www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old October 30th, 2017, 22:27   #16
flyboybob

Hi jrm!

I don't believe that oil and coolant are mixed since the oil passages were sealed up nicely when I removed the oil filter housing. I will be pulling an oil sample to have the lab check tho. And I intend to change the oil when I'm finished putting back the new oil filter housing (still waiting for the part to arrive). The coolant color looked good (translucent and purple-ish as when new) all through this. There is a bunch of rust in that area. Doesn't seem excessive for a water cooled iron block. But I'll do a good coolant system flush too. The engine oil looks like it always looks....no signs of coolant in it.

I suspect that the new part is different than the original since the part number has changed (last letter C on original is now last letter H on replacement part). I hope that means it's improved.

Still don't understand why this broke. Plastic might have been cracked or defective since new or maybe installed incorrectly when new or maybe cracked over time from heat cycling. Just seems to me that this is a part that should never fail or need to be fussed with.

bob.
Old October 31st, 2017, 16:30   #17
Pentonvb05

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

I finally got the housing off, unfortunately I have the same issue. Only one of the walls of the gasket seat were broken. Ordered new gaskets to see if it will seat properly if not i will bite the bullet and order a new housing. That is a very expensive peice of plastic.
Pentonvb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:03   #18
jw4free
Veteran Member

I'm not intending to stir-up negativity, or be a debbie downer, but I wonder if the factory didn't have their torque gun dialed in correctly on the installation of this engine component.

This may be a time, fatigue /vibration issue, or just random acts of bad luck. Time will tell.

I see you both have a 2012. I too have a 2012.
Old April 8th, 2018, 11:31   #19
d2freeman
Veteran Member

Add me to the list, my housing started leaking at 215k miles, luckily I had time to order the part before hand as my local dealer quoted $550 for the part, I found it on the web for $345, anyway the coolant passage was broken in the exact same place as the others and like the others the oil passages were all fine.
As stated this is a PITA to replace, then while removing the dip stick tube, the end of the plastic tube broke off in the block where the o-ring is located, Had to remove the oil pan to drive the end of the tube back out of the block. Since the dip stick tube is a special order part, no dealer stocks it. Sealed the broken tube at the block with some RTV and hope it holds until the part arrives.
d2freeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2020, 10:54   #20
pj_diesel

Thanks for this thread. I did this recently for a friend, had the exact same problem. Mysterious coolant leak that I traced to the housing. Not only was the plastic broken, but the little o-ring seal came out in two pieces. I got the new part from ECS Tuning.
The triple square bolts were not so easy to get out, because the bolt heads were packed with crud and I couldn't see them to clean it out. The only difficult coolant hose was the one that attaches to the housing itself, the intercooler hoses weren't hard to get on and off.
pj_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2020, 04:39   #21
hitman1985
Veteran Member

Joining in on this ! After a few months of not using the Passat much. Omw to work 4 am... Coolant light and later that day went over our pit at work and sure enough there's that stupid filter housing...

125k miles. I went the cheapo route and bought the 37dollar eBay special just to obtain the plastic housing with 2 sets of gaskets... Hope to tackle this next weekend perhaps.

I'm going to try doing this without removing too much off the car

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
hitman1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2020, 20:24   #22
joshferrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1985 View Post
Joining in on this ! After a few months of not using the Passat much. Omw to work 4 am... Coolant light and later that day went over our pit at work and sure enough there's that stupid filter housing...

125k miles. I went the cheapo route and bought the 37dollar eBay special just to obtain the plastic housing with 2 sets of gaskets... Hope to tackle this next weekend perhaps.

I'm going to try doing this without removing too much off the car

Curious about those gaskets that came with the eBay housing. Thatís a great idea! I just spent $100 in oem gaskets for mine. Let us know of the quality of those gaskets!

Also, while youíre down there, you should replace all of the oem clamps with the screw clamps to make it easier for the future. I replace all of mine just to take them off easier when Iím down there because the oem style ones are a PIA.

I have external coolers on mine but you can see how I replaced all of my oem clamps with the screw type make it easier for future times in there.

-2014 Passat TDI SEL
Malone Stage 2 "Econo" Tune.
Rawtek DPF, EGR, DEF Delete Performance Kit. Straight Pipe. No resonator and no cat.
joshferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2020, 18:29   #23
hitman1985
Veteran Member

So my nightmare of this new generation over engineered Passat oil filter housing replacement is complete.

Things I have learned:
Cooler held on with torx and housing with m8 triple squares.

Loosen the intercooler; remove all the coolant lines in nearby areas; I took off the cooler and then the housing separate from each other.

Even ended up using the cheapo housing because my original one was damaged; one of the interior walls of the upper coolant port broke / cracked.

Left all clamps because I on my personal cars, don't mess with screw clamps; I've seen plenty of screw clamps fail; not too many oe style ones tho and I grab some at the yards anytime I go to have spares in several sizes on hand meaning they are mostly free to me

Made a good 2 hour job off this and the worst part was the angles of the screws to loosen without breaking or stripping.

I didn't take pics because I doubt they would have been nice quality

hitman1985 is offline   Reply With Quote