Lift for TDI Sportwagen (for oversize tires)

drade

TDI
1.9tdi mk5
Honestly, if I can find some cheap tig shocks, I'd put the jsw springs back in to check out the setup.
Why not check them out with the suplex springs first? In any case if you do find a set it would be really interesting to see. That simple photo you took of the 3 springs together is a great help.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
no reason to... shocks don't affect height and i know the stock height shocks work.
still need to know if longer shocks will stop the jsw tows from topping.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
to affect height, the car would have to be sitting on them while fully compressed. and we're nowhere near that due to the strength of any of these springs.

jku72

TDI
2011 sportwagen
I recently did a lift on my 2011 JSW. I used towing springs in the rear, and Tiguan 2wd springs in the front. As well, I swapped from 205-55-16 tires to 205-65-16's. It drives great, doesn't look too radical, and most important, we dont bottom out or bend rims anymore, all things the stock JSW did. Going with the bigger tires has helped highway mileage by a point or two, no difference noted for the little bit of in town we do. I also noticed that we can carry a lot more weight in the back without sagging, which was a bit of a problem with the stock configuration. In the change, I used Bilstein shocks at all 4 corners as well, as the rears were dead.

drade

TDI
1.9tdi mk5
Won't this setup translate into a very harsh ride? One of the reasons I want to lift my Golf is to have a comfier ride over poor roads, I think this setup is great for people who tow or simply want a higher car without caring about comfort.

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
If you want a softer ride compared to the tow springs go with the Tig 2wd springs front and rear like Carp did.

dart330

TDI
2013 JSW
Won't this setup translate into a very harsh ride? One of the reasons I want to lift my Golf is to have a comfier ride over poor roads, I think this setup is great for people who tow or simply want a higher car without caring about comfort.
I did not notice any change in ride comfort when adding the towing springs. It just raised the ride height. 90% of our driving is empty commuting, and 10% is fully loaded weekend trips. Those weekend trips lowered the car down enough to justify the lift. Now we don't scrape the tailpipe on driveways and I'm not nearly as worried about bottoming out on the horrible roads in Houston.

But yes, you would want to use the Tiguan springs on the rear of a Golf.
http://www.idparts.com/complete-spring-set-tiguan-p-4933.html
Set of 2WD Tiguan springs that are perfect for Mk6 Golf and Jetta lift. These will result in a 1.5" lift in the front and just over a 2" lift in the rear. Also a great option for the Audi A3 TDI! These can also be used on a Sportwagen, though, the heavier Sportwagen rear end will not be lifted as high as a Golf or Jetta. For the Sportwagen we recommend the Sportwagen Lift Springs Set.

Last edited:

drade

TDI
1.9tdi mk5
I did not notice any change in ride comfort when adding the towing springs. It just raised the ride height.
I was also referring to the HD bilstein shocks. I've heard that yellow bilsteins are rather firm. Not the case with HDs?

dart330

TDI
2013 JSW
I was also referring to the HD bilstein shocks. I've heard that yellow bilsteins are rather firm. Not the case with HDs?
I have not changed the shocks yet but I would expect the Bilsteins to be stiffer than stock (which I would welcome). I am still debating on going with them or trying the Koni FSD.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
just an update... i'm gonna put the jsw springs back in and try some KYB tiguan shocks.
I believe the tiguan rear springs combined with the Golf shocks are good and fine for the general lift.
I wanna try the tig shocks with the jsw springs to maintain the absolute highest lift when i put my trailer on.
and it's just a fun excuse to wrench.

dart330

TDI
2013 JSW
Kill Your Back are the last shocks I would ever install. I know Bilsteins and Konis are expensive, but they are well worth it. I'd take OEM over KYB.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
bilstein tc's and kyb excels are pretty much identical in price... but tc's are known to be stiffer...and that ain't gonna help my cause here :)
I went cheap since this is more to test the fit and suitability of the tig shocks ot the task

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
Well, JSW towing rears back in. KYB tig rears in (after drama). Note to others... when doing a project, make certain the shock top nuts are in the box with the shock before taking the car apart. FYI, the KYB Excel Tiguan rear shocks use an M10 1.25 pitch nylock nut. :)
Initial signs are good. one place i used to make the shocks top out didn't make them top out. Won't know until this weekend when i'm on my unimproved drive up at the cabin if the topping is completely gone.
Ride feels ok.
BTW...someone asked if putting all these heavy springs in made the ride harsh.... For my money, it ain't the suspensions... it's the stupid 17" wheels with low-profile tires at high pressure that make it bad. I through my 15" wheels with snows on since i can burn the last 4/32 tread before i put new snows on.... much nicer ride on the road.

drade

TDI
1.9tdi mk5
Well, JSW towing rears back in. KYB tig rears in (after drama). Note to others... when doing a project, make certain the shock top nuts are in the box with the shock before taking the car apart. FYI, the KYB Excel Tiguan rear shocks use an M10 1.25 pitch nylock nut. :)
Initial signs are good. one place i used to make the shocks top out didn't make them top out. Won't know until this weekend when i'm on my unimproved drive up at the cabin if the topping is completely gone.
Ride feels ok.
BTW...someone asked if putting all these heavy springs in made the ride harsh.... For my money, it ain't the suspensions... it's the stupid 17" wheels with low-profile tires at high pressure that make it bad. I through my 15" wheels with snows on since i can burn the last 4/32 tread before i put new snows on.... much nicer ride on the road.
Snap a few pictures for us to see. A vid would also be interesting while you are going over a bump or something :)

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf tdi wolfsburg and 1986 toyota pickup SASed AHU tdi
bigger than 27"

has anyone tried bigger than 215/65r16 27 or is it the biggest you can put on without rubbing.

I have a golf with custon rear that equals to 2.5 inch of lift and front tiguan.

I tried today with 215/70r16 27.9 and they fit but rub a little when you turn.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
weekend synopsis... Golf with JSW rears and tiguan rear shocks doesn't top out the shocks. I'm keeping this setup. It gives me the max height under the trailer hitch when i need to pull my trailer.
I think for people without a trailer... the suplex rears and golf rear shocks is fine (and a bit softer ride).

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
picture

weekend synopsis... Golf with JSW rears and tiguan rear shocks doesn't top out the shocks. I'm keeping this setup. It gives me the max height under the trailer hitch when i need to pull my trailer.
I think for people without a trailer... the suplex rears and golf rear shocks is fine (and a bit softer ride).
Can you post a picture of the new setup?

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
tiguan coil front. custom rear

so this afternoon I decided to install the tiguan coil and I did not remove the axles nut and therefore did not remove the axle. it went pretry good and I love the way it is now.

I just wanted to let everyone know that you dont need to remove thr axle st all to do this.

halbro

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon MT
Which Shocks?

I'm about to buy my 2010 JSW the lift springs set from IDParts for Christmas. They have a good deal on the Koni Yellows which includes new bumpers, etc. but they recommend Koni FSD's for this setup. I've always been partial to Bilsteins on my other VW's. I occasionally pull a lightweight luggage trailer and prefer a somewhat stiffer ride than stock. Opinions welcome. Thanks.

GTISMKR

TDI
2014 JSW
I'm really happy with my Koni yellows and lift springs. I've had Bilstein HDs on a Subaru in the past and found them over-damped.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I've installed the towing rear springs. They provide a nice lift with much improved weight capacity. I have the tiggy front springs in boxes waiting to be installed. Today I test fit some 17" Sonoma wheels from a Passat with a 225/55R17 tire (26.7"). It looks perfect in the rear with the towing springs. The front fits without rubbing, but it's tight. I will wait to put these wheels and tires on the car until I get the front springs installed. See photos below.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Seems like I can't waste down time at home without tearing into installing the front springs. Here are photos of the car before and after.

In this photo only rear towing springs are installed, stock wheels and tires.

This is the "after" photo. Rear towing springs, front Tiggy springs. Passat Sonoma wheels with 225/55R17 Conti Pure Contact tires.

I've only driven 10-15 miles so far the ride is much better over bumps with the taller profile tire. The ride is also much more SUV-like. This is not for the performance-minded person, but fits my tastes well. It sits about 2.5" taller overall. I now have a manual tranny diesel SUV :0).