www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 2nd, 2020, 18:16   #1
genscripter
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 Jetta
Default Retarded the Timing, too much Boost

The other day, I got a 00550 - Start of Injection Regulation 17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent code. I decided to check my timing, and it was on the upper bound of advanced, just grazing the line. I bumped the IP down to dead on center, and took the car for a drive on the highway.

Oddly, the performance wasn't that much better, but the boost was probably double. I was getting around 12psi just half throttle up gradual hills.

I think my power issues are related to an old diesel filter, so I'm going to change that out and see if my power issues subside.

I also have an issue with that sensor that informs my ECU about excess boost. Currently, I've been driving under 12psi to make sure it doesn't put my ECU in limp mode. Does anyone know the part number for that sensor so I can replace it?
genscripter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2020, 19:12   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

1st off, can you clarify something please
Stock boost is like 15psi. Your running double your normal boost at 12? So you only run normally 6psi? Your wording is a little confusing.
Why are you running so low on boost?
Its perfectly fine to run on the top end of the graph especially if you run a lower QA. I ran 17psi at 1.4IQ on the stock nozzles and turbo with the line at the top of the graph. Ran really good. Still got into the 44mpg average so imo it makes no difference.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2020, 23:57   #3
genscripter
Veteran Member

Yeah, I was getting about 6psi at half throttle back with the timing at the top of the graph. Now with it on center, I get twice that.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 02:55   #4
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Half throttle means nothing. What rpms? Also vcds cant display the timing graph unless the car is idle.
Sounds about right. As long as your not boost spiking!
It would be really helpful if you posted a vcds log
Old July 7th, 2020, 12:29   #5
genscripter
Veteran Member

I changed the diesel filter and took the jetta for a decent drive. It was still really sluggish, and it tripped the check engine light again.

I plugged in the VCDS at home and checked the timing. It did say it was "too hot", but it showed to be within timing spec about midway through the advanced area. It shows to be "a little advanced" in the text-label at the bottom of the VCDS graph window.

It has the same 2 faults when I checked the codes.

2 Faults Found:
01117 - Generator Terminal DF Load Signal
27-00 - Implausible Signal
00550 - Start of Injection Regulation
17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

I noticed that it has a strange ticking noise at higher RPM's.

It's a little odd that I timed this "dead on" and now it's halfway advanced. Maybe that's due to the "too hot" signal.
Old July 7th, 2020, 15:02   #6
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Yup, ECU adjusts the timing w.r.t. fuel temperature (because the fuel density changes with temperature)... which is why timing best visualized as a graph.

Also note that what you are seeing is the "static" timing... the timing the ECU uses to start the car. Once the car is running the ECU takes over the timing dynamically, and all bets are off, graph-wise.

This is why monkeying with the timing does very little in terms of power, economy, etc... once the car starts it ignores the user set timing.

The exception is if the static timing is so far off mechanically that the ECU can't physically adjust the timing thru its full range electronically. People that notice a difference in power after adjusting the timing... the static "what to use when starting the car" timing... have probably just brought the overall system back into a range that the ECU can control it fully when in dynamic mode.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2020, 19:00   #7
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince waldon View Post
yup, ecu adjusts the timing w.r.t. Fuel temperature (because the fuel density changes with temperature)... Which is why timing best visualized as a graph.

Also note that what you are seeing is the "static" timing... The timing the ecu uses to start the car. Once the car is running the ecu takes over the timing dynamically, and all bets are off, graph-wise.

This is why monkeying with the timing does very little in terms of power, economy, etc... Once the car starts it ignores the user set timing.

The exception is if the static timing is so far off mechanically that the ecu can't physically adjust the timing thru its full range electronically. People that notice a difference in power after adjusting the timing... The static "what to use when starting the car" timing... Have probably just brought the overall system back into a range that the ecu can control it fully when in dynamic mode.
^^^^
this
see it way too often with re seal jobs and mark and pray belt jobs!
Old July 8th, 2020, 10:23   #8
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
Yup, ECU adjusts the timing w.r.t. fuel temperature (because the fuel density changes with temperature)... which is why timing best visualized as a graph.

Also note that what you are seeing is the "static" timing... the timing the ECU uses to start the car. Once the car is running the ECU takes over the timing dynamically, and all bets are off, graph-wise.

This is why monkeying with the timing does very little in terms of power, economy, etc... once the car starts it ignores the user set timing.

The exception is if the static timing is so far off mechanically that the ECU can't physically adjust the timing thru its full range electronically. People that notice a difference in power after adjusting the timing... the static "what to use when starting the car" timing... have probably just brought the overall system back into a range that the ECU can control it fully when in dynamic mode.
The bolded section is what I've always believed to be true...that it doesn't do much other than impact the way the car starts. After that the ECU just says I know more about this and I'm taking over...

Steve
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2020, 11:06   #9
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

You should run a log of actual versus requested fueling. You may find your IP is getting tired, and that's why you have low power. The initial fault code you found could be a symptom of a pump quantity adjustor not working correctly.
Old July 8th, 2020, 11:09   #10
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
You should run a log of actual versus requested fueling. You may find your IP is getting tired, and that's why you have low power. The initial fault code you found could be a symptom of a pump quantity adjustor not working correctly.
^^^^^^^^

Data is good to have, especially when there are multiple possibilities.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2020, 11:39   #11
genscripter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post

My IP and injectors are at 320000 miles. I'll see if I can get a log later this week.
Old July 8th, 2020, 11:41   #12
genscripter
Veteran Member

I'm also getting that ticking noise louder at high RPMs
Old July 8th, 2020, 14:37   #13
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post
I'm also getting that ticking noise louder at high RPMs
What's your oil psi?
Old July 8th, 2020, 15:28   #14
genscripter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
What's your oil psi?

I have no idea. Is there a way to check through VCDS?
Old July 8th, 2020, 16:27   #15
genscripter
Veteran Member

Here's a video of my engine sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkgWQgHy18