www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 20th, 2017, 10:22   #6451
thechoochlyman

TDI(s): 97 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47.5 daily, 51.4 highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmydiesels View Post
So after several weeks I've added a lot of miles. My last tank was just shy of 43mpg. Not bad, although I had to go rather easy on the throttle and keep the speeds moderate. This was driving down two states on I-95. But the previous tank I was noticeably faster, driving 70-80, and mileage didn't take a huge hit but still went down to about 41.

Right now I'm kind of scratching my head trying to figure out how to get 46mpg, which shouldn't be difficult with everything being stock. Normally, especially on the highway, I'll settle for 42 mpg and drive as fast as I want. I tried some Royal Purple for the cetane boost, and don't know if the investment of $17 per bottle paid off. I normally refuse to put that "industry standard" sludge in my tank, but decent alternatives can be kind of hard to find in stores.
That's about 10% less than what a healthy car should get, I think. Here are a few things I'd look at:
  • Tire pressure
  • Brake drag
  • Intake clogging
  • Air/Fuel filters

As for additive, I always run Howe's and it does me well. Put about 2 ounces in each tank. I seem to notice a slight MPG drop if I don't run anything in it.

1997 Passat 5 speed - No longer bi-tone
2.5" Straight-pipe exhaust CCV/EGR Deleted Malone Stage 3, 2.0 IQ Autometer Gauges Billet Stuff
Billet Coolant Flanges - Idler Pulleys - CCV plates - Window Guide Clips
thechoochlyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 12:32   #6452
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk2's about 48mpg, mk3 ~43mpg thats @(near)80mph(-/+).

yea i kind of remember a good some years ago, getting closer to 45mpg on a light foot. then again thats some time ago, for one i just got this one back on-the-road full time. even the fuel has changed since i pulled that (higher)#. i do believe.
anyways,,.
a run down.
so tire pressure should be ok, have pressures high esp for hi-way speeds. like around 35psi in the rear, some more maybe closer to 40 in the fronts.
just about all-100% of both the front & rear suspension are new, and quality parts. top-notch alignment(he does all 4 corners there). brakes are as well all new, pretty sure no-drag. oh tires are ok, some ok BFgoodrichs.
so the fuel filter should be ok, probably will last one more year, on that. the air filter is getting close to half-life, change her later in the fall. intake should be clear, for one thing i cleaned out the intake, manifold and runners as it were, and im the guy who has now blocked my egr, so should be no-0- more soot in intake, so if anything id be now getting more air flow, so that may hit on the mpg some.
yea i dont happen to have an additive problem, as a matter of fact for the fuel lube i use amsoil, i may plan to buy their separate cetane booster. as its separate iirc. its just in local stores specific diesel bottles you have to find. found what looks like some better anti-gel, dont need it until it gets back to winter tho.
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 14:31   #6453
thechoochlyman

TDI(s): 97 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47.5 daily, 51.4 highway

35-40 PSI sounds pretty low to me, I run 45 in mine all the way around and they're 205/70/14s. The stock sized tires I ran about 48 PSI.

1997 Passat 5 speed - No longer bi-tone
2.5" Straight-pipe exhaust CCV/EGR Deleted Malone Stage 3, 2.0 IQ Autometer Gauges Billet Stuff
Billet Coolant Flanges - Idler Pulleys - CCV plates - Window Guide Clips
thechoochlyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 14:49   #6454
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

iluvmydiesels, if you're driving an A3 (appears so) you may not find things get a lot better. I've seen a lot of variation in FE on A3 TDIs. My son's did great, I know of some that would see 50+, but my '97 in perfect shape would usually get 43. Odd, since I have to work at getting under 50 in my larger, heavier B4 with the same drivetrain.
Old June 21st, 2017, 18:42   #6455
Rapidrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49 high way 48city 38 4x8 foot trailer

The last fours days I've been giving my '96 Wagon a little TLC.
New brake rotors all around and ceramic pads. The rear disk take awhile to do.
New bearings on all four corners.
New Bilstein front struts.
New Bilstein rear struts ( not a fun job)
The car handles a lot better now and brakes a little faster.
A new set of General Altimax RT43 Tire195/60R14 86H tires are on order for next Monday and the front end will be aligned as well.
My car is in great shape and runs like new. No rust here,just rubber goes bad,the mud flaps are cracking. Trying to find a B4 set at a "reasonable" price is a challenge.
Rapidrob is offline   Reply With Quote