First impression: 2016 GSW tdi MT

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
So I decided to fly to Mexico City to check out the car I was thinking of buying. A white 2016 SEL TDi MT.
In my first post I was reluctant to get a low/firm suspension car for the roads in Mexico ( which are rough to say the least ).

I arrived at the VW dealership and the car was still wrapped in plastic and was very dirty. It was obvious that it had been parked for a year or more, and not inside.
As I suspected, this was a USA spec car which never made it north due to dieselgate. Speedo is in MPH, manual is in English etc.
The Adblue tank is capped with a non removable one Labeled "not in use"

Mexico city is at about 7000 ft elevation, so I'm sure that had some effect on my initial driving impression which was that the motor had plenty of power but not much below 2k rpm. I actually stalled it a couple of times trying to pull away in second gear, this was surprising to me. When I "think" diesel I think low end torque, but this motor behaves more like a gas engine that any diesel I've ever driven.
After resetting my brain, I made sure to extend first gear more and then I didn't stall it anymore.
Yes the suspension is firm but not a whole lot more than most cars. It still had the 18" rims with 40 series tires when I test drove it.

So here are some of my thoughts:

At $15,800 "out the door" this has to be one of the best deals of the century ! Thanks dieselgate!

Things I love:
Interior is fantastic, Shifter/clutch is fantastic, steering is fantastic. Interior space is excellent, I already removed the rear headrests and will be removing the rear lower seat in order get a totally flat floor.

Upgraded Xenon headlights are amazing. Smart cruise is excellent, as is the smart wiper system ( all three came in very handy on my 600 mile drive through occasional rain at night )

I traded my 18" rims for 16" ones off another sportwagen they had in stock, they look fine and the ride is smoother, they also corner good enough for me even with eco 205/55/16 tires.

This motor is as quiet as the new direct injection gas ones, which have a "clatter" at idle, once I'm driving, I don't hear the motor at all.

My average fuel consumption for the trip was 46 mpg, fantastic!

The seats are just right for me, I'm 6-2 , about 190. I would think these seat would be to tight for anyone much larger.

The only interior discomfort is that my right knee contacts the hard edge of the center column...I'm going to have to install a small foam pad there.

Wow, so may features on this car, its going to take time to earn them all.

"Upgrades" planned:

Changing rear tires to 225/60/16's which will ride smoother and look better as well as give a small rear lift.
Try to find taller same rate rear springs for additional lift.

Roof bars, rear hitch, cargo pad, front protection from rocks, front skid plate ( already cracked the oil pan on my 2001 jetta in the middle of nowhere once )

In order not to congest this thread, I will ask questions about particular upgrades in separate threads after I search first...

One manufacturing flaw which I will try to get fixed under warranty: at high speed there is a loud wind noise coming from only the driver side window. I was able to mostly silence it by jamming a folded napkin between the glass and the short vertical window frame, essentially pushing the window out.

Well, that's all I can think of now...

driving very slow over speed bumps and cobblestone roads, but flying on freeways !

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
SEL wagons never came in a manual. Not in US spec.

sure it wasnt an SE?

Borsig

TDI
They were also never badged with the trim level here. I own a 2015 SEL wagon, and a 2015 SE golf. Only Jettas and passats were badged with trim level.

The wagon never had a manual available. Also, leatherette was in all of them except the very base S.

I dont think that's a US spec car.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked at the two other sportwagens they had, one without sunroof and 16" wheels ( which I traded the 18" ones for ) and the seats were definitely more "vinyl" looking.

The other one was what I guess would be the SE model. Sunroof, 17" rims, but again the seats were the same as the lower base model.

I wonder if the 2016's were the first to get badging ( "although they don't need no stinking badges" )

The speedo in mph seems like the dead give away though.

Also VW never offered a diesel wagon here, they only had the "Crossgolf", which only came with a 1.4 TSI and DSG only. I think they discontinued it here since I couldn't find it on the VW mexico web page last time I looked

I tripped over these rare NOS diesel wagons in a third party vehicle web page, very under the radar.

They call them "variant" golfs here.

I think there are only a few available in the whole country.

Borsig

TDI
We never got real leather in any Mk7, save the GTI and R. Does not sound like a US spec car.

We only get Vtex in TDIs.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you are right that it's not genuine leather which is probably better for durability. Anyway it looks and feels like leather especially with the nice stitching.

But I'm positive its an SEL with navigation, heated seats, power seats, silver roof rails etc

I still think its a US spec car. What other country would they ship a speedo with mph's to ?

I'm liking the car more every day !

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I think you are right that it's not genuine leather which is probably better for durability. Anyway it looks and feels like leather especially with the nice stitching.
But I'm positive its an SEL with navigation, heated seats, power seats, silver roof rails etc
I still think its a US spec car. What other country would they ship a speedo with mph's to ?
I'm liking the car more every day !
Gotta agree with your assessment that it's most likely a US spec'd car. A variant of a variant seems to be what you have. Most enjoyable, I'm sure. Enjoy the ride. :D

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
SEL wagons never came in a manual. Not in US spec.

sure it wasnt an SE?
They did actually. There aren't many around but they are out there, only 15's of course.

My seats are listed as leatherette which I prefer as you stated durability. Enjoy the car!

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I don't trust autotrader much more than cars.com, it's dealer bait to make you call.

I believe Canadians did get SEL Manual thou.

Lou Como

TDI
2016 GSW TDI SE
Thanks mxtdiguy

I'm on my way to Mexico City Wednesday to pick-up my 2016 GSW SE TDI with DSG for less than 15,000 US. 85 kilometers on the odometer.
Psyched that I should get an English owner's manual and speedo, but since these are US spec, not a surprise.
Retiring to Mexico (along with somewhere between 500,000 and a million other US citizens) continues to be a delight.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats ! Be super careful in Mexico City. We got lost three times and I was surprised I wasn't in an accident immediately after leaving the dealership, traffic was hell. The proximity sensors were going crazy!

I went to my local dealer today, they has a silver S sportwagen tdi manual which they said they brought back from Canada ! It had 60 kilometers but they were selling it as a used car although it had never been owned.

I'm glad I didn't know about it because I would have probably purchased it, but very happy I got the SEL instead.

I found out that the black lower trim which comes on Alltracks and CrossGolfs is available, but very pricey. Maybe some day...

After further review, this is the best car I've ever owned, I love it!

It crossed my mind to by another one as a spare !, they are such a great deal

Last edited: