Jeep Compass Diesel

djbobo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5-speed
I know that the Dodge Caliber is offered with a TDI engine to country's that are'nt anti diesel. They're shipped from the USA plant. I wonder if the simular Compass is also diesel opt'd.
Just maybe someone got a hold of one and kept it in the country. Would'nt it be cool if there was a grey market of these cars sold with registration and plates. I'd buy one with zero guilt.
So find out if it is a diesel and get back to me. I'd buy it even if it could only be driven off road.

TDI
2003 Jetta
Just got off the phone with the dealership and he said that carsoup ad is not right. However, He is going to look into it deeper. I have no idea what he means be that. Could it be a Test car for jeep? I dont know. I'll let you guys know if he calls back.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
djbobo said:
Would'nt it be cool if there was a grey market of these cars sold with registration and plates. I'd buy one with zero guilt

I've had that idea before. I recall in the early 80's the grey market for exotic cars like Lambos and Ferraris was pretty hot, and the EPA allowed one exemption to bring in a vehicle that was't US-spec (or something like that) but it had to be "federalized" with 5mph bumpers and emissions controls. If that's still the case I can think of a few European cars I wouldn't mind driving that aren't available here.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Could be a tester or one that leaked out of the Euro shipment? The Compasses are made in Jeeps Belvedere plant in Illinois, and use the VW 2.0 PD TDI. That would be sweet if it was available for sale. I still don't see how it would be legal in the States as the exisiting 2.0 TDI is not Tier 2 Bin 5 compliant like the 3.0 CRD is... It'd be a nice vehicle, though.

Cheers
Duey