www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old June 12th, 2017, 15:33   #151
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

are you planning on installing locking hubs when you reinstall your front diff? the full time engagement feature will probably drop your FE quite a bit .... i lose at least 10% when i forget to unlock mine after engaging 4x4 ....
Old June 12th, 2017, 17:29   #152
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
are you planning on installing locking hubs when you reinstall your front diff? the full time engagement feature will probably drop your FE quite a bit .... i lose at least 10% when i forget to unlock mine after engaging 4x4 ....

Im not sure. The dodge disengages at the tcase and the front axle is open but I guess it will still drag. Hmmm you got me thinking as I dont want o kill my FE as this thing might need 4wd (3wd really) like 10 times a year? Is your front diff still open?
Motohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 17:53   #153
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead1 View Post
Im not sure. The dodge disengages at the tcase and the front axle is open but I guess it will still drag. Hmmm you got me thinking as I dont want o kill my FE as this thing might need 4wd (3wd really) like 10 times a year? Is your front diff still open?
my front diff is open but i have locking hubs so i can disengage the entire front driveline
Old June 12th, 2017, 18:07   #154
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Yea I just looked there are no manual hub lock kits made for the dakotas that I can find. Guess I just have to see how bad the FE is hit. Its gonna be awhile yet though before it goes back in as gear swap is way on the back burner.
Old June 13th, 2017, 06:13   #155
jimbote

i think some early dakotas had differential disconnect ... maybe could be adapted ?
Old June 13th, 2017, 09:59   #156
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
i'm assuming that's a BHW compresssor... was the dodge compressor also a variable displacement? or did you modify the passat unit for fixed displacement ?
The older variable displacement compressors where mechanical (no computer involved), unlike the later cars where the computer controlled the N280 valve. Even a few MkIII Jettas had variable displacement compressors.

In any case should just hook up the wire to the clutch and let it do it's thing.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 13:43   #157
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
i think some early dakotas had differential disconnect ... maybe could be adapted ?
those where very weak and not worth the trouble at that point your halfway to SAS and I dont need that. I will try it the way it was from factory and go from there. Some are reporting no FE difference between 2wd and 4wd. I can somwhat attest to this as I yanked the front pumkin abou0t a month after i got the truck and no noticeable difference in FE. but then again it was getting 16 to 17mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
The older variable displacement compressors where mechanical (no computer involved), unlike the later cars where the computer controlled the N280 valve. Even a few MkIII Jettas had variable displacement compressors.

In any case should just hook up the wire to the clutch and let it do it's thing.

Jason
Yep I have been running the AC all the time for the past few days and its cold. it does cycle more than I think it should but I will put gauges on it tomorrow and see what its doing and decide from there. If I need to adjust it the valve is under the high side plate I believe. the more you tighten the more it acts like a constant displacement.
Old June 15th, 2017, 06:43   #158
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Hmm, I would prefer it to NOT cycle at all. Just let the variable displacement do it's thing. I loved it from the old cars where you could feel the temperature go up and down a little. Also don't have the surge and lug when the compressor cycles off and on. Besides - is the VW compressor clutch rated to live when it cycles a lot?

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 10:44   #159
Motohead1
Veteran Member

The AC clutch is fine to cycle. But I think I can fix it with a larger orifice tube.

But that will have to wait. With over 245K miles on it the input bearing on the NV3500 started making alot of noise the other day so I parked it to fix that and I might as well rebuild the front suspension now so I can put tires on it. I have a few other projects to finish so this will probably be a few weeks.
Old June 17th, 2017, 19:55   #160
Rmschuit

TDI(s): Ahu

I pulled my front diff out completely to get rebuilt on my Durango and the fe never changed for me
Rmschuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 11:56   #161
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmschuit View Post
I pulled my front diff out completely to get rebuilt on my Durango and the fe never changed for me
Yep thats the same thing I keep reading on these dakotas/durangos.
Old June 19th, 2017, 16:54   #162
Rmschuit

TDI(s): Ahu

I was hoping it would have but i still drive in the summer with the driveshaft out I'm running 265 75 16 tires and ever smaller ones didn't change it
Rmschuit is offline   Reply With Quote