German Biodiesel

S

SkyPup

Excellent review, I wish he would post the conditions of his gas chromatograph running the fatty acid methy esters, I bet he has 95% purity of the methylation of the glycerol motieties.
Thanks for a good review here, Ric.

Actually, I read some of his production graphs using rapeseed oil, he is getting 99.8% esterification of all the fatty acids. This truly is the "Champange" of all premium diesel engine fuels except possibly the Synthetic middle distillates catalyzed from natural gas.

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited August 25, 1999).]

S

SkyPup

Triglycerides are composed of a central glycerol molecule with three long chain fatty acids attached to that backbone. The fatty acids can have cis or trans unsaturated double bonds, although most are saturated single bonds from vegetable sources, nonmammalian orgin. By adding methanol in the presence of heat or catalyst, the methyl groups are added, breaking the bond to the core carbon atoms. This gives free fatty acids which are methylated and results in great diesel fuel with high cetane values and no contaminants like sulfur to pollute our natural resources.