06 Jetta PD Cracked Block and Bad Cam

rdcyclist

TDI
2006 Jetta
I've got an 06 Jetta PD BRM code engine with a cracked #4 cylinder. The cam is done too. I've owned and worked on many VW/Audi products over the years and still own an 83 Rabbit Pickup (used to be a Diesel...).

I would really appreciate suggestions for sources of replacement block and cam along with preferred suppliers of gaskets and hoses. The turbo was replaced about 5k ago along with the timing belt so that stuff should be good to go.

I'd like to put in an aftermarket cam since I'll be right there but if I'm not upgrading the turbo does that make sense? Should I chip it at the same time? Other upgrades?

The car is a DSG so obviously I can't build this thing to 200hp but I'd like to improve the grunt a bit. The car is the wife's daily driver so huge changes might result in excessive couch time...

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
I'm assuming he means the block is cracked by the #4 cylinder.

I think as performance upgrades go, the DSG limits you more than your turbo and injectors do. Go with any camshaft and get it tuned, but if you go with an upgraded camshaft from one of our vendors, I would definitely recommend a tune to get the full potential out of it either way.

Some PD engine camshafts are interchangeable, a BEW camshaft will fit in your BRM. Personally, if I were in your shoes I would use a stock BRM camshaft and just have the car tuned, but if you really want an upgraded camshaft...

- Frank Irving (Expert mechanic and vendor going by Franko6 on our forums) has his own camshafts, one of which I am currently using, and overall I have been impressed by the cam's performance and Frank's service any time I call him up. You can find his contact info in the document linked on the first post of thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044
- Another of our vendors who goes by BleachedBora on these forums has a camshaft which somewhat interests me, but I haven't had the chance to try it. His website is http://boraparts.com
- Colt cams makes camshafts for our engines, and I had one which I was never that impressed with, though I read some of his cams for VE engines are spectacular. Colt's camshafts are stocked by KermaTDI vendors in the US.

Those are the most popular ones around here.

Good luck!