www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old May 20th, 2001, 21:28   #1
BillsVW

Default Any TDI\'s in St. Louis with Bilstein HD\'s?

Are there any TDI owners in the St. Louis area who have Bilstein HD's?

I finally saved enough money to put them on my car. I currently have Bilstein Sports and lowering springs but don't like the punishing ride. So I would like to ride in a car with HD's so I can decide if the switch is worth it. Otherwise I'll make other mods.

BTW, the handling and braking (no dive) on my car is great but the ride is terrible. Is there any dive on braking with the HD's?

If anyone is willing to give me a ride, please let me know. Thanks.
BillsVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2001, 11:43   #2
mickey

Default Re: Any TDI\'s in St. Louis with Bilstein HD\'s?

What model is it? Bilstein HDs combined with New Beetle springs or the Shine "Real Street" springs would be ideal for a Golf or Jetta. A NB is considerably stiffer than the others, but certainly not "punishing." In fact...it's just about right! I'm going to add the HDs to my stock NB and see how it works before I invest in spring upgrades of any kind.

-mickey
Old May 21st, 2001, 11:45   #3
VelvetFoot
Veteran Member

Why the new shocks on your NB mickey? Are they shot?
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2001, 15:03   #4
mickey

Because it's there.

-mickey
Old May 21st, 2001, 21:26   #5
BillsVW

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mickey:
What model is it? Bilstein HDs combined with New Beetle springs or the Shine "Real Street" springs would be ideal for a Golf or Jetta. A NB is considerably stiffer than the others, but certainly not "punishing."
-mickey
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Golf GLS with lowering springs from the VW accessory catalogue and Bilstien Sports. I think the NB springs are not as short as the VW accessory ones. My ground clearance is about that of an overturned coke can. Is your NB that low, Mickey?

I thoroughly discussed this in another thread but I canít find it. For me, I would be satisfied with VW OEM sports suspension. Thatís expensive. Of course that set-up would trade off some of the great handling that the Bil. Sports give, but thatís acceptable. Iím tired of burning the roof of my mouth with hot coffee at every tar strip.

BTW, the other day my car was hydroplaning through big puddles on the highway not because of my tires but because of the lack of space for water in my wheel wells!

Anyway, the topic of this post is about TDIís with Bil HDís in St. Louis. I guess there are none. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Is ANYONE here from the St. Louis area?

Bill
Old May 21st, 2001, 21:35   #6
tongsli
Veteran Member

Someone told me that the HD's are the same as the Sport model. This place sells both and claims they are identical, just different packaging and marketing.

Anyone know if this guy knows what he is talking about or blowing smoke up my A$$?

Thanks.

Lito
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2001, 23:39   #7
BillsVW

Tongsli,

As I understand it, the Sports and HDs have the same dampening. However the Sports are shorter so that they fit with lowering springs.

Bill
Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:37   #8
dieseldorf
top post dawg

FWIW: We had an A1 diesel with the Bilstein Sport setting and a ton of other suspension mods. The car was a riot to drive but the ride quality was non-existent. It was so stiff the shock towers ripped [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] apart from the strut and had to be welded back together.

Now that was stiff!!!!
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote