help - engine three cylinders running

TDICrazier

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
i said couple days ago that my jetta tdi engine burning oil too much - about 3/4 liter after 4000 mile. this morning, i drove on a highway for 30 minutes to my work. when i came out and started car, i heard engine sound very loud and choppy, upon opening up the hood, i saw the engine was shaking, looked like only 3 cylinders were working. i was not sure what went wrong, fearing to damage anything, so just drove back slowly at 40 mph speed. can you please advise what i should look at before going to stealer (my car warranty has expired)? thanks.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
is there a check engine light on? can you check the fuel flowing into the engine while it's running?

TDICrazier

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
thanks for response... no check engine light on. i'm not sure how to check the fuel flowing into the engine while it's running, i guess it must because engine starts just running abnormally..

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I'm not sure if the 06 has clear lines from the filter - can anyone fill that in?

has the timing belt been recently done? Could it have slipped?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You could try cracking the fuel injection lines at the top of each injector, just enough to see if the fuel is coming through and if you can do it with the car running then you'll hear wether or not it has any effect which could point to the cylinder that might be having the problem.:)

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
The best advice is to not take it to the dealer and find a guru in your area. Check the trusted mechanics list in the 101 section.

You don't have fuel lines that you can crack open.

TDICrazier

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
thanks friends i'll check those trusted ones. i heard there is one in whittier but that is 2 hours drive from me on regular speed of 80mph - mine is in limp mode only 40mph :(

seeing a mechanic is really my last resort, i am trying to see if i can fix it myself... hope to hear more from you guys... big thanks.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Sorry my mistake, I was thinking of the non pd engine and forgot to check the details:)

It might be worth having a look at the cam for wear as that can cause a very rough idle and I would've thought noise too.

TDICrazier

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
what is symptom of cam wear? in last april, i had dealer check cam but at the time they said it was good...

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
there are all sorts of symptoms for cam wear. Best would be to take off the valve cover and take a look yourself. Post pictures in this thread if you're not sure. You can also take the lower hose off the intercooler. A little bit of oil coming out is normal, but a lot could signify a bigger issue (probably with your turbo)

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
anyone else has an advice?
Can you record a short video of how car runs and with hood open, then post it here and we can see what exactly its doing? This way we can give you some general simple stuff to look for.

TDICrazier

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
Can you record a short video of how car runs and with hood open, then post it here and we can see what exactly its doing? This way we can give you some general simple stuff to look for.
good idea, i'll record one this evening when i get home... thanks.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
thanks will do. just try to resolve the issue myself if possible.
Definitely need to have it checked out by a qualified TDI mechanic, that eliminates most dealership techs. Guru from the list would be your best bet.

If you are set on learning more about your car and have some basic tools and skills, I would start by pulling the valve cover for a cam inspection. It is relatively quick, easy and is a known failure mode that could lead to your symptoms. If the cam does not not have a ground down exhaust lobe(s) and the lifters have no unintended holes, I think a compression check is next. However, that is getting into more specialized tools and skills to keep from creating an unintended extra-cylindrical explosion:eek:.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
What does the motor sound like during idle and while driving? This will be a big help to us.
It could be a faulty EGR flap, but that will trip the CEL.
This is a bit in left field, but check your intercooler hoses, as they are known for blowing off, which causes extremely erratic motor behavior and a loud motor noise. I can be reattached without tools.

TDICrazier

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
thanks above. i recorded with my cell phone a video but i can't play it as it is .3pg. anyway, the sound of engine during idle is very loud and choppy, shaky badly. when i drive it, not much power but can speed up.

i have never worked on this small car so where is the intercooler hoses? i have worked on my mercedes cars a lot, rarely go to dealers, hopefully i can check out this vw myself in some degree. really appreciate if you can describe the position of the hoses...

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Stop running the car till you know what is wrong. You could be making things worse and worse if its serious.

Pull the valve cover off and check the cam now!

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
i recorded with my cell phone a video but i can't play it as it is .3pg.
.3gpp/.3gp files are just mobile-compatible MP4 files. You can play it back in QuickTime as-is or Windows Media Player if you rename them to .mp4. Or you can go to videolan.org and install VLC and play the files.

Hope that helps!

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
parked it in garage, driving another. will see a mech this friday
I would not run your engine untill you open the valve cover and look at the cam/lifters. If it is the valve lifter/cam lobe, you may be able to save pulling the head if the vavle is not damaged.

Get in there and look.