actual tank capacity when venting

ChugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Ok, I did the venting thing today on my 2000 NB. I started out with little less than a quarter of a tank (found a great price on fuel, couldn't pass it up). Ended up putting little over 12 gallons in it. Since it is a 14.5 gallon tank, how much fits in there when fully vented? I vented until i could see fuel after venting was complete.
I want to know for better mileage calculations. thanks

Jolene

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. I've heard people estimate in the range of 16.8 -- 17 gal (US). I don't know if the range in estimates is because of the difference in vehicles or non-precision of the estimation process. Also, most people feel that the light comes on with about 1.9 - 2 gallons left, giving a range from the light-on point of approx. 85 - 110 miles (for a 5 speed). But us grey-haired, broken down, old, cheap retired guys who drive slow are far too concerned about problems caused by running dry to push it too far.
Bruce Henderson, Wallace NC
(This info for a Jetta - dunno how a NB compares.)

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
It took me a couple of months with filling my 99 NB to finally understand that OldNavy is correct. He was putting up posts here that claimed he could get almost 18.0 gallons in his NB tank. Well I just knew that he was an old nut (us old guys can call each other old nuts) and couldn't read either, cause the VWoA owners's manual clearly states that the tank size is 14.5 gallons.
I believed that the owner's manual was correct on the 14.5 gallon fuel tank size. And every time I filled up, I did exactly what you are doing and I came up with the 14.5 total considering that the reserve is 1.9 and I was getting about 12.5 in at fill.
Then one day I "REALLY VENTED" the tank on fill. I held the vent button open all the time I was putting in fuel, after I had initially hit the auto shutoff. I was surprised/stunned/confused to find that I put in 14.56 gallons of diesel where before I had always put in 12.5 approximately.
The tank is 16.5 to 17.0 gallons at least. At this point I don't believe VWoA on the size of the reserve either.
OldNavy RULES.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I filled Lind's Jetta up last week with B100 and I was about 20 miles into reserve when I filled tank. I put 16.0 Gallons of B100 into tank and did not fill it to within sight.

Monday I'll be filling the NB with B100 and I will have about 12 to 15 miles on reserve. I'll let you know how many gals I put in, because I'm filling her to the rim.

I would bet that the expansion chamber will hold 2.5 to 3.5 gal, because gas has such a large expansion factor and diesel doesn't expand. For those of you that didn't know, VW uses the same tank section for gassers as diesels.

Forgot to mention that the B100 I get doesn't foam up due use of small volume pump, it just comes out in beautiful solid stream.

From what I've heard from a few diehards that have run out, refilled from fuel can known amount, then filled up at station say the reserve is pretty close to correct. I'll just take there word for it, I don't want that kind of stress on my fuel pump.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Of course, when Old Navy fills HIMSELF up with beans, the venting trick can be disasterous!

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Before I ventectomied I could get about 1.5 to 2 gallons extra into the tank pushing the tab with the tip of the pump nozzle.

-Jack

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Oilhammer you should talk, it took several days to clear the air in the garage at the last GTG. Man you should check into harnesing that for your TDI.

Just filled up with the B100 and took 16.3 gal and I was only halfway into the read line and about 22 miles since fuel warning light came on.
Total cost of fuel was $38.55 for 16.3 gal.