Adding a RNS-510 to a sportwagen with no prior nav

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Details can be found in the link below. Basically, plug and play, remove the compass module, then wire in the voice commands if you get the newest model with voice commands.

Make sure you get the 4 digit code for the old RCD-510 in case you want to reinstall it or sell it. The dealer you bought the car from will usually give you the code for free. I had to pay for mine, $50.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...11-Golf-TDI-how-to-get-voice-commands-to-work

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Thread hijack

Voice commands? Like for the phone? That's all mine does, just call folks . Is there a navi voice command menu.

jdeg

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks for the info everyone.

I don't actually have a JSW yet. I'm exploring the option of getting one without nav and just putting it in myself.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/Vi...avigation/1K0-057-274-D--1K0057274D-/1258/253

If you don't mind the RNS-315... a lot more reasonable in price.
I have it from the factory in my 2011 Golf. It's OK, does the job. Maybe less sexy than the 510, lower resolution and all, but a lot more reasonably priced.

That said... can you say "smart phone"? Or for a larger display, an iPad mini with cell data (need that for GPS)?

I'm going to have to replace the obsolete Garmin GPS in my plane pretty soon, and I think I'll just get an iPad mini with a Foreflight subscription for Canada, I'll also be able to cancel my Canada Flight Supplement subscription ($150 per year or so) and chart purchases at the same time, and also use it in the car(s).

I already use my iPhone as GPS in my wife's wagon which doesn't have nav. I also used it in the UK and Italy over the last couple of years and it worked great. My wife's car has bluetooth and the voice directions come over the bluetooth just great.

Honestly apart from the clean look of an integrated unit, I'm not sure why I'd bother to buy an in-dash unit anymore (or for that matter even a stand-alone GPS). Or even an aviation GPS (unless you need an IFR-approved unit and that's in another league, price-wise).

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I have it from the factory in my 2011 Golf. It's OK, does the job. Maybe less sexy than the 510, lower resolution and all, but a lot more reasonably priced.

That said... can you say "smart phone"? Or for a larger display, an iPad mini with cell data (need that for GPS)?

I'm going to have to replace the obsolete Garmin GPS in my plane pretty soon, and I think I'll just get an iPad mini with a Foreflight subscription for Canada, I'll also be able to cancel my Canada Flight Supplement subscription ($150 per year or so) and chart purchases at the same time, and also use it in the car(s).

I already use my iPhone as GPS in my wife's wagon which doesn't have nav. I also used it in the UK and Italy over the last couple of years and it worked great. My wife's car has bluetooth and the voice directions come over the bluetooth just great.

Honestly apart from the clean look of an integrated unit, I'm not sure why I'd bother to buy an in-dash unit anymore (or for that matter even a stand-alone GPS). Or even an aviation GPS (unless you need an IFR-approved unit and that's in another league, price-wise).
the RNS-510 is just eye candy that masks pathetic performance.

My tomtom GPS has free lifetime map updates.... but yes, the majority of the time, I use my iPhone 5 for GPS.

but... if you're driving somewhere that you don't have cell phone reception... that's where the standalone GPS comes in handy

MacBookemDanno

TDI
'13 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG
Agreed. Smartphone GPS is far superior to in-car units, the maps are better and updated frequently for free. And it's not like GPS is something I need everyday -- I probably use it once a month to get somewhere unfamiliar. And after I've been somewhere once, I usually remember the route and don't need the Gps the second time.

I see no reason to pay for an inferior in-dash solution.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Agreed. Smartphone GPS is far superior to in-car units, the maps are better and updated frequently for free. And it's not like GPS is something I need everyday -- I probably use it once a month to get somewhere unfamiliar. And after I've been somewhere once, I usually remember the route and don't need the Gps the second time.
I see no reason to pay for an inferior in-dash solution.
VW, or whomever their map provider is, wants something like two hundred bucks to update the maps on a VW in-dash GPS, which if you ask me is extortionate!!! Mine is already out of date in my area, at 3 years old; recently I drove amphibiously across a river and plowed through fields according to my GPS due to two new expressways and bridges in the Montreal area.

Not a worry with a smartphone.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
VW and Google uses Navteq maps.

Google and the phone companies embed their costs to you where it is transparent to you.

Garmin and Magellan also uses Navteq

Tomtom uses TeleAtlas

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
For my money i'll have a garmin, its cheap (like disposable cheap) and $79 buys lifetime updates, it also seems far more accurate than the GF's tomtom

tom28

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
the RNS-510 is just eye candy that masks pathetic performance.

My tomtom GPS has free lifetime map updates.... but yes, the majority of the time, I use my iPhone 5 for GPS.

but... if you're driving somewhere that you don't have cell phone reception... that's where the standalone GPS comes in handy
Google maps will let you do offline mapping if no cell service is available.