Whats my Passat worth?

Snosport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
2004 Passat TDI, 355,000 miles. Bought used with 105,000 miles 5 years ago. Oil Pump was replaced with chain driven pump and balance unit was removed at 109,000 miles. Camshaft was replaced at that time. Always used 505.01 oil and 10,000 mile oil changes. Timing belt was last done at 283,000 miles and is due at 363,000. Transmission fluid changed every 60,000 miles and is due at 380,000. Turbo was replaced at 250,000 miles. Runs and drives good. Still gets 38 to 42 mpg. Black with gray cloth interior. Heated seats. Fair to good condition.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Just curious - is that mileage all on the original transmission? Just new ATF every 60 k? Thanks.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Check Craigslist in your area. In Western WA an '05 passat in good condition with 200,00 miles the asking prices are $ 4-5k.

Snosport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
Just curious - is that mileage all on the original transmission? Just new ATF every 60 k? Thanks.
Yes, original transmission with new ATF every 60K. Mechanic told me that lots of people use the wrong transmission fluid and between that and not changing it often enough a lot don't last. He claims I shouldn't have a problem as long as I use the correct fluid and change it regularly.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Since fuel prices are so inexpensive nowadays in the US the selling price might be a disappointment considering the overall performance/MPG of these B5.5 Passats.

gotsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
`04 passat tdi
transmission -"REALLY"

not saying,but I really doubt that the tranny is all original.Have never heard of a GMR ever lasting that long,even with the right oil and service.Don`t get discouraged if the tranny stops working tomorrow,as u are 3 times past the normal life.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Considering the age, mileage, it needs a timing belt job soon and that it's the original tranmsission, I wouldn't pay more than a $1000 for it. The original transmission is the scarry part.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
not saying,but I really doubt that the tranny is all original.Have never heard of a GMR ever lasting that long,even with the right oil and service.Don`t get discouraged if the tranny stops working tomorrow,as u are 3 times past the normal life.
This is what I found in 5 min.

This one went 396,000 when it was retired with a working transmission: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=432523

This one had its transmission replaced at 350K miles: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4662475&highlight=transmission#post4662475

Its not out of the question, but of course, there is not much value in a vehicle with those kind of miles.

Snosport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
It is certainly possible that the transmission was replaced before I bought it, but if it was they didn't disclose it. I can say for sure that the transmission has not been replaced for the 251,000 miles that I have owned it.
Still on the fence about throwing a timing belt in it and trying to get 400,000 miles out of it. I work in sales and put on a lot of miles. Have had 4 cars up to about the miles I am at now and haven't cracked 400,000 yet. If I don't do it with this car, I will probably retire before I see those kind of miles again.
The discussions here on the transmission are making me think twice about it. My wife says to let it go.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
If the Passat B5.5 GMR transmission mean time between failure or MTBF (catastrophic) is, let's say, 150,000 miles then you can have some that fail at 75,000 miles and some at 400,000 miles. It is the average that gives you an overall basic expected reliability when comparing to other automatic transmissions MTBFs.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Change the trany fluid every 60 to 80k and likely fine.

The real question is, how much do you like it and knowing you will not find one quite like it?

The guy on the TurboDiesle TDI group said it best.

Its a unique car with features you can't find on any other car (wagon in our case) ride, handling, just nice to drive with good room up front and pretty good 4 pax in back once they are in.

Lots of room in the back of the wagon, I haul wood all the time, slide it up between the front seats.

I think its worth the $4500 I will put into it at 102k as I hope to get another 250k out of it.

Diesel (her anyway) is now less than unleaded again.

Few if any wagons in its size. Always a gamble, but so is life.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Since fuel prices are so inexpensive nowadays in the US the selling price might be a disappointment considering the overall performance/MPG of these B5.5 Passats.
I am curious at why you think its performance or MPG is deficient.

It ramps up like a beast if you use the manual auto shift feature (keeping it to highe RPMs)

Average mpg is 32 with mostly city driving.

Highway?: We get upwards of 44, never less than 39 and that's a long trip with a head wind.

Typical is 41 to 42 mpg on highway (and its a wagon)

Still a champ and diesel is less than gas these days.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I am curious at why you think its performance or MPG is deficient.

It ramps up like a beast if you use the manual auto shift feature (keeping it to highe RPMs)

Average mpg is 32 with mostly city driving.

Highway?: We get upwards of 44, never less than 39 and that's a long trip with a head wind.

Typical is 41 to 42 mpg on highway (and its a wagon)

Still a champ and diesel is less than gas these days.
Sorry for not being more clear:

Since fuel prices are so inexpensive nowadays in the US the selling price might be a disappointment considering the overall outstanding performance/MPG of these B5.5 Passats.

With the 'SUVization' of America the B5.5 TDI Passat is pretty much the top of the charts in engineering optimization for performance, efficiency and passenger+cargo volume!

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh, it was not making any sense.

I was talking to a guy with a new pickup, my old 95 F250 Extended Cab 5.8 that came atop 1 ton running gear despite the F250 thing still gets better fuel mileage!

No plans to get rid of that one either, nothing they have come out with can match it, it suits some mission better than anything new and ok as second vehicle and used as little as possible.