't find any bad reviews online. Just over $700.00 installed with CERTS from Discount tire plus a $60.00 mail in rebate (visa card) from Pirelli for a deal they have going now.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Hello,
For the earlier poster (Tinman265), is the inner wheel width of the 235/45/17 the same for all tires that I could go a little wider (than the 225/45/17's that are on the car) on my wife's car to protect the goal wheel a little better? Please advise or explain. Thanks!

^^The short answer is no they are not the same, but typically there is enough room under there. Use the calculator at the link below and you can get an idea exactly what chages with the 235/45/17 tire on your wheels. I'm sure the 235/45/17 will work great on a 17" Goal wheel! I think the Goal is 17" x 7.5" ET50. I have 235/45/17 tires on my 17" x 7.5" ET47 wheels and I love them!

myturbodiesel tire-wheel-gearing-calculator

sardawg

TDI
10' Golf TDI
I just replaced my conti's with a set of Nitto Motivo's. So far I am very happy with them. They are rated for 60,000 miles, the ride is much quieter, and they provide great traction in all conditions. I highly recommend them.

JM1

TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagen
I'm considering replacing my stock Contis with either Pirelli P6 Four Season Plus. Has anybody else had experience with these? (side note, my car has had a front-end shake since day one, I'm hoping new tires can resolve what multiple balances and even 16" snows could not)

fancy_dancer

TDI
2009 JSW DSG
I have 17" wheels on my 2009 JSW, and have just worn out my 2nd set of Michelins. First was MXM4 at 81,000, and the second is MXV4 Primacy at 166,000. Planning Pirelli P7 A/S Plus on 16" wheels based on ratings from TireRack. Does anyone have a better idea?