2006 Jetta Overheating Looks like Cooling

Somedevildawg229

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Fans are no longer working? I noticed when I was sitting in the drive thru I would get hot air but when I drove home I would get cool air with AC on. I noticed a few days ago after I turned my car off I still heard fans running 10 seconds or so after I shut car down. Now it seems the two cooling fans are not coming on at all and it is causing temp to rise obviously. I am also losing some coolant however when I twist the globe (coolant tank) some coolant comes back up and I hear a hissing sound.

Thoughts on all this?

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
Can you give me details about your vehicle? Engine type? Mileage? Last time coolant was flushed and how often? Was VW coolant used? You say losing coolant, is there a leak? How old is the coolant sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justinj229

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
I just bought it 4 months ago it has 259k on it 2006 BRM Jetta TDI, Last time coolant flushed about a month ago when they changed out my coolant tank because they thought that might be leaking but it's doing the same thing. VW coolant used.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
What information has your VCDS provided you about your car's status?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I just bought it 4 months ago it has 259k on it 2006 BRM Jetta TDI, Last time coolant flushed about a month ago when they changed out my coolant tank because they thought that might be leaking but it's doing the same thing. VW coolant used.

Assuming you have two separate login names?

When the fans go bad the ac only works while you’re moving until it fails completely. Idparts has complete new fan assemblies, providing they are both verified to be dead. You can tell by jumping them direct to a power source.

As far as a coolant leak, check your coolant temperature sensor, thermostat housing, egr cooler and pull the TB cover and check the water pump.

Each of these can leak very slightly. The cts will have a bit of wetness on it or even a small wet spot on top of the transmission. The others can be found by looking for the telltale pink crusty trail.

If it’s the water pump change it immediately before it decides to seize and ruin the head.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Fans are no longer working? I noticed when I was sitting in the drive thru I would get hot air but when I drove home I would get cool air with AC on. I noticed a few days ago after I turned my car off I still heard fans running 10 seconds or so after I shut car down. Now it seems the two cooling fans are not coming on at all and it is causing temp to rise obviously. I am also losing some coolant however when I twist the globe (coolant tank) some coolant comes back up and I hear a hissing sound.
Thoughts on all this?
First thing you should do is find and fix your coolant leaks. A hissing sound is normal when you open the cap on a warm engine because a warm cooling system is pressurized to about 14 PSI which raises the coolant boiling point to about 265F.

Leaks will not allow the system to pressurize properly and can cause the coolant to boil at normal engine operating temps. After you fix the leaks you should reevaluate your issues.

*Added: Almost forgot, another very possible place for coolant leaks on older BRM engines is the hoses on the back of the engine for the EGR cooler. They are best inspected from the bottom side of the engine.

In a properly functioning system, cooling fans almost never come on for engine cooling unless you are stuck in traffic on a warm day. If you are driving at say 25 mph with the AC off the fans should not come on and the temp will be in the normal operating range.

If you come to a stop and the temp seems to rise quickly it might be because your system is leaking. On a 75F day when I come to stop with a warm engine with the AC off, the cooling fans don't come on for at least 10 minutes of idling.

Last edited:

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
Agreed with the other post. First and foremost find and fix the coolant leak. In a pressurized system it’s imperative that there are no leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk