Buyback COMPLETED Car is now in Dealership Lot

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
We turned out 13 in back in June and were assured by VW they would notify the State of Wa. about the sale. Last week we got a notice from the Licensing department to renew. So, obvioiusly, VW has not contacted the State. Anyone else had this happen?

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
The state of Wa requires the seller has to complete a "Sellers Report of Sale" which has an $8.75 fee which started in July 2017, and even though this may not be a normal sale, you want to get your name off of the title. If you don't and if the new owner blows through a toll bridge, like the Tacoma narrows, or gets a parking ticket, you the previous owner will most likely get the ticket in the mail and this can be a night mare to sort out. Also you want your name off if it in case of a hit and run type of collision. Seeing as you turned in a 2013 VW, if it was a DSG, most likely it will get fixed and resold. I turned in 2 Passat's and put VW of America and address as the buyer on the report of sale. This is why you are getting the renewal in the mail. You can do this on line @ http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/transfertitle.html or in person.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
The state of Wa requires the seller has to complete a "Sellers Report of Sale" which has an $8.75 fee which started in July 2017, and even though this may not be a normal sale, you want to get your name off of the title. If you don't and if the new owner blows through a toll bridge, like the Tacoma narrows, or gets a parking ticket, you the previous owner will most likely get the ticket in the mail and this can be a night mare to sort out. Also you want your name off if it in case of a hit and run type of collision. Seeing as you turned in a 2013 VW, if it was a DSG, most likely it will get fixed and resold. I turned in 2 Passat's and put VW of America and address as the buyer on the report of sale. This is why you are getting the renewal in the mail. You can do this on line @ http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/transfertitle.html or in person.
Thank you for the detailed response. I intend on contacting the State asap. Funny, but I was at the dealer today and asked them about that issue and they said it was just a paperwork snafu by the State. I'll trust your thinking over their explanation.

AlanTDI

Veteran Member
Long Island NY, relocating to Louisiana next week
TDI
1996 Passat wagonTDI, 02 jetta sedan, on the dark side 2017 Rav4
completed 12/4/2016

It's been one year since I turned in my 2012 Sportswagon, purchased out the door for $15500 with 79K miles, Nov 2014 From Hudson Toyota NJ, who'd have thunk it

Turned in with about 110K $19627 one of the first few.

Since then purchased a 2017 Rav4, no regrets (regerts, haha). miss the economy but not the glitchy electronics and worry about TB, CEL's, HPFP and other VW gremlins.

I still have 2 MK4s and a 96Passat, but its just about time to get out of the aging diesel business, they served me well

Thank you TDI community

Alan

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
It's been one year since I turned in my 2012 Sportswagon, purchased out the door for $15500 with 79K miles, Nov 2014 From Hudson Toyota NJ, who'd have thunk it

Turned in with about 110K $19627 one of the first few.

Alan
Most of us did or will make out like bandits.

All my choices are beyond my wildest dreams. Thank you VW:p

At this point 99% sure will do the fix -- collect $7,000 (and avoid >$1,000) in TT&L fees for a replacement driver.

$24,895 MSRP, delivered to house from MO. @ $21,395. -- minus $900 goodwill minus $8,000 net basis in unit 'bout $13,395.

.... and all this comes with a 162,000 miles, 11 warranty.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Just to put this to bed, for the state of washington, I received a reply to my inquiry re notification and was informed in the VW case of buyback there is no reason to file with the department of licensing.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
That's interesting because the reply to my inquiry a while back said I had to do the report of sale. So like most calls, it depends who you talk to. Glad you got it settled to your satisfaction.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
.... and all this comes with a 162,000 miles, 11 warranty.
No, you will not get an 11 year/162k mile warranty if you do the fix.
Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited
warranty extension shall be the greater of:
  • 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
  • 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2.
Since it looks like you are the original owner and only have <10k miles on the clock, you would have warranty coverage up to 162k miles since you bought it, not for 162k miles after the fix.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
No, you will not get an 11 year/162k mile warranty if you do the fix.
Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited
warranty extension shall be the greater of:
  • 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
  • 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2.
Since it looks like you are the original owner and only have <10k miles on the clock, you would have warranty coverage up to 162k miles since you bought it, not for 162k miles after the fix.

... correct

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
Today was the day for me to drive our 2011 JSW TDI for the very last time before I finally turned it in.

It was the wife's car and primarily used for short trips and over time, we only managed to average 35.8 mpg but it certainly beat any gasoline alternative, had we considered any. The car itself was a pleasure to drive and was extremely reliable for us over the past 7.5 years. After the 3 years of free maintenance, I managed to to my own maintenance and the only issue we had was with the sunroof screen, which one of the kids (friend's kid) we were transporting managed to peel off with his fidgety hands and the dealership wanted over $1,200 to fix with no guarantee. This happened around the same time the scandal broke and needless to say, we decided against fixing it. Overall, a great car and likely to be have the lowest cost of ownership over my lifetime, however long that turns out to be.

General timeline of buyback:

Jan 2017 - Paperwork submitted and approved
Jan 2018 - I accepted the offer and sent in the notarized offer acceptance letter
Apr 2018 - Picked the date for buyback
Jun 2018 - Bought our replacement (2018 Tiguan SEL-P)
Aug 2018 - Turned in the car

At the end of January 2018, the dealership closest to home stopped accepting buybacks. So, I picked the dealership closest to work, which is also where we purchased the car in Feb 2011.

Arrived a few minutes early for the appointment and was greeted by the buyback "Program Ambassador" a few minutes later. He placed the call to connect with the VW online agent and the whole process lasted about 15 minutes. I was asked to drive 7 ft. forward and 7 ft. backward and a bunch of pictures of the car were taken. The mileage was noted, title/keys collected and I was informed of how/when the direct deposit will be made. Now, I guess I have to wait until Friday for the Chase email and then wait a few weeks for the Bosch check. Overall, pretty smooth experience so far.

We may miss the car for some time until we get used to our new Tiguan, but I hope VW will at some point bring back some more diesels and maybe I will see myself in one again.

Cheers and thanks to the fellow forum members for making my VW Diesel ownership an exciting and memorable one. I certainly learned a great deal and maybe some day, I'll be back here with another diesel VW.

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
Turned our ‘09 Jetta in 8/13/08 at South Charlotte VW. We were late because my wife’s flight the day before was oversold and she didn’t get in until an hour after appt. time. I had gone at correct time to ask if it was ok and they said yes. Very straight forward process only took about 20 minutes.

We had replaced it soon after Dieselgate broke due to wanting to get a low mileage Q5 TDI while they were available, and my concerns about HPFP failures. Before I could do the buyback I accepted a job in Charlotte and needed a car there so took the Jetta. It didn’t get that many miles the last 1.5 yrs and the value actually went up slightly.

I hated selling it as it was a GREAT car. I liked the torque, economy, and DSG. I may never own another car with that overall balance. I also like the Q5 but the transmission isn’t the same.

Many thanks to the forum participants who shared wisdom through the years. I did my own oil changes and DSG services using VCDS and it was invaluable. I haven’t bought the upgrade to access the module on the Q5 though may do so. So far I’ve let Audi do the services on it.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Many thanks to the forum participants who shared wisdom through the years. I did my own oil changes and DSG services using VCDS and it was invaluable. I haven’t bought the upgrade to access the module on the Q5 though may do so. So far I’ve let Audi do the services on it.
What module needs to be updated within VCDS? If you have a licensed copy of VCDS you would only need to download the current version from Ross-Tech's site.

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
If I remember correctly, I have what they called a HEX-CAN cable which only worked on some models of VW cars, not Audi’s.

If I want to use VCDS on the Q5 I’ll need a new adapter, which I understand works with iPad now. Not sure if I really need it yet.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Got it, Hex-Can works for Audi’s up to 2010,
Takes a upgrade to the newer products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Turned in the 2010 Jetta this afternoon. Simple, quick and easy process. Prior to the appt, I took off everything I'd put on - fogs, anthracite wheels/tires, nav radio, cargo mat, and rear view mirror. They get VW on iChat, confirm you are who you are, then have you start the car and move it 5 feet back then forward. They video the car via ipad. Smooth and easy process. No hiccups. No to get rid of the add ons.

NewEngland

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
My appointment was Wednesday morning October 3. The business manager from the dealership handled the whole process with an iPad and someone on the other end walking him through it. Like everyone else, I had to start it, back up 5' and pull forward. They snapped some pictures, including the radio (probably to be sure the dealer doesn't take it), didn't open the trunk or the hood. We joked a little about what some early sellers tried to do with stripping the car. I signed some forms and was out in 20 minutes. I got the email from the bank on Friday morning and the funds appeared in my bank account Tuesday morning 10/09/18. Monday was a bank holiday so it only took 1 business day. Now I guess I need to chase the Bosch funds.

Thanks to everyone on this board. I'm not much of a poster, but religiously read the forum and garnered much knowledge.

MyTDIRocks

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI - Sold back to VW Snif :(
Turned in my 2012 TDI SEL on Dec 7th. My heart was breaking, literally. It was a GREAT car - a unicorn. Ran like it was brand new.... but the buyback deal was just too good to pass up :( Got back what I paid for it brand new. The money was deposited into my account a few days later, waiting for the Bosch funds now. I'm still torn up about it but.... c'est la vie.

Now I have to find another car as I'm currently without wheels - still have my heart set on a 2015 TDI SEL 6sp. IF I can find one that isn't ridiculously overpriced.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Pretty sure a lot of people want 2015 SEL 6-speeds, so you are probably just seeing the market price.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
Turned in my 2012 TDI SEL on Dec 7th. My heart was breaking, literally. It was a GREAT car - a unicorn. Ran like it was brand new.... but the buyback deal was just too good to pass up :( Got back what I paid for it brand new. The money was deposited into my account a few days later, waiting for the Bosch funds now. I'm still torn up about it but.... c'est la vie....
Same boat. 2012 TDI Passat SEL. Just turned mine in, on Wed.
Gonna miss her. 59k miles. Still drove like new, no dents ever.