Leith VW, Cary NC, a cautionary tale.

tdiinnc

TDI
Golf, 2000, Silver
Just headed down there this morning to pick up a replacement for my N75 and had the following conversation:

(I should preface this all with the fact that I DID call and ask if they had the part before I headed down there. The guy I spoke to on the phone didn't know what I was talking about much less asking for, but after digging around a bit and a significant amount of me watering down the definition of the part, he said that they did in fact have it. Even better, he said it was only 50 bucks, which was cheaper than what I could find online in most places. I was psyched and was hoping to reclaim my boost before the weekend was out.)

TDI Parts Rep: How can I help you sir.

Me: Hi there, I'm looking for an N75 for 2000 TDI Golf.

TDI Parts Rep: N seventy what??

Me: (here we go again I thought) An N75, it's a pressure converter for the Turbo Charger.

TDI Parts Rep: I've never heard of that.

Me: Oh, well, (I go on to explain how it works a little further).

TDI Parts Rep: Hmmm... Well I've never heard of that part before. And I've been doing this for quite a while now.:confused:

Me: I can show it to you, my car is just out front.

TDI Parts Rep: I'm sorry sir I can't leave behind the desk, it wouldn't be good service to other's showing up.:rolleyes:

Me: Ok, well, do you have diagrams of the section under the hood need the air filter, I can show you where it is from there.

TDI Parts Rep: Sure do, let me, see here.... What's the engine?

Me: TDI... 2000 Golf.

TDI Parts Rep: Diesel?

Me: Ummm... yeah.:eek:

(he then shows me about 8 diagrams from all over under the hood. Eventually we get to it.)

Me: There it is!

TDI Parts Rep: (reading aloud, feeling kinda foolish at this point) Pressure Converter for Turbo Charger....:eek:

Me: There you go, now you've heard of it! (said with a big smile):D

TDI Parts Rep: Well... I've never sold one of THOSE before. (hammers away on the keyboard for a bit) And we definitely don't have one of those in stock we'll have to order it.

Me (a little frustrated now): That's a shame, I called yesterday and spoke to (so and so), he said that you did have them in stock, and that it was 50 dollars.:mad:

TDI Parts Rep (looking a little shocked all of the sudden): Oh, well, I have that listed for 140 dollars. 50 dollars he said?

Me: Yes, that's what he said. And he said that you had them in stock.

TDI Parts Rep: Well, let me see if Raleigh has one in stock (ignoring the fact that what was quoted to me on the phone was 90 dollars less than the actual price). The only shop that has one is in Burlington. We can order it for you though, and just so you don't think we are "liars" let me see what we bought the part for... Looks to be about 57 dollars... I can sell it to you for that, but we still have to order it.

Me: Oh I don't think you guys are liars, that's a pretty strong word. I just don't think you guys knew what I was talking about that's all. (We kinda got in a 10 second staring match then.)

TDI Parts Rep: Well sir I can certainly order this for you, it should be in sometime this week.

Me: I appreciate that, I think I'll pass though. I'll just grab it online and order if from there.

TDI Parts Rep: Sure thing, look online, if nothing pans out, get back to us and we can order that for you.

Me: Thanks sir, I appreciate it.

TDI Parts Rep: "Sorry to have wasted your time this morning."

Me: That's all right, thanks!

I've done customer service for a long time in the past and I know how thankless it can be so I make sure I am always curteous, even when I am getting frustrated. The fact that he got a little snide with me was what broke the camel's back. Not only did he NOT know what I was looking for, he acted (quite confidently) that I didn't know what I was talking about.

Compared to a lot of you on these boards, I'm a novice under the hood, but I have been working on my car for the last few years and I am really starting become confident now. It was kind of alarming to see such indifference and ineptitude (maybe a little harsh) from a "professional" in the parts department. I never put my car in the shop, haven't for years, although I do, in a pinch, grab a part from the dealer when I can't wait for shipping. Anyways, I know I shouldn't be shocked. People trash the "stealership" all the time on these boards, but in all fairness, I have had good experiences in the past with dealerships when I lived up North, so I was pretty let down by the service down here in the sunny south.

So buyer beware! Not the worst service I've gotten, but pretty frustrating.

DANIXX, you can expect an order in the next 24 hours!;)

On the flip side though, they did have the A5 GTI parked out front, which looked SWEET!! Can't wait for the Golfs to get here!

TDI-NC

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf TDI
Southern States VW in Raleigh is pretty bad too.

The service dept. is far worse than the parts dept. too.

Parts missing, parts come out broken, service persons do not speak English, no one can tell me what they did, service manager tries to sell me service I don't need.

They're very sorry. The standard stealership from what I understand.