VW diesel in Caravan/Voyager minivan

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
compu_85 said:
Just think how easy it would be to get one of those vans with a blown transmission...

-Jason
The mechanic I take my gasser cars to says that the trannies have not blown as often since Chrysler required the use of synthetic type transmission fluid. I know several people who have had the trannies blow up on their minivans. Those vehicles used regular fluid instead of synth.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
It wouldn't really be that hard, its almost a bolt in deal.
The old 79-81 Omnis with the VW 1.7 engine are the key. You would have to modify the side engine mount a bit but the front would be mopar as would the trans mounts.
I converted my Rabbit to automatic using a super built version of the 1.7 trans with a 16V turbo in it and it was basically bullet proof. The Rabbit ran consistent mid 11s with 350-400hp at the wheels. Stock the transmissions kinda suck but you can build them up to tolerate quite a bit of abuse.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Adding to my subscribed threads so I can watch this when I get back to college. :D

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
Spulen81 said:
I converted my Rabbit to automatic using a super built version of the 1.7 trans with a 16V turbo in it and it was basically bullet proof. The Rabbit ran consistent mid 11s with 350-400hp at the wheels. Stock the transmissions kinda suck but you can build them up to tolerate quite a bit of abuse.
Rumour has it that in exchange for giving Chrysler the 1.7L 4-cylinder gasser to use in the Omni/Horizon, VW got Mopar's 3-speed automatic to use in their own cars, which was built to withstand lots of torque and is thus very understressed when used with stock VW engines.

I dunno if that's true, but VW's 3-speed auto does seem to be fairly bulletproof. I have encountered many Mk2s where the engine, body, and suspension all have one foot in the grave, but the automatic gearbox is still working flawlessly.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
vwestlife said:
Rumour has it that in exchange for giving Chrysler the 1.7L 4-cylinder gasser to use in the Omni/Horizon, VW got Mopar's 3-speed automatic to use in their own cars, which was built to withstand lots of torque and is thus very understressed when used with stock VW engines.

I dunno if that's true, but VW's 3-speed auto does seem to be fairly bulletproof. I have encountered many Mk2s where the engine, body, and suspension all have one foot in the grave, but the automatic gearbox is still working flawlessly.
I don't beleive the VW 3 speed was a Chrysler trans and I've never heard anything about that. I'd actually heard that in exchange Dodge had let them use the Westmoreland plant to build the Rabbits as it was owned by Dodge.

I think Justin Sane (not the singer of Anti-Flag) was the first one to do the Chrysler trans in a Rabbit but I don't think he ever finished it.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
VW's automatic is based on a GM design, and was the same gearbox with many variations for ALL VWAG vehicles since 1968 or so until I don't know when (at LEAST into the 80s). As much as I hate automatic anything, I have to admit, it is a very reliable gearbox.

I don't know what trans Chrysler used in their OmniRizon thingies, but it would be by far the easiest thing to use for a TDI van swap. Should bolt right up to both engine and chasis. However, I would be sorely tempted to build a manual trans van!

bhtooefr

TDI
None
They would have used the transverse version of the TorqueFlite, same as in the vans, but with a VW bellhousing (I think?)

Spulen81

Veteran Member
The 1.7 powered Mopars used a A404 code trans. It will bolt up to a TDI engine and many others. Its easily upgraded to a A413/A670 that was used in the turbo dodges and pretty much everything for years. It is basically a transverse TF904.
You have to get the VW crank machined to accept the mopar torque converter pilot hub, which is kind of a PITA. Also a beefed up flexplate will be needed, the stock ones are really thin and fail over time.

Jackbear

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Charcoal
Its been a dream..Diesel MiniVan

Ever since I drove a 1986 Provan Tiger Aerostar-conversion mini motorhome that had a 4 cyl diesel VW engine in it I have wanted a diesel van.

Too bad Peugeot does not sell here in the US anymore for they have exactly the ticket in several models including a sweet little camper van with a toilet and simple galley.

This davesfarm fellow who posted the video. Is there posted anywhere any greater details of his conversion process?

I also heard a rumor that UMC [ United Motors Corp ] made an all-aluminum mini delivery van back in the early 90's that had a few models running VW diesel engines. Anyone know of those? I have never actually seen one.

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Has anyone seen the Grumman mail trucks? There's one or two around here. It's basically a little van built on top of Rabbit suspension with a VW engine/trans.

dubCanuck1

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, MKII/2002 ALH TDI (In progress)
On the "caravan whose tranny is about to die" that would describe my daily driver right now (94 caravan). I'd love to put a TDI into it. Why not grab the engine from one of the European VW minivan's. It also wouldn't surprise me if the caravans came out with a diesel option in some of the European countries. Hell, the ranger did.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
There are a couple of those Gruman vans kicking around here. Both were ex flower delivery trucks. I tried to get one that is rumored to be forsale but I'm way at the back of a long line of people that want it. One has 1.8 JH engine in it.. not sure if its stick or auto.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Factory engines in the Kubvans are the 1.6NA, with a 5-spd manual or a 3-spd auto.

There was also an electric version with different bodywork in the nose, the Kurbwatt.

It's a Mk1-based van, with an aluminum body, so it's REALLY light weight.

digifant_gli

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Pat Dolan said:
VW's automatic is based on a GM design, and was the same gearbox with many variations for ALL VWAG vehicles since 1968 or so until I don't know when (at LEAST into the 80s). As much as I hate automatic anything, I have to admit, it is a very reliable gearbox.

I don't know what trans Chrysler used in their OmniRizon thingies, but it would be by far the easiest thing to use for a TDI van swap. Should bolt right up to both engine and chasis. However, I would be sorely tempted to build a manual trans van!
I hate to correct you, but the 3 speed automatic that VW debuted in the Fastback/Squareback as well as the Transporter was not a GM derived transmission - it was a Chrysler design that was licensed to VW. The last variation of this transmission was in the A2 Jetta.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
digifant_gli said:
I hate to correct you, but the 3 speed automatic that VW debuted in the Fastback/Squareback as well as the Transporter was not a GM derived transmission - it was a Chrysler design that was licensed to VW. The last variation of this transmission was in the A2 Jetta.
Actually the Cabriolet outlasted the Golf/Jetta by a year; so the 1993 Cabriolet was the last VW (in the U.S./Canadian market, at least) to use the Chrysler-based 3-speed automatic.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
compu_85 said:
All the A3s have the electronic 4 speed?
Correct.

VW's first 4-speed automatic was in the Corrado and B3 Passat, with a manual "Economy/Sport" mode switch; many were disappointingly troublesome. Along with the A3 Golf/Jetta/GTI came an improved 4-speed automatic that was adaptive, so the mode switch was eliminated.

AFAIK, VW has eliminated the conventional 4-speed automatic from all of its cars in the USA. Now if you want an automatic, your choice is either the Tiptronic or the DSG.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
digifant_gli said:
Please don't ever hesitate to do so. As mechanics and dealers 30 or so years ago, we were never directly told WHOSE gearbox it was - other than VW's - but it was always referred to as a GM design. There were about a million other old-wives-tail "facts" as well, many of which have turned out with time to be pure BS. I guess it is quite possible the slushbox story is one too. Thanks for the information.

samspock

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Shadow Blue
Now if I could only get a BHW engine in a 2002 Town And Country....my wife would kill me.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
dubCanuck1 said:
Dude, I'm going shopping for a 5 cyl TD.
As a swapper (engine, not wife) of many years' and incidents worth of experience, let me offer you this advice: buy a VW 2.4 T4 with the 5 banger already installed. They were sold in Canada so you have no excuses. I guess the question is why have a fabulous engine and then wrap a POS body and chasis around it when, for zero labour, you can own the real deal? (sorry, yanks need not apply - never sold there, can't be imported legally - but a dead easy swap!!).

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Pat Dolan said:
(sorry, yanks need not apply - never sold there, can't be imported legally - but a dead easy swap!!).
I'm sure there is someone you could slip that one by ;)