Power Window Beetle

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 96 and 97 B4Vs, & 03 A4V
Ok, so I think I experienced the window regulator problem today. My wife was raising the window and as it got to the top we heard a bang like a rock hitting the car. Once she lowered it it wouldn't go up again by the switch. After getting home I pushed it up by hand and ran the switch until it held in place. So, is this the deal, or do I have some other problem and either way, has anyone dealt with having the regulator repair done by the dealer for free as the litigation suggests? Any problems with coverage or hassles from the dealer?

Thanks

fatmimi99

Veteran Member
TDI
02 NB Platinum Grey
Pretty much sounds like what happened to mine, except I couldn't get it to do anything and ended up with the window down that night. Absolutely no problem with the dealer doing it. Except the service writer when I called said they would only do the one that broke and I would have to wait for the other one to break before they fixed that one. but when I took it in the next day, a different service writer said they would do both and they did.

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
That is a relief. And the second window was my fear, so I'm glad to hear there is a possility of having that fixed too.

cage

Top Post Dawg
They will fix both now. I know that early on they had a parts shortage and went case by case. Now they will do both. Hopefully they will do yours better than my dealer. Mine started making noise so I took the door panel off to investigate and found that they tightened the bolts sooooo hard that they broke two of the three mounting studs right off. The entire motor was hanging there by one bolt. I called them and they said they would need to see the car and replace the regulator. Since I didn't want them touching my car I drilled holes and used stainless steel bolts washers and nuts to repair everything. Pretty sad!

rlotz

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2001, Silver
I took my golf in to have the passenger microswitch replaced (under used car warranty) and they replaced both window clips without me even asking. Good for me, I had meant to ask them to do it since the door panel was going to be off anyway.

Wally

Veteran Member
TDI
I had an appt for this afternoon because the tire place (rhymes with irestone) had messed up my locking lug when they put on the snows. All I wanted was to have snows replaced with my regular tires, they started in with some bull$hit about how the hub will probably need to be replaced, but when I informed them that they put the lug in too tight in the first place they refused to take any responsibilty and so, against my better judgement, I called the dealer.

So the window deal happened over the weekend and when I went in I explained what happened and asked if they could do it then (and they were slammed). The service guy said sure.

In less than 2 hours they had the lug out and replaced it with a new lug, changed out the tires, and fixed both window mechanisms. The total bill came to a little more than the tire place was gonna charge just for the mounting and balancing and they had it in for almost two hours before they decided they couldn't get the wheel off.

Say what you will, but I was impressed with the service and the price. I might even consider going there again.

As a side note - there were a lot of TDIs around there. When they inquired if they could contact me thru email I responded only when they would be carrying new TDIs again. I was told that the emmisions law was killing there business as untold numbers of people have been coming in asking for them (for the superior mileage) and they must then turn them away. Good to hear that the word is getting out but what a Bummer

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Wally,

Cap Cities?
Langan?
Nemer?
Cooley?

In order of most probable guess.