More on VR6 Factory Sport Springs

First D

Veteran Member
I just purchased used factory sport springs and struts from a VR6 wagon. I expected to find a match with the codes listed on previous threads (for the front springs) but was unable to. The springs (they have the same number of coils as the 1.8T WE, but the spring is shorter and the coil is thicker) have two white dots and four green dots. The rear springs (1 extra coil and slightly longer compared to the WE sedan) have one green and two brown dots.

Could someone please confirm I've actually got VR6 sport wagon springs?

Also, could somebody confirm whether I should use the spacer? I wouldn't mind having the front lowered up to 1/2 inch.

[ July 07, 2002, 18:59: Message edited by: First D ]

**DONOTDELETE**

If you use the sport springs, use the spacer to level the car like you have it now, unless you want the front lowered 10mm, then don't!

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
Is there a source for factory springs other than the dealer??? I'd like to upgrade my wagon to the VR6 sport suspension along with the Bilstein TC struts/shocks (the sport valving model). I'd guess the stealer wants a fair penny for the springs and misc. parts.

All aftermarket setups lower the car, which I don't want. The darn thing is low enough already. I just want to improve the float/wallow a bit.

Chris

First D

Veteran Member
Go to Vortex and see if anybody is selling their factory sport suspension from a VR6 wagon. Wagon suspensions are hard to come by. I got lucky, paid $190 including shipping across country.

In general, people are selling their factory sport suspensions for about $100-$175. If the rear springs are the same for stock and factory sport (that's why the paint codes are important) then you should be able to use the front sport springs from a VR6 sedan.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Codes seem like the ones I've got on my car . . . I dunno if I posted them here though.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
I just bought a set of springs from a 2001 GLX and the paint codes are 3 white and 2 blue. I haven't seen this code on any parts list posted. Any idea where to see a chart to verify application?

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Do all 2001 GLX's have "sport type running gear"? Or is it part of a package? Stand alone option? Thanks, Bob

comsult

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Dk. Blue
General question for anyone in the know.
In the original post, a spacer is mentioned. Does this mean that the standard Suspension can be raised 10mm, using this spacer. Would this work in the back too.
This would resolve my problem of Gravel roads,rock,gators etc.

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
I got mine for $125 shipped from calli. Vortex is the place to go.